Getting to Know Each Other, August 2017

7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

August 31: Have you ever found treasure?

(This can take many forms from buried treasure to a really great estate sale find worth way more than you paid for it, etc.)

With an imagination bigger than the whole outdoors, everything I found as a kid was treasure. (Including some stuff that really wasn't, like the time I found a pot pipe at a parade:blink: I was young enough I had no idea what it was)

Now that I'm older, not much has changed.

(Although I am now more careful about the stuff I find....)

• Like 6
  • Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tha deff dumpster

I feel yer pain, both of yez. I am fortunate to have a partner who encourages me, though, with minis. "OMG! IT COMES WITH THAT MANY GOBLINS! GET IT! GET IT! WHAT? YOU WEREN'T GOING TO GET THOSE ADO

Yes. My current strategy is to keep clicking on things until there' nothing left to get.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

(This can take many forms from buried treasure to a really great estate sale find worth way more than you paid for it, etc.)

In a source that I never would have counted.  Granted, I count finding my wife a treasure as well, but that's a different kind of mushy story.

My wife's grandfather had Alzheimer's and was getting mid to late stages.  To the point he was starting to wander and was giving away tools or money to people that came by the house.  Her whole family was distressed but could find no solutions.  We thought about moving there and trying to take over the day care center her grandmother ran, but after watching my wife go back and interact with the town she grew up in that had turned their back on her mother when her father divorced her, I knew she wouldn't be able to take it.  I had recently moved to the university and still had a 401k where I had worked that was fairly sizable, but had not migrated it to it's permanent home yet.

I convinced my wife and then her family that we needed to buy a house that we could move everyone into so that we could take shifts and have someone watching him full time for as long as possible.  I looked and looked for houses and had glossed over our current one because I figured we couldn't afford it in the neighborhood it is in (adjacent to the second best neighborhood in town) and from the front of the house it did not look very large.  There were issues with all of the other ones, so I finally got around to this one.  It was deceptive.  It had enough bedrooms for all of us (plus eventually my wife's sister) and I could afford the downpayment with some restructuring and some extra tax from early withdrawal.  

It wasn't easy treasure.  But we learned a lot about each other.  We all went through a difficult experience and we did it in close quarters.  But we all came to peace with each other (which had been difficult for my wife and her mother previously) and we got her family out of what would have been a long difficult drawn out exit from the town they were in.  Her grandmother was still running the daycare at 81 and still is tough.  

Out of everyone, I think I gained the most from it.  I really got to know her grandparents.  I understand her mother better than ever and eventually managed to help her see that it was ok for her to get married again (small town religious stigma is a difficult burden).  I spent time with them and was intentionally with them.  Even though he has gone on, I feel like I made a difference in how his life ended.  

Sure it was a treasure that cost me money personally, but treasures in the heart are hard to put a price tag on and never fade away.  

• Like 8

This isn't prime treasure hunting area but 3 things come to mind. Walking across my the yard at the farm I once found a small badly warped diamond ring. Think it's still around somewhere. I have a black glossy rock that I was told might be a meteorite. Hmm, some geologists on here, maybe need to ask them about it. I also have a very nice fist sized stone indian hammer. My dad had a nice little collection of stone arrowheads but I think somebody swiped them.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I left it open.  Treasure can mean many things. Like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.  Just don't cut out my eyes looking for it.

Don't you mean "Eye Beast"?

on my honeymoon in Fiji, I found a complete spider conch she'll walking on the beach with my then new bride....

• Like 4

I collect antique weapons.  A few years ago my wife and I were at a swap meet. One of the vendors had a large array of 20th century war artifacts, mostly gear from WWI and WWII.  On one table, he had a really old keris dagger similar to the following, but more aged and worn looking (though still sharp):

ph-0.jpg

I asked him what he wanted for it.  He wasn't sure as he had gotten it in a box of WWII items and really didn't know what it was.  I looked in my wallet and had only 2 twenties left.  I showed him that and he said I could have it for that.  So I bought it for $40.

When I got it home I started doing research on it.  It turns out that it was forged in the far East, sometime in the 16th century, and at nearly 600 years old is the oldest in my collection. It is likely worth at least $500, more likely upwards of $1000.

About a year later, I went to our local auction house with my wife on one of her many buying trips.  They had advertised guns, knives, and a sword at this one.  I hadn't had time to preview the sword, but wasn't hopeful because it was advertised as a Chinese sword. Typically this meant, cheap Chinese made wall hanger.  When I got there, the auction was already going on.  I went up to the case and looked at the "Chinese" sword. My heart almost dropped into my gut.  I had all I could do to maintain a poker face and only show mild interest in front of all the other auction goers. It wasn't a Chinese sword; it was Japanese.  It was clearly a cut down Japanese katana set as a saber in the style they did in WWII.  This sword could be worth anywhere from $1000 to $200,000 depending on who made it, who wielded it, etc...  I asked to look at it and must have rolled a 20 on my acting check as no one seemed to notice the excitement growing in me as I realized that it had all the right features of the real deal as opposed to a knock off.  The real eel-skin grip, the detailed brass fittings, the standard WWII Japanese scabbard, the very sharp blade, etc.  I could see right away that it was not a folded blade which immediately dropped it down under $5000.  It was not one of the family blades re-fit for the war.  Instead, it was a saber commissioned by the government to be awarded to a commander who didn't already have a sword of his own.

I bid on it and got it for $80.  No one on the internet bid, likely because they didn't even look at it, thinking it to be a cheep Chinese wall hanger that this auction house so frequently gets.  No one in house bid much, because none of them knew what it was.  Without any real collectors on the internet vying for it, I got it for a song.  After researching it, I have so far been able to place it as a commander's sword dating to the Japanese occupation of the Philippines, prior to WWII.  The insignia on the hilt were often indicative of the time and place.  The quality of the insignia on mine likely places it at mid-war, just before the US liberated the Philippines (it isn't as perfect as some of the early models because most of the craftsmen had already been sent to war by that time). It is likely worth $1,000 to $5,000.  If I can figure out who carried it and where it came from exactly, it will be worth a lot more. I often look at and wonder what it had been through.  Had it ever been used?  Did any GIs lose their lives on this blade? It is a sobering reminder to me to cherish the peace we have today, it wasn't always so.

Stories about swords make me happy.::):

• Like 5

Aug 30: I'd invest in one of the painting dvd sets and use the leftover on brushes.

Aug 31st: In 2000 I was helping a friend clean his basement and had looting rights. Found an old german backpack. The import stamp said 1958, and I've tentatively identified it as coming from the Wehrmacht alpine division. Been carrying/using it for 17 years now. a few tears and only one of the leather straps remains on the cover, but considering it's age the durability amazes me.

Helping another friend clean his attic I found a history of the civil war written in 1865, the cover was missing and the condition was poor, as it was underneath the floorboards being used as insulation. Not worth all that much moneywise, but an interesting find.

• Like 2
On 8/28/2017 at 9:48 PM, Cyradis said:

August 28: What do you do when you have a case of the Mondays?

There have been days I just stop trying to do anything else. (Some guys I used to work with had a saying, "never write more in the morning, than you can erase in the afternoon".)  

If you are trapped in a hole continued digging only makes it worse... (there's a song about dwarves in there someplace.)

~~~

On 8/29/2017 at 7:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 29: How old are you?

Old enough to know that real names, ssns, and any hint of real birthdays have no place on the internet. 

~~~

On 8/30/2017 at 9:19 AM, TaleSpinner said:

August 30: A friend emails you a $100 Reaper gift certificate, how do you spend it?

On the twelves days of Reapermas. 

~~~

19 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I haven't ever found anything like a dabloon or a old dagger or anything. I did find some AD&D e1 books at a garage sale once. 

I am not even sure what the laws are if I dug up some old coins. Sometimes there's unexpected laws about such things. 

Edited by TGP
Typo
  • Like 2

Treasure: I just found all the earrings I was missing. Moving is useful for some things. I'm happy to say I have my lapis lazuli, green amber, pearl, moonstone, and kitty cat earrings. I got ridiculously excited about it and ended up having a book fall on me too :rolleyes:

• Like 5