OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Way cool... Actually, that'd make a really cool flying monster as well, dropping down silently out of the sky to drag off unsuspecting PCs...

28 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Personally, i was sort of thinking 2 eyestalks and you have a flump...

I love you guys.

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Kheprera said:

I love you guys.

My first thought was that it reminded me of the windwhales from the The Black Company books... Second thought was the flumph.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Kheprera said:

Went to Dallas World Aquarium. Figured this would be awesome for an undersea diorama.

20180721_165011_crop_399x579.jpg.b75ae299f03b515b2b2e3af4ca3ad74a.jpg

That looks great!

image.png.ab15f82ec13431b5360a1f7cfb5b4332.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

48 minutes ago, Kheprera said:

Went to the National Videogame Museum. Acquired a new shirt. Who recognizes?

20180722_222241.thumb.jpg.d6217d95eaad17ca562c235c5c73330c.jpg

Hubby says "YES!!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2018 at 7:39 PM, eldamir said:

Once again, not very hobby related, but then again, think of all the hobby-things I can haul now!

9443412_2018-07-1720_45.01-Copy.thumb.jpg.ec087af1e7ae38cdb12bd94ce855ee5b.jpg

We went on a road trip out west to visit the family this past week and in getting the oil changed and tires rotated on the old vehicle (which we still owed WAAAAY too much on), several other concerning (and expensive) items popped up that needed to be fixed prior to a 3000 mile drive.  Enough that we figured a bit more per month for a new vehicle was just as good as throwing loads of money at a vehicle with more and more problems cropping up every month.. 

Plus, the dealer we worked with gave me nearly half again what the old vehicle was worth on trade-in, making it a much more attractive proposition :)

It’s a 1:1 scale model. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

There's been such a scale creep on those that it's closer to 1.2:1...

Well, you know. Americans like their trucks too big to properly fit in a parking spot, making backing out a chore and causing at least three cars to end up waiting for them to get out of the aisle. It's just better that way <_<

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

Well, you know. Americans like their trucks too big to properly fit in a parking spot, making backing out a chore and causing at least three cars to end up waiting for them to get out of the aisle. It's just better that way <_<

And yet it gets the same gas mileage as the SUV it replaces with the added benefit that I no longer have to vacuum anything after I haul stuff (or borrow someone else's truck when big stuff needs to be moved)

Plus, going to malls and whatnot with crappy tiny parking spots is why we have the wife's RAV4.. 

But then again, I live solidly in suburbia so there are never 3 cars waiting for my spaces - which tend to still be reasonable sizes.. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A lot of SUVs have horrendous gas mileage. It's because they're the least optimum solution to a problem.

Incidentally, always back INTO a parking space, to avoid backing out of it because it's easier to back into one than backing out of one, particularly if the aisle between the rows isn't sized for two tractor trailers at a time. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

A lot of SUVs have horrendous gas mileage. It's because they're the least optimum solution to a problem.

Incidentally, always back INTO a parking space, to avoid backing out of it because it's easier to back into one than backing out of one, particularly if the aisle between the rows isn't sized for two tractor trailers at a time. 

True on both accounts - especially now that most newer cars come with backup cameras, making it even easier to back in to spaces (which I did about 50% of the time in the old car that didn't have a camera).  This truck even has a fancy 'where-would-you-like-your-trailer-parked?' mode that can take over your steering when backing up a trailer, which is kind of handy as I'm terrible at that .. 

My previous 2 vehicles were both 4WD SUVs - mostly because rural Wisconsin can suck eggs in the winter if you don't have AWD/4WD as an option and because I have a passel of kids to haul around - something that is gradually decreasing with age (hence the transition from Suburban to Explorer to F-150 :poke:)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

A direct response to the perverse incentives of the CAFE standards. SUVs go into the truck category while station wagons go (mostly "went") into the passenger car category.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I've been thinking about this one a lot and Imma have to disagree. Trunk access is almost always my primary concern with parking, which is why I almost always nose in. I do happily back in when I don't need trunk access.

And of course, I love pull-throughs, which are the best of both worlds: nose in, nose out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would very much like to know where...

On 7/21/2018 at 4:52 PM, Kheprera said:

Went to Dallas World Aquarium. Figured this would be awesome for an undersea diorama.

20180721_165011_crop_399x579.jpg.b75ae299f03b515b2b2e3af4ca3ad74a.jpg

...the mold lines are on that. Is it one piece? Did it need assembling?

I didn’t mean to start a parking wars thread. Oh well. 

Now I am curious to know what you have mentally pencilled in as the “problem” being solved:

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Incidentally, always back INTO a parking space, to avoid backing out of it....

That second bit ^ is good advice if operating pickup trucks. However, In many American car parks it is impossible / inadvisable / dangerous  to back in because it entails driving opposite the marked, one-way, traffic flow down the aisle. 

33 minutes ago, etherial said:

I've been thinking about this one a lot and Imma have to disagree. Trunk access is almost always my primary concern with parking, which is why I almost always nose in. I do happily back in when I don't need trunk access.

Seems like the comments that preceded were about parking big, awkward, ungainly vehicles which lack a trunk (Brit. ‘boot’).

33 minutes ago, etherial said:

And of course, I love pull-throughs, which are the best of both worlds: nose in, nose out.

Pull through opportunities are nice. I once executed a pull-through seconds before some poor sap attempted to claim the same space from the opposite direction. 

• Like 4

I have just received my long awaited Fantization order.

A set of Scale 75 metal and alchemy paints, a Tom Mier Elf from Darksward, and Incredible Woman from Reaper.

Fantization Order for My 50th BD.jpg

• Like 8