OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

Came across another Loot Crate type subscription box that focuses on the miniatures hobby called Asset Drop Heroines.  Each month is curated anf supposed to contain two female models, paint, and some accessories. Received my first shipment. 

IMG_20180314_211129.thumb.jpg.6bfcaf53e5090040e2af71d337ce6ef9.jpg

The model with the glare is named Khannisa the Slayer. 

Excited to try the War Colors paint. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Clearman said:

Came across another Loot Crate type subscription box that focuses on the miniatures hobby called Asset Drop Heroines.  Each month is curated anf supposed to contain two female models, paint, and some accessories. Received my first shipment. 

IMG_20180314_211129.thumb.jpg.6bfcaf53e5090040e2af71d337ce6ef9.jpg

The model with the glare is named Khannisa the Slayer. 

Excited to try the War Colors paint. 

Well now, that's a tempting idea.  I like that they also have a Discovery box too...  If only two boxes shipped to Canada wasn't, uhm... Over a hundred dollars Canadian, ouch  O_o 

But on the flipside, both boxes would be a nice handful of paints, accessories, and minis.  Hard to decide. 

I so have to crack open Pandora's box a touch... Know of any other miniature boxes, besides the one Privateer Press does?  Always been curious about such boxes. 

• Like 4

Recent acquisitions:

From the Box o' Goodwill I picked out:

Spoiler

A WotC Aarakocra, four CMON Massive Darkness figures - the dwarf is getting a Lawn Gnome paintjob, lol, Reaper's Con Crud Zombie, some bitz, a base with some mangled corpses on it, and the head from the Grenadier Julie Guthrie series 9906 Golden War Dragon. (Unfortunately there's too many missing/damaged parts to be still be usable as a whole dragon...)

IMG_7756.JPG.b18b86a6fb2d745a962584fd5ba5fcd6.JPG

Then we have the Darksword Female Ranger w/ Bow, one of the three Reaper 50157: Ladies of the Night , a WotC quasit, the Grenadier Wizzards and Warriors W30 Werewolf (his partner in their original blister pack, the wererat, was one of my first minis I ever owned.), the medusa from the Grenadier Dragon Lords 5002 Monsters box set,  an Oathsworn Heroines in Sensible Shoes rogue, and a Ral Partha 01-065 demon.

IMG_7757.JPG.579f342e38ff56b143e1e8ceb20f86e8.JPG

The first two in this pic were also last minute grabs from the Box - some unknown female knight with a full helm, shield and cloak whose base markings were obliterated but might be an "M" and a "P" with a space inbetween, and one of the TSR 5302 Clerics and Druids box set figures that got crushed into a puddle. I'm going to attempt to rehabilitate it without tearing it apart despite all the massive bending required.

The rest were eBay purchases: an elf missing his sword from the TSR 5306 D&D Basic Figure Set box, a Ral Partha Tom Meier figure with a square base I can't identify (despite it looking really familiar because of the design on the shield), and a RAFM 3858 Scarecrow on Tombstone (which was waaay too cool to pass up, lol)...

IMG_7759.JPG.e136cef90b1a06ded453ea6b74a45efb.JPG

Other recent EvilBay purchases have included:

- The figures from the Ral Partha 10-510 D&D Basic Heroes box set, which were acquired from three different sellers in total (the wizard is missing the hand with the wand). I got eight of the figures in one auction, and the other two from different individuals.

- Approximately half the figures from the Grenadier Dragon Lords 2018 Female Adventurers set... I already have a full set, but have now managed to get a second copy of the stone maiden, cleric, assassin and fighter. I've also got a line on the valkyrie and the thief but haven't purchased them yet.

- And also three of the Ral Partha AD&D 11-0XX Adventurers:

The male from 11-019 Wandering Sorcerers

RP-11-019.jpg

The male from 11-022 Oriental Fighters

RP-11-022.jpg

And the female from 11-021 Berzerker Barbarians

RP-11-021.jpg

This brings me up to 22 of the 35 pairs completed, and another seven single figures,  for a total of 51 of the 70 miniatures in that line.

There's a male berzerker barbarian available at Noble Night games, but I'm holding off on it for now.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Know of any other miniature boxes

I tried Model Box for a few months.  It's considerably more random and is also shipped from the UK, but did have some Reaper products one month.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, haldir said:

I can smell the foam now. Nice buys. 

The Corporate Dragon is lead and was still shrinked, so he'd been sealed a loooonnnnng time.  I think everyone in the neighbourhood could smell his foam. 

I may have taken the better part of a decade off my lifespan breathing that in. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

@Mad Jack  That figure with the heartbreak shield is part of a Mounted and On Foot Set - Leonara, I think?

Lemme check...

Yep, 01-404  http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Mounted_Heroes

She's one of the non-TSR on my hunt list because I can't find her scattered bits in IWM's DF sku system, I'm not even sure she's been entered yet.  She may be a casualty of FASA-era disorganization.  If you can complete her mounted version as well you'll have an obscure little gem (and I will be quite jealous). 

• Like 3

Damn - I didn't even think to look for one of the mounted heroes... Which is kinda a rookie move on my part since I just got the damn Witch King less than a month ago...  :devil:   Explains why I recognized her...

Yeah, I couldn't find her on IWM either.

Re: Foam...

..It's even better than sniffing magic markers, innit?  ::D:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

Yes... well... we had an unidentified-era Lord Soth's charge back in the 90's that we couldn't determine the metal composition of so I had the brilliant idea to lick Soth's cape to find out.

It was Ralidium.

I think.

Pretty sure.  Anyway, what's a few crain bells lost?  I got plenty.  Dozens, even. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Anyway, what's a few crain bells lost?  I got plenty.  Dozens, even. 

And it's not like you can't just get more by crackin' open sombody's melon and takin' theirs, right?

Obviously, that's why zombies like eating brains - cuz it makes them smarter...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So after looking over my pile of unopened blisters I noticed quite a few youthful magic-users (and one magic-user-adjacent), and got an Idea. That is not the acquisition.

Wanted to put them all on 25mm bases, but one of them has a wide stance and won’t fit, so I went out for tin snips to cut his base down to size. Can’t have three normal sized minis and then have Karahl Farstep manspreading all over a 50mm circle.

I can’t find snips anywhere in town. At all.

So. Plan B. Went down to the FLGS and picked out a replacement, 03433: Corim the Gnome. Chosen for two reasons: 1) pretty sure a gnome is smaller than 25mm and 2) that was literally the only male wizard they carried in metal.

Also picked up 02830: Wolf Pack. Because wolves.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clearman said:

I tried Model Box for a few months.  It's considerably more random and is also shipped from the UK, but did have some Reaper products one month.

Took a look at their blog and you aren't kidding it's random.  Thanks for the info! 

I get to post pics of today's acquisitions in here when I get home, wooohooooo!  (because taking pics is hard when the packages are still at the post office) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

(because taking pics is hard when the packages are still at the post office) 

<in ghostly voice>

Use the Force, Luke... Use the Force!...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

and you aren't kidding it's random

Random can be good if you want exposure to things you wouldn't normally purchase, but this one set a new bar.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

<in ghostly voice>

Use the Force, Luke... Use the Force!...

But I don't have the ring! 

I got the ring in a cracker jack box! 

... Oh wait, wrong script. ::P:

I'll be picking it up soon enough. 

19 minutes ago, Clearman said:

Random can be good if you want exposure to things you wouldn't normally purchase, but this one set a new bar.

Agreed, and that's generally why I like subscription boxes.  Provided its a form of random that I'll generally like.  I'd love to sign up for TeeBlox, for example. 

But yeah, themes so random in that one I... I dunno.  If I had the cash I'd sooner go for that heroines and discovery box, because it's less random, is something I definitely don't normally order, and most importantly would let me try out different types of paints. 

• Like 2

Acquisitions II: Aquire Harder!

Turns out the comic book shop here now carries a selection of minis, paints (MSP HD case, GW, Army Pints), and etceteras. A (pitiful, honestly) assortment of Bones, but a pretty good selection of Knight Models Marvel and DC stuff, plus some...old...things? A few Grenadier blisters and one or two AD&D/Ral Parthas from way back. The heart wanted, but the wallet said “not today”.

I did walk out with a Friar from something called 100 Kingdoms. It was marked down to about $3.50 for some reason so I hope it’s not missing large chunks of little metal person. And Squirrel Girl volume 7, because that book is unbeatable.

I did want to ask, since somebody here probably knows, these older pewter minis contain lead, and some of them are in various stages of turning a shiny rusty brown. Is this the dreaded lead rot or just normal tarnish?

Edited by Sophie was taken
  • Like 1