19 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you're looking for some pretty stuff, you might try Scale75, Nuts Planet, FER, Nocturna, .... 

Resin casting tends to be short-run, and it doesn't take as much infrastructure as metal spin-casting or (especially) high-pressure injection molding, so there are a bunch of garage companies, some of which have amazing sculptors.

OK - I’m back out of that rabbit hole.  I’ve seen some amazing painted models before but never looked at them very closely.

Unfortunately, I’m pretty certain that if I put paint on any of this stuff, it will end up a lot less pretty.  I have a ways to go before I’m going to feel like I can do justice to these kinds of models.

I am curious about how they’re made though.  I’ve seen metal spin casting at the Reaper factory, and I’m familiar with injection molding.  How are resin models made?  I’m assuming this is a low temp / low pressure process, since it seems like many small companies can do it.  Do they make silicone molds of original sculpts and pour in liquid resin that cures?  It’s amazing the level of detail they’re able to reproduce in what must be a pretty artisanal setup.  I can’t even fathom how they’re able to create that level of detail with greenstuff!  I can barely fill and smooth over a gap with it.

Edited by rubegon
grammar and stuff
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, rubegon said:

Do they make silicone molds of original sculpts and pour in liquid resin that cures?  

That’s my understanding, thought I’ve never done it myself.

I can’t even fathom how they’re able to create that level of detail with greenstuff! 

Again, not a sculptor myself, but I do know there are sculpting materials other than green stuff that various sculptors use. I believe some require baking to harden.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

OK - I’m back out of that rabbit hole.  I’ve seen some amazing painted models before but never looked at them very closely.

Unfortunately, I’m pretty certain that if I put paint on any of this stuff, it will end up a lot less pretty.  I have a ways to go before I’m going to feel like I can do justice to these kinds of models.

Okay...    

Here's the problem. Most of those models are short run. 200 is common, 500 is pretty much max. 

(the moulds never lasts very long, so they constantly have to make new ones, and that wears on the master, also. )

So if you like a model, you BUY IT NOW, because if you wait until you're actually capable of painting it, odds are that it was sold out a long time ago, and now only available as a bad Chinese recast. And we DO NOT condone buying that recast.    

(We may accept Cadwallon recasts of old Confrontation pieces, but only because the company that owns the IP now is a big sackful of orcs. )

So I have a lot of fantastic minis from Scale75, Black Sun and all the others. Mostly they're stored in plastic boxes, but now and then I take one out to admire it... And sometimes I spot a mold line or some flash, and I say to myself, 'hey, I can fix that!' and that model takes a small step towards completion. 

A few of them have even gotten a coat of primer, and in the case of the 75mm Lady Mechanica from the 'Tesla's Legacy' series from Kabuki, I've even shot some base colour. (only on the 'base' that the mini is attached to, but still... )

If you want a boxfull of resins to start out on, snag a copy of Signum The Game. 

Sure, it's 32mm scale, not 75mm or 120, but they still got a whole lot of detail in there, and many of the nonhuman races are significantly taller than humans. 

Also the sculpts are pretty nice. Very 'Confrontational'.

I'm actually about to drop them an order(not for the game, I have that) for their new Ulrike the Pathfinder.

LOS_Ulrike.jpg.e61f6ba1d6bc251cee1595d274ca2c5d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Disserrma said:

IIrc reaper's online store has an auto tracker for stock (as soon as it's in a cart the number goes down) so if you got it from them directly and there were things in stock you should be good.

Nope, had to use a 3rd party place as Reaper doesn't let you have any out of stock stuff in an order (something I didn't know before, and is honestly a bit of a pain in the bum), and what was left didn't reach the free shipping limit.

I asked nicely if my one in stock item can be sent separately, otherwise it'll probably be late November before I get anything.

• Sad 7

9 hours ago, rubegon said:

If you wait until you're "good enough", you'll never paint anything. Because the better you get, the more you see the problems in your painting, so the farther away "good enough" looks. Paint the minis you love now; they'll make more minis you will love in the future.

(Note: I'm speaking at least as much to myself as to you there. It's a really easy trap to fall into.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

In a recent visit to exotic Marble Falls, we stopped by True Value for some necessities; i.e., Master Plumber Epoxy Putty AND SureHold Plastic Surgery (regular & super gel):

DSCN8633.thumb.JPG.b0bcd071553888fef2ededbb08116f65.JPG

That is life in the fast lane...or express aisle; take your pick.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

So if you like a model, you BUY IT NOW, because if you wait until you're actually capable of painting it, odds are that it was sold out a long time ago, and now only available as a bad Chinese recast.

See, now this is the kind of enablement I need!:rolleyes:

Mostly they're stored in plastic boxes, but now and then I take one out to admire it... And sometimes I spot a mold line or some flash, and I say to myself, 'hey, I can fix that!' and that model takes a small step towards completion. 

A few of them have even gotten a coat of primer, and in the case of the 75mm Lady Mechanica from the 'Tesla's Legacy' series from Kabuki, I've even shot some base colour. (only on the 'base' that the mini is attached to, but still... )

This sounds like exactly what I would do!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I’ll check out Signum.  I might get one of the add-on models at first.  I’d love to get something from one of the others, but a bit hesitant to drop ~$50 on a single model.  The Signum ones are much lower price.  Would you say they’re better quality than the GF9 ones?  Those are bigger production runs of 1500 usually.  I wonder if that’s why the quality is lower (and if earlier casts are better maybe?).

7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

If you wait until you're "good enough", you'll never paint anything. Because the better you get, the more you see the problems in your painting, so the farther away "good enough" looks. Paint the minis you love now; they'll make more minis you will love in the future.

(Note: I'm speaking at least as much to myself as to you there. It's a really easy trap to fall into.)

I can already see this is true.  I’m a lot better than I was 6 months ago, and I’m maybe even more reluctant to paint anything other than Bones.  The metal models are piling up, and I’ve only assembled a few, tried burnishing a couple, touched a file to one or two.  What am I waiting for!?

Edited by rubegon
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, rubegon said:

I used to put off painting Busts and Large Scale for years because of this sentiment.

Then I was issued a challenge and painted my first bust.

Never looked back and now I just paint those as well.

You will never paint such a model if you keep putting it off till you think you're good enough.

And that's a shame because you will miss out on a lot of fun, and that's what the hobby is all about.

So, hereby I the Glorious Leader of WOOF order you to pick a gorgeous sculpt you're afraid off, and PAINT IT!

You will thank me later.

Paint, learn and move on!

DDDOOOOO EEEEEEETTT!!!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Corsair said:

The Wolf is wise.

dog-meme-3.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 13

Thanks for the recommendation.  I’ll check out Signum m.  I might get one of the add-on models at first.  I’d love to get something from one of the others, but a bit hesitant to drop ~$50 on a single model.  The Signim ones are much lower price.  Would you say they’re better quality than the GF9 ones?  Those are bigger production runs of 1500 usually.  I wonder if that’s why the quality is lower (and if earlier casts are better maybe?).

Note that Signum models are first produced in Resin, then Metal, so read up first. Metals should have the word 'Metal' on the picture, but...     

The main kits are still Resin, though. 

They're not entirely to the level of Kimera or Scale75, and you can expect to use a bit of GS or other putty where parts fits together, but most details are much better than metal. 

I don't have any GF9 minis that I'm aware of. 

(I have a very comprehensive spreadsheet)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Added two more models to my 54mm World War One range

img_1676.jpgPetty Officer, Royal Naval Air Service, Antwerp 1914

TW32AL01.4-500x566.jpg Italian Marine, San Marco Regiment Second Battle of Piave River 1917

• Like 16

40 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Note that Signum models are first produced in Resin, then Metal, so read up first. Metals should have the word 'Metal' on the picture, but...     

The main kits are still Resin, though. 

They're not entirely to the level of Kimera or Scale75, and you can expect to use a bit of GS or other putty where parts fits together, but most details are much better than metal. 

Dems close to fightin' words!  don't go starting a metal vs resin argument here::P:

In all seriousness.  most of the high end sculpts, be they metal or resin are usually excellent but all may need a little help fitting together at the joints (The number of bubbles and thin spots I have had to fill on resin models could fill a tube or two of greenstuff)  Perhaps its because i work with resin every day (making it for the wood industry) that i find no joy in working with it although i realize that in larger scales it is the better medium to work with.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rubegon said:

See, now this is the kind of enablement I need!:rolleyes:

This sounds like exactly what I would do!

Thanks for the recommendation.  I’ll check out Signum m.  I might get one of the add-on models at first.  I’d love to get something from one of the others, but a bit hesitant to drop ~$50 on a single model.  The Signim ones are much lower price.  Would you say they’re better quality than the GF9 ones?  Those are bigger production runs of 1500 usually.  I wonder if that’s why the quality is lower (and if earlier casts are better maybe?).

I can already see this is true.  I’m a lot better than I was 6 months ago, and I’m maybe even more reluctant to paint anything other than Bones.  The metal models are piling up, and I’ve only assembled a few, tried burnishing a couple, touched a file to one or two.  What am I waiting for!?

For a fabled “some day” that may never come? Trust me, paint while you can paint. Paint your fancy models, paint your bones models, paint those models from 40 years ago that look like they have no face. Just paint them. 

And, if some day, you decided that you’re “good enough”, dunk them in cleaner and repaint them. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rubegon said:

@Gadgetman! is right, I buy a lot of models I don't feel I'm skillful enough to paint yet, but I'm working on ones now that I previously thought I couldn't do as i learn new techniques and skills and practice, and he's also right that a lot of these models are limited so sometime you you need to grab something just so you have it later..

Also Mierce Miniatures makes some good resin figures too, as do Bomshell miniatures

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1