Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

August 28: What do you do when you have a case of the Mondays?

My life is a series of Monday. Most Mondays aren't that bad but other days take up the slack. I am very good at both plowing through difficulties and switching plans to get something, anything accomplished. Most days I don't let it bother me. If it's people stupidity that gets me angry I have a heavy bag in the basement that gets a work out. If it's mechanical breakdowns, weather or other things that I can't really do anything about I take a day off and try to do something fun with the family.

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 29: How old are you?

43 physically. Got some dings and moving slower than I used to. Was starting to get chubby but this year I buckled down and lost a few pounds and have been more active than I was. Found some exercises that got my knee and ankle working more like they should and that made it easier. Mentally hard to say. Don't feel that much different in my mind than I did 20 years ago. Still trying to do the same things as back then except chase girls. I wasn't any good at it anyway so I'll stick with what I've got.

• Like 6
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I tend not to say anything and let people guess. At first glance I look early 20s (pimply skin, blonde hair to hide the grays, nothing sags). Then I open my mouth and some life experience or another falls out (fleeing an abusive ex, running and losing a business, dealing with a hate crime) and suddenly people wonder if I'm some sort of absurdly young-looking 40s.

I'm in the middle of those two. I'm 34. I've just... seen and done stuff. 

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Like 7

Forgot to answer this.

I have a case of the Mondays a lot, especially when at work.

I remind myself of the good things in life, like my girl and stepvixens, my dog, my friends ( that includes you guys!) , my hobby and stuff like that.

Sometimes the Brainweasels get me, but I usually recover.

• Like 7
17 hours ago, etherial said:

My current job and previous job were both at 24/7 production facilities, so Mondays are the same as every other day of the week.

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Old enough to be younger than most of the people posting here.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

By amusing coincidence, I'm only a couple of months younger than my wife, who is also 47.

18 hours ago, etherial said:

Isn't that what we have beer for?

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, John Fiala said:

By amusing coincidence, I'm only a couple of months younger than my wife, who is also 47.

Isn't that what we have beer for?

See, now I want to make a microbre and call it The Mondays.  Give a new meaning to "Have a case of The Mondays?".

• Like 7
19 hours ago, etherial said:

Music is usually my mood-improver of choice. Avengers Assemble is a lovely mix of fast-paced hard rock that gets me going even when most other things don't.

It's been awhile since Mondays were a return to work day. Monday has become my favorite day of the week, but I used to psche myself into believing that Monday would be a super/memorable day for me...that worked surprisingly well.

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Seventy. However, there is an enthusiastic eight year old boy micromillimeters below the surface.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 9
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Born before we walked on the moon, by about a month!

9 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Older than dirt. But only fairly young dirt. (56)

We don't say dirt.  The correct term is soil.

Though, I have to admit, if I ever trick the Env. Sci. professor that espouses that, I'll have a most excellent day!

He's a tough nut to crack...

• Like 7

Random thought on the age question - I generally don't really "feel" my age.  I don't think of myself as being in the 40s.  Sure, college was a long time ago (measured by years), but not really all that long if I stop and think about it.  (Same thing with my kids - I could have sworn that, just a few weeks ago, they were tiny little things, in that burrito-baby stage, and now the eldest is entering 8th grade.  When did that happen?)

And then I went and ran speed drills with the eldest's cross-country team.  And suddenly I feel the weight of at least a couple of those decades.  Those kids are fast!

• Like 7

I'm interested to see that I'm not alone in the 56 cohort...

That makes me old enough to have bought the first commercial fantasy miniatures, and to have played wargames with Airfix figures before that. 

As for mental age, I still delight in toy soldiers. I'm doing my best to stay physically fit as long as I can...

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Grayfax said:

We don't say dirt.  The correct term is soil.

Though, I have to admit, if I ever trick the Env. Sci. professor that espouses that, I'll have a most excellent day!

He's a tough nut to crack...

You and the "Environmental Science" professor are welcome to use the effete, French-derived, Latinate term. I prefer the Germanic term derived from Old Norse.

As should all right-thinking people. :B):

• Like 9