OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

It was one of my LGS' 29th anniversary party today. So after running Heroclix I hung around for the drawings. I won a couple of RPG books, which will do me almost no good as I don't RPG, but they will be fun to read through.

• Like 8

Placed an order for 11 Bones paints and the free Bones Black Troll. I have resisted long enough.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Arimaythea said:

I ordered Raphael 8404 brushes in size 0, 1, and 2 from Blick and they arrived today!  I'm excited to try them out and see how they compare to the cheap Amazon brushes I've been using until this point.

Prepare to be... flabbergasted...   

There's a world of difference between cheap synthetics and proper Kolinsky sable brushes. 

(But be warned, not all Kolinsky's are the same. They differ in length and width of the 'belly' and other details, so a brush that suits one person may not suit you. I went through Both Rapael and W&N before settling on Rosemary & Co Series 33 )

Do you have a brush soap?

(Regular soap is 'not good' for the hairs)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Prepare to be... flabbergasted...   

There's a world of difference between cheap synthetics and proper Kolinsky sable brushes. 

(But be warned, not all Kolinsky's are the same. They differ in length and width of the 'belly' and other details, so a brush that suits one person may not suit you. I went through Both Rapael and W&N before settling on Rosemary & Co Series 33 )

Do you have a brush soap?

(Regular soap is 'not good' for the hairs)

I have Masters brush soap!  I haven't broken it out yet for my cheap brushes though.

• Like 8

Started to round out my Fat Dragon collection. Actually, I needed these sets to fulfill the requirements to make Cragmaw Castle from Lost Mine of Pandelver in FDG tiles. Plus, I've wanted to get everything FDG makes anyways. :poke:

DRAGONLOCK Ultimate: Brazier Statues (LED tea light) (didn't need this but hey it was cheap)
DRAGONLOCK Ultimate: Dungeon Expansion Set 8
DRAGONLOCK Ultimate: Expansion Set 10 (same at the Brazier pieces)
DRAGONLOCK Ultimate: Hazards & Traps
DRAGONLOCK Ultimate: Keep Expansion

Best of the Forums: Dungeon Ruins (fan (FDG forum) made remixes of existing FDG tiles)

I already have the Starter & Exp 1 thru 7. Now hopefully the party decides to explore Thundertree more vs heading off to Cragmaw. ::D:

Also picked up a digital file:

Creature Harvest Index Vol 3 - Monstrosities (Pretty cool series, the author takes various critters in 5e & breaks them down into consumable goods. example: Chitine/Oil Glands/10gp/ Practical. He also introduces a Skinner's Tool Kit & the skill rolls associated with the trade. The other 2 volumes are Animals & Aberrations.) My Monday Night players appreciate the new rules.

Finally, picked up anther one of Robert Kennedy's Typhoon paint racks!! I'll have 3 when it's all said & done. I'm thinking maybe one more will hold me. I guess I should organize my paints now!! :rock:

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You have cheap brushes to practice on...   

Do that. 

That soap will last you a long time anyway.

I had the surprise last fall to see my soap dry up and significantly shrink into a small rattling puck.

I know I don't paint often, but it did come as a surprise. Well, that and the time I microwaved my soap.

• Like 3
  • Confused 5

15 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I had the surprise last fall to see my soap dry up and significantly shrink into a small rattling puck.

I know I don't paint often, but it did come as a surprise. Well, that and the time I microwaved my soap.

That is what happens if it doesn't get some moisture now and then. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

Wut? :blink:

Because SCIENCETM! (maybe YouTube)

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

Jeez. What is it with old RPG books these days?

I've been gradually filling gaps in my Dungeons and Dragons hardback collections over the years, right? And finally, Dances with Mouselings and I decided, "We're done with trying to remember to carry lists of everything we're looking for, every time we go used bookstore pillaging." And so, we made a special little Amazon Wishlist, with all the books she and I are looking for... but that we don't intend to BUY from Amazon. The whole point of the list is to have it handy on our phones when we're in a used bookstore, see a treasure, and suddenly stop and go "Do I have that already?" Because Amazon wishlists include pictures, and can be edited on your phone, no matter where you are!

And when I began punching in D&D books? Crap in a HAT! They want HOW much for that old Second Edition thing? Jeez, could I RETIRE if I sell off my collection? Ouch!

But I found "Code Of The Harpers" and "Exemplars of Evil" on Saturday for only a few bucks each...

• Like 11

3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Wut? :blink:

I have used the microwave on some shaving soaps to get them to fill a shaving mug, yes I am a dinosaur who still uses a badger shave brush and DE blades....

• Like 6

On 2/15/2019 at 7:53 PM, SGHawkins09 said:

Scored one of my miniature holy grails, Ar-Fienal from Studio McVey. 

80F60E8B-C5F2-46CD-B85D-F86B3FB5ED6F.jpeg.410625259074263f39cb8e57ca287a0f.jpeg

I have her in a box somewhere... I may even paint her someday.  Sadly I liked the other version of her better but it was all sold out by the time I got around to ordering from him.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Just ordered this from El Greco.

image.png.466252c33965968063bb4a48067abb27.png

I placed an order from them earlier this month and noticed it is still sitting there unfulfilled.  Do you know what their normal turn-around time is?  Either way it's about time to contact them and find out what happened to my order.  :unsure:

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Arimaythea said:

I have Masters brush soap!  I haven't broken it out yet for my cheap brushes though.

Try it! It works great on both my cheapo and Kolinsky sable brushes. I dug out an old splayed out brush yesterday and used the Masters soap on it, it reconditioned it back to a perfect point.

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Jeez. What is it with old RPG books these days?

I've been gradually filling gaps in my Dungeons and Dragons hardback collections over the years, right? And finally, Dances with Mouselings and I decided, "We're done with trying to remember to carry lists of everything we're looking for, every time we go used bookstore pillaging." And so, we made a special little Amazon Wishlist, with all the books she and I are looking for... but that we don't intend to BUY from Amazon. The whole point of the list is to have it handy on our phones when we're in a used bookstore, see a treasure, and suddenly stop and go "Do I have that already?" Because Amazon wishlists include pictures, and can be edited on your phone, no matter where you are!

And when I began punching in D&D books? Crap in a HAT! They want HOW much for that old Second Edition thing? Jeez, could I RETIRE if I sell off my collection? Ouch!

But I found "Code Of The Harpers" and "Exemplars of Evil" on Saturday for only a few bucks each...

I actually use an app called " Book Catalogue" (original I know) and I'm able to scan or search my book titles into it and keep it in a database. This has been supremely useful to me whenever I hit up the used book stores, and it's kept me from buying multiples of the same book.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Auberon said:

I have her in a box somewhere... I may even paint her someday.  Sadly I liked the other version of her better but it was all sold out by the time I got around to ordering from him.

I placed an order from them earlier this month and noticed it is still sitting there unfulfilled.  Do you know what their normal turn-around time is?  Either way it's about time to contact them and find out what happened to my order.  :unsure:

If in stock, you get an email within a day or two that they're shipping it.

Perhaps you ordered something that was not in stock at the moment?

I would send them an email.

I have ordered from them before, never a problem and they usually reply to answers pretty quick.

My Mastercrafted resin miniatures didn't arrive though, seller told me he send a second batch which also didn't make it!

So now we're going to try a third one, I  will pay a little more to include track and trace and then see what happens.

Strange, never had this happen twice in a row before.

• Like 2