Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've been feeling a bit down and melancholy this week; I think a lot of people are given the state of weather, politics, etc...so this weekend:

Weekend Quest, Aug 25-27: Find something that inspires you, gives hope, joy, peace, etc...then share it.

Making things with my hands always helps me feel better, but it's watching my kids that inspires me.  Most of them have had obstacles to overcome regarding physical and/or mental health issues, but that doesn't stop them from being kind, compassionate and generous--even to each other.  They are deep thinkers and care about helping others.  What more could I ask for?  

• Like 9
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've been feeling a bit down and melancholy this week; I think a lot of people are given the state of weather, politics, etc...so this weekend:

Weekend Quest, Aug 25-27: Find something that inspires you, gives hope, joy, peace, etc...then share it.

I'm back and ready to answer questions...

Inspiration... I enjoy reading and painting but when I really need to sit back dig deep and find inspiration and motivation I first look outside at nature... Then I look at all the other hobbyists who find great joy and expression through art. Their skill, their passion, it drives me and inspires me to look past the hardships of life and enjoy the simplier things. Some call it vain, pointless, and maybe they are right in the grand scheme of things.. but looking at the joy it brings people to do something, to create something, even if "in the grand scheme of things" it is "pointless" just makes it that much more valuable to me. Specific examples for the weekend.. All those wonderful revealed Bones IV goals.. The videos Dr Faust put on youtube "Painting Ad Mech Belisarius". FalKKone released his cover of "Force your way" from final fantasy 8. And other forum dwellers (and more importantly the ones dwelling in KS comments) have been feeding me advice thats been motivating and inspiring me. 

• Like 4
23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My mushroom sculpts  made it into bones 4!   Does  that count?

• Like 14

Aug 25-27th: Hobbywise, a lot of my inspiration comes from viewing the show off gallery here. I almost always see something that gives me ideas. As to general peace/ relaxation, I've just been grooving on not having to go back to a job I was dreading. 

8 minutes ago, emmagine said:

Congratulations! The world always needs more fungus folk.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Argentee said:

My cat brings me joy and peace. She was about 15 when we brought her in off the streets a decade ago. She is a tiny black cat with tattered ears, scars, and a broken fang. But she is full of so much love and snuggles and purrs. She is my little old lady cat and I love her. 

I would like to see pictures of a 25 year old cat. That would inspire some hope. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, TGP said:

I would like to see pictures of a 25 year old cat. That would inspire some hope. 

Spoilered for Size, but here she is helping me paint...

Spoiler

59a172d648cab_BellaCatPainting-1.thumb.jpg.e3900c752c018f8d24e9dd5f5cc998a5.jpg

Well, more of disapproving of me painting when I could be petting the cat.

And here she is laying on top of me. This one looks like a glamor shot.

Spoiler

59a171842c022_BellaCat-1.thumb.jpg.0f078f7099b123d162357da1f33edebf.jpg

Every year there are more white hairs in her black coat, and there are boxes or chairs left around the house to help her climb up and down from things because she doesn't jump any more. But she is cuddled and loved and will be until the end.

• Like 14
On 8/25/2017 at 5:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Painting, reading, and video gaming and our cat give me the most joy and peace in no particular order. They give me an escape from real world going ons and our cat gives me never ending cuddles and love.

• Like 5
On 8/26/2017 at 5:35 AM, emmagine said:

I knew I recognized those! Great work!

My husband gives me hope and joy. Hobbying gives me peace. The boundless beauty in the world inspires me. 

I'd say my cat gives me peace, but she's hardly ever content just sit on me. Has to head butt me, dig her sharp little talons into me, stand on my boobs. Then there's the weird meows when she wants food/water/attention. :rolleyes:

• Like 9
On 8/25/2017 at 8:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I've been mulling over this all weekend.  Having a toothache didn't help.  (I saw a dentist about it this morning.  Which, by the way, is almost always the correct thing to do when you have a toothache.  Toothaches suck.)

My current best response is: Spending time with my wife, talking about whatever, gives me joy and peace.  We can talk about almost anything.  Sometimes being in the same room but working on our own different projects is enough.

• Like 5
On 8/26/2017 at 0:39 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Last week, as some of you might recall, I had a bit of a rant on Facebook about hating my painting. I'd had a bad night's session, things weren't going well and it was really getting to me. Anyway, in amongst some really supportive and uplifting comments, my good friend sent me this message:

"Bro, when Riley died you posted about how you had massive respect for him because he worked damn hard at his craft. From my perspective you are the same way with your painting. You got me into painting and I'm grateful for that. There are hurdles in anything you do in life. If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing. You stick with it and it will be awesome."

For a bit of context, Riley was a friend and former coworker of ours who died in a traffic accident a year ago. At the time I'd made mention of how much I admired his dedication to his photography - the guy would think nothing of sitting on an overpass in the freezing cold all night to get a time lapse shot that he wanted - and for someone to show the same kind of admiration to me was incredibly touching (I may have teared up a little at the farmer's market).

So, I guess the thing that gives me inspiration, hope, joy, and peace is that I have some pretty amazing people in my life that I'm lucky to call my friends - and that includes a lot of the folks right here on these forums.

• Like 6

August 28: What do you do when you have a case of the Mondays?

1 minute ago, etherial said:

August 28: What do you do when you have a case of the Mondays?

Music is usually my mood-improver of choice. Avengers Assemble is a lovely mix of fast-paced hard rock that gets me going even when most other things don't.

Edited by etherial
  • Like 4