Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Zink said:

Hobbies are supposed to be fun so that crosses out those two for me plus house repairs and maintenance. I pretty much agree on your definitions. Sports can be hobbies. I might call it sport over hobby if you are real serious about it. Nothing I do is serious enough to call anything but a hobby. Some days I'm wondering if my farming is a hobby because I get distracted and dragged away from it so often. My best friend and I used to upset some people because we call everything toys. Guy buys an expensive rifle and we said nice toy. Got mad at us because hunting was very serious to him. We asked do you do it to live or just for fun. I guess for fun. Then the gun's a toy. Same thing with fancy cars, motorbikes, whatever. Unless you're making a living off it, it's all toys. ^_^

At least that happens to other people too. I was on a tour of a science lab. I commented "you have the best toys in here" referring to an awesome electron microprobe and a mass spectrometer. A guy got tweaky and went "why do women call every piece of machinery a toy?" and was rather upset about it. Fortunately the professor agreed with me and went "well, because it makes us really happy to use this equipment". Toys aren't just things for flinging around - toys are things that bring you joy! And that can be science equipment, fancy cars, rifles, whatever. It can be items that you treat with great respect, like a gun, or a million dollar instrument. 

• Like 9

I've been feeling a bit down and melancholy this week; I think a lot of people are given the state of weather, politics, etc...so this weekend:

Weekend Quest, Aug 25-27: Find something that inspires you, gives hope, joy, peace, etc...then share it.

• Like 9

My parents inspire me. For the last year and some change we have been working to get the family farm back into working shape. It's fallen somewhat into disrepair due to my dad and I both working away for the last two decades. For the past month they have been rebuilding the barn. It's still structurally in great shape, but needed some TLC, a few replaced beams, etc. I spent 4 days of vacation helping them, and it's amazing to me how awesome they are, and how much they have gotten done, particularly since none of us are carpenters. 

@TaleSpinner I hope you feel better soonest :). 

• Like 9

Weekend Quest, Aug 25-27: Find something that inspires you, gives hope, joy, peace, etc...then share it.

My dog gives me joy.

My girl gives me hope, joy and inspires me.

My hobby gives me peace.

Not looking at news also helps...

• Like 10
31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've been feeling a bit down and melancholy this week; I think a lot of people are given the state of weather, politics, etc...so this weekend:

I'm running a camping event for 300 people. Quest completed.

• Like 6
On 8/23/2017 at 1:11 PM, Auberon said:

I know people that do those things, and none of them are rich.

My job typically leaves me exhausted and unwilling to do work-like activities. There was a time I was unemployed and I filled it with baking bread. I didn't do it long enough to get good at it, but it was enjoyable and something I'd love to be able to do more often. My dream job could roughly be described as "housewife" but that's basically unaffordable anymore. We both have to work. 

Which is is why I said "rich as sin".

On 8/24/2017 at 5:31 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 24: Outside the realm of miniature/gaming related activities, what is another hobby that you enjoy?

Reading (fiction, history, mythology, etc), freehand embroidery, drawing and painting (on flat surfaces), cooking and baking, and sewing.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

My window. Let me explain. My window faces the East. When I awake the faint light of early morning suffuses the thin foam boards I have covering the window, giving the room a glowing blue aura. I have been given another day to live as well as I can.

I will admit to being one of those people who always seem to be happy. I'm not always happy, but I seem to be. It annoys a lot of people, which adds to the happiness.

There was a Sanskrit poem I knew in it's entirety. Now I just recall the finishing lines. It sums up my view of life & explains that annoying happiness better than I could:

For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow an illusion.

But today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness.

And every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this day.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The amount of potential in my kids gives me hope for their futures.  That's about it for right now.

• Like 5

I don't have a lot of that at the moment. But in general, actually doing my hobbies makes me happy and peaceful. Teaching is stressful but makes me feel useful, and I need that. Uhh... snuggles. Simple snuggles. That makes me peaceful. But I think overall I have an unfortunate nihilistic streak, at least at the present.

• Like 5

All of you here on the forums.:wub:

• Like 8
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My cat brings me joy and peace. She was about 15 when we brought her in off the streets a decade ago. She is a tiny black cat with tattered ears, scars, and a broken fang. But she is full of so much love and snuggles and purrs. She is my little old lady cat and I love her. 

Edited by Argentee
  • Like 8
2 hours ago, malefactus said:

My window. Let me explain. My window faces the East. When I awake the faint light of early morning suffuses the thin foam boards I have covering the window, giving the room a glowing blue aura. I have been given another day to live as well as I can.

I will admit to being one of those people who always seem to be happy. I'm not always happy, but I seem to be. It annoys a lot of people, which adds to the happiness.

There was a Sanskrit poem I knew in it's entirety. Now I just recall the finishing lines. It sums up my view of life & explains that annoying happiness better than I could:

For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow an illusion.

But today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness.

And every tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this day.

That's a great poem.

I need to remember this and act more like it.

• Like 5