Tank Legions??

SuMicus

"If a Faction's General/ Field Commander wanted to do a Tank Legion, would this work???"

(I am still very Green and wet behind the ears.)

That would be a Huge amount of Honkin Tanks! Would for sure need a whole deck of cards just for activations!! HAAAAA!!!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do it, but there are some problems. While tanks are generally cheaper than CAV, they tend to be (1) slower; (2) less versatile (with only 1 or 2 weapon systems), and (3) more short-lived.

With that said, I typically take a section of Chieftan Tanks - at 122 points, with a decent move and two weapon systems (one anti-hard target, one anti-soft), they're okay at finishing off damaged CAVs or hunting down any dedicated soft-target killers. When the Outlaw comes out, I will be getting a couple of those as well.

I think that a lot of people here will agree that it's entirely possible to field a one-dimensional force (all Cavs or all tanks, etc.). However, I also think that most people will agree that in the current state of the game you really need a combined arms force to be able to handle all the different opponents that will come at you.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you. I was stating that I played an amoured colum and had fun doing it, I saw the weakness with it while doing so.

I had CAVs on the other side of the table and I noticed that they were the first ones taken out and the arnour was ignored for the most part.

I wholly agree that combined arms are the way to go, but you know, sometimes it's just fun to do something different.

"If a Faction's General/ Field Commander wanted to do a Tank Legion, would this work???"

(I am still very Green and wet behind the ears.)

Yes, but you absolutely HAVE to support that armored column with air support of some kind. You simply aren't going to bring the kind of firepower that you need with just tanks, you gotta have the long range striking power that aircraft (Tsuisekis and Kharls) provide to soften up and funnel your fire lanes.

My Tournament Rach Tank Company has 2x sections of Despots, 1x section of Kharls and an understrength section of 2 Harpys. They went 2-1 a couple of months back.

Here's some pics

sabre_despots_formation.jpg

&

sabre_despot_one.jpg

Cheers!

Last Tourney I played in, I had a Section of 2 Despots, and 2 Chiftains.

Holy COW!! Not only did they get ignored in the First Rounds, I Cratered an undamaged Wraith , and anihilated a Scorpion in another round....

the best Advice I can give to a Tanker, Stay with your Section, Concentrate Firepower, and DO NOT get Jumped by a Section of CAVs with Good Weapons vs. HARD targets. you will lose, and Fast!

Tim

P.S. Hey HM! NICE Paint. Schweeet!

Yes someone in our area is a big time "tread-head." He actually is fielding a very sizeable force of tanks in the campaign we're playing in. Unfortunately it hasn't ever been played yet. However, because they are relatively inexpensive to buy (compared to CAV's) he's able to put many upgrades on them. Essentially it seems he is getting quantitiy with quality and that should make him a serious threat.

Of course, there are ways to stop him... *insert maniacal laugh*... better not come my way!

Personally I think CAV offers a great opportunity for something I've always wanted to see and that is a quasi WWII tank battle. One of these days I'll have enough tanks and find someone willing to play out some similar WWII historical games.

As of yet I've only owned Despots but everyone who has seen them in action (and didn't own any tanks) have been thoroughly impressed and ended up buying some along with other tanks. The Despot consistently has staying power. Unfortunately I've not had much success with taking out CAV's with them, but WOW do they stick around and bug the poop out of opponents.

BTW Human-Machine... sweet looking paint jobs! Very cool :B):

Yeah, I'm definitely liking Despots and Chieftans. Chieftans make nice little harassers. Didn't get much done with Despots the first time I ran them, but the Chieftans...

The Chieftans, on the other hand, were a source of endless annoyance to my enemies, as Frosch will attest. I think they spent more time trying to kill those little buggers than anything else on the board. Pop out of cover, zap something, pop back in, repair... they make great cleanup sweepers, I agree.

I'm still ambivalent on Despots, though the IFM is okay. I really do like the Chieftans - you use your superiority CAVs to weaken the foe, then the hovers sweep in and kill them off.

Last Monday, I used a section of 4 Chieftans and a section of 3 Sabres + 1 Sabretooth. Those two sections did more to win me the game than did my section of heavy hitters. The Sabres shut down aircraft in a remarkably short time and the Chieftans were able to advance and take out the Outlaws which were targeting my forces.

Actually - the CAV really did help. They gave my opponent something to shoot at instead of my ground forces. :lol:

Mmm, tanks...

*Must not bring Imperial Guard into CAV*

*oops*

LOL!!!!!!!

Well, locally here - Erion and a few others are trying to get more involved into this great game...

There is a fella here, that wants in, and is talking Tank Batteries... That is why I ask. He is a friend...

Deciding-

1) Should we let him buy the Tanks by the pile fulls?

- or -

2) Direct him into buying More CAVs??

It would be fun, to play against that many tanks, and I believe he would have a good time playing them.

He will be extremely new to the game, and maybe, just maybe we should direct him.. heheheheeeeeee...