OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

I acquired my federal tax refund! Which means I can now pay my 2018 property taxes! Hooray! The remainder will be used to either pay most of what's left of my homeowner's insurance or most of what's left of my bill for my bridge. It doesn't really matter which, because I'm on track to pay them both on time, but it will make for a bit of financial relief a little sooner than otherwise.

This was seriously my fastest refund ever. I only e-filed on the 3rd. Usually it takes around 3 weeks, but this was 9 days. So go IRS! You guys and gals whooped some booty on this one! Tell your coworkers I said that, @NebulousMissy

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Unruly said:

I acquired my federal tax refund! Which means I can now pay my 2018 property taxes! Hooray! The remainder will be used to either pay most of what's left of my homeowner's insurance or most of what's left of my bill for my bridge. It doesn't really matter which, because I'm on track to pay them both on time, but it will make for a bit of financial relief a little sooner than otherwise.

This was seriously my fastest refund ever. I only e-filed on the 3rd. Usually it takes around 3 weeks, but this was 9 days. So go IRS! You guys and gals whooped some booty on this one! Tell your coworkers I said that, @NebulousMissy

We sent ours off yesterday. Oddly I think we are getting back more this year from both Fed & state. Thou with the Oregon kicker in place this time, I'm thinking we may get back even more from them at a later date this year, if not, then I need to ask some questions. It use to be if the Tax kicker came up, you'd get a check that year it happened in. Now, they choose to either put it on to the next year's return or possibly a discount on taxes. That I'm not sure. It also was rarely that it came up, it's come up quite a few times in the last few years. Something the OR gov is wanting to get rid, but I doubt it'll ever happen now. Thou, only 1 more year(not counting this year) till my son turns 18 & he is no longer a dependent.

Weekend acquisitions!

Oddly, the only thing I got at LVO was a vinyl decal. The 8 arrows of Chaos to be exact. The vendors at LVO were mostly aimed at table top wargaming which is understandable but Hobby Holder was there. I had a nice chat with the owner. If not for having a beholder shaped dice bag I would have come home with a hand made one (same vendor I got the vinyl decal from) as they were gorgeous! She also had hand made journals with leather covers & clasps. I did talk to the Trenchworx guys (guys who do most of the resin offerings for Reaper). Also got to see TC Combat products first hand (which is always nice). I almost picked up a new Badger airbrush (Patriot) or at least the cleaning kit as it was only 15 at the Con, as Badger/Ken S was there. Thou I'll continue to use my Paasche Millennium for now

I was disappointed in Game Kastle booth. Being they were the official vendor for the paint area I expected more. About the only thing they had was Ammo & AK offerings. They did have other smaller things but nothing like Ammo/AK. I did find the smallest disk magnets I've ever seen thou. These things were about the same size as a miniature's eyes (thou not Sandra Garrity size...^_^).

Upon coming home I did stop at a game store in Meridian, ID & picked up:

D&D Monster Cards Challenges 0 - 5. These are nice but I'm dissapointed in that some things are missing like animals like rat, rat swarm & giant spider. Common encounters. Hoping Wizards/GF9 releases a animal card set someday. That would benefit both the DM & druid players.

Army Painter Matte varnish spray can (AP had a vendor at LVO but kinda hard to come home on a plane with spray cans)

Army Painter primer & matte varnish (these are the only bottles I'm missing from the warpaint line, figured eh get em)

Reaper Bones paint Saddle brown & polished leather (B1G1 Free clearance sale). Game store was clearance-ing both Vallejo & Bones color lines. There wasn't much left mainly Cats-Eye Green & a blue color.

Stop at Hobby Lobby

Surebonder detail mini glue gun

glue gun stand

mini high temp glue sticks

I'm gonna up my craft skills for gaming (thank you DMScotty!!)

• Like 11

@haldiryou should have went with the Patriot:) And maybe a Sotar too::o: My Paasche's (VL, H and VSR90) have all been relegated to Car body paint jobs(H), T-shirt painting (VL, which will soon share duties with as many Badger Anthems as I can get away with haha) and (gasp) Clear coating mini's (VSR90). Everything else mini's related has been handed over to Badger units:)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, haldir said:

D&D Monster Cards Challenges 0 - 5. These are nice but I'm dissapointed in that some things are missing like animals like rat, rat swarm & giant spider. Common encounters. Hoping Wizards/GF9 releases a animal card set someday. That would benefit both the DM & druid players.

The druid player in my D&D game and I discussed this last week. I think they don't have the animals like those because I believe they are listed in an Appendix in the monster manual and so they excluded them. It would be nice if they released a set but if they don't, Arcane Goods has a Wild Shapes deck that would be useful for druids. Haven't gotten one myself but it looks nice.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

@haldiryou should have went with the Patriot:) And maybe a Sotar too::o: My Paasche's (VL, H and VSR90) have all been relegated to Car body paint jobs(H), T-shirt painting (VL, which will soon share duties with as many Badger Anthems as I can get away with haha) and (gasp) Clear coating mini's (VSR90). Everything else mini's related has been handed over to Badger units:)

I already have a Sotar (bought at RCon a few years ago from Ken). I actually like my Paasche. I mean yes Badger seems to be the new hotness in airbrushing but Paasche still does make quality airbrushes as well. It's one of the reason why I haven't swapped over to a Patriot. That & even at the Con prices, I could get the Patriot at a cheaper price elsewhere (it was 65). About the only 'brush I'm wanting to replace right now is my cheapie Harbor Freight 'brush but all it's use for is clearcoating.

@SGHawkins09 I'll have to take look at that one. Since my Monday game had giant spiders in it, & with the store without guest wi-fi anymore. I was hoping to have the card in front of me vs using my phone or laptop for critter stats. One of the  biggest drawbacks about DDB & a Chromebook. No wifi, no connection. My phone plan doesn't offer a hotspot option without upgrading to a way more expensive plan.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, haldir said:

@SGHawkins09 I'll have to take look at that one. Since my Monday game had giant spiders in it, & with the store without guest wi-fi anymore. I was hoping to have the card in front of me vs using my phone or laptop for critter stats. One of the  biggest drawbacks about DDB & a Chromebook. No wifi, no connection. My phone plan doesn't offer a hotspot option without upgrading to a way more expensive plan.

This is eerily similar to what got us started on the topic. He mentioned he wants quick reference for when he DMs but the official cards don’t have the beasts. Plus he plays a druid when our other friend DMs and he wants something that’s easy to reference for that. 

I swear you must be spying on me. :lol: 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, SGHawkins09 said:

This is eerily similar to what got us started on the topic. He mentioned he wants quick reference for when he DMs but the official cards don’t have the beasts. Plus he plays a druid when our other friend DMs and he wants something that’s easy to reference for that. 

I swear you must be spying on me. :lol: 

...slinks back into the shadows........

D&D Beyond's app does have a nice setup for locating monsters & it's set up where a monster's action has it's own tab but having to reference the phone each time does get old.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, haldir said:

I already have a Sotar (bought at RCon a few years ago from Ken). I actually like my Paasche. I mean yes Badger seems to be the new hotness in airbrushing but Paasche still does make quality airbrushes as well. It's one of the reason why I haven't swapped over to a Patriot. That & even at the Con prices, I could get the Patriot at a cheaper price elsewhere (it was 65). About the only 'brush I'm wanting to replace right now is my cheapie Harbor Freight 'brush but all it's use for is clearcoating.

I just got my sotar from the Black Friday sale last year:) Paasche are great brushes, have used my VL for about 20 years off and on and the H for about 10 (yah I did it backwards haha double action first, I actually got my H at a cheap price at Hobby Lobby in Austin TX) and just got a second VSR90 from a guy who NEVER used it (wish I can find my original, that one's like 25 years old haha). The reason I am moving away from Paasche is the handles:( Doing long sessions (especially with the VL) has really started to take a toll on my hand. The pencil like bodies of the Patriot,anthem and sotar are just so much more comfortable for my hand.

• Like 6

I keep contemplating the Paasche Talon myself, partially due to two different reasons... First is local place has one (and the D3000R!), and secondly it's gorgeous and orange >.>;;;;

• Like 6

So, due to the snow yesterday and the parking lots on base being secured due to plowing, I got cut out of work 2 hours early yesterday.  As I had my DnD scheduled and the roads were messy I just hung out at the FLGS for the 3 hours before the game.  This ended up being dangerous for my wallet.

Reaper Catfolk Mage

Reaper Fire Tribe Shaman

Wizkids Goliath Fighters

WizKids Stag

Rogue Stars- sci-fi skirmish rule set by Osprey

Legion of Steel box set- this was in the used game section for $50.  Thebsticker on the box said "non-metal miniature version" and was supposed to jave card board standees.  But it had a foam insert with 22 minis (21 decently painted, one unpainted).  The two sides are basically cyborgs vs space Marines (more Halo, less skulls and grim dark).  Not bad for a 90's game.  And it gives me plenty of figs for a Rogue Stars game.

If I hadn't been wandering around the store, I most likely wouldn't have bought either game.

• Like 15

19 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

The reason I am moving away from Paasche is the handles:( Doing long sessions (especially with the VL) has really started to take a toll on my hand. The pencil like bodies of the Patriot,anthem and sotar are just so much more comfortable for my hand.

That was the primary reason why I went with the Millennium over a VL. They are the same 'brush just the handle. Mil has a slimmer anodized handle with a cut-out for quick flush outs. I started with a (ughh) Aztek & a Badger 150 + I picked it up locally back in '99 or '00 (hence the Millennium name). I noticed they've changed a few things on it, like the nose cone. I also seen there is a trigger upgrade, which I'd like to get cause I do not like the way the plunger is connected to the trigger. A very small bar (allows the bar to move) New trigger is assembled better. One of those things.

• Like 4

I ordered some new dice. These will be my first Q Workshop sets. I got the Pathfinder Mummy's Mask set, the Starfinder Dead Suns set, and the black and red Runic set. Primarily because they were $10 or less, but I do think they look pretty decent too.

I also acquired a shipping notice for the Badger paints I ordered 10 days ago. And a shipping notice for the "free" stuff I get for being a Penny Arcade Club PA supporter. Last time it was a coffee mug, this time it's a water bottle.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I ordered some new dice. These will be my first Q Workshop sets.

One thing you'll notice if your a Chessex user is QW are lighter. They are nice thou, a bit busy but that the way they are designed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, haldir said:

One thing you'll notice if your a Chessex user is QW are lighter. They are nice thou, a bit busy but that the way they are designed.

I'm used to lighter dice. I've been using a few sets of Game Science dice for years, and they feel like they're made of air compared to just about every other dice I've ever touched. I can't currently find them though, and I remember their edges being a bit banged up the last time I used them, so it was time to try something new.

• Like 6

February Reaper order... Ordered!

1x 77279 Narthrax

1x 77514 Iron Golem

1x 72278 Wolverine

I keep wanting to thief hubby's Narthrax, so.....  Yeah, had to get my own before I thiefed his!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1