Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

OneBoot

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Also while we were there partner got a B-Wing. And some of these Citadel Contrast paints. On first use they're... strong inks. Useful if you need a strong ink but otherwise not as impressive as advertised.

Recommendations for an ink that will work like these?  I've tried Scale75, Reaper, Vallejo, Apple Barrel, india ink, Ghost tints, and others and they all have a tendency to evenly coat everything.  I find the contrast to be a combination of an ink and a shade.  Drawing into recesses while still leaving some color at the mid range.  Works well for Fur, hair and cracked surfaces; not much good for anything else

However, Citadel has been known for calling anything they make in paint the salvation to painters everywhere.  This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, especially after the hype for Shades, dry, and texture paints, all of which have limited uses but are not the skill in a bottle that GW always claims they are.  At 40-50% off they make a nice complement to my paint kit for tabletop minis.  I don't know if I would be willing to pay full price for them though.  Hopefully the chatter will die down by Christmas and we can proceed to ignore them as anything besides just another paint.

Sorry if I sound gripey.  It's been a rough week.

• Like 4

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She Who Dances With Mouselings likes zombie novels. Postapocalypse in general, but zombies are a big thing. This will be important later.

Back in 1963, Belgian cartoonist Peyo had hit it pretty big with the Smurfs. That year, he released a new story album titled The Black Smurfs. In it, one Smurf is bitten on the tail by an unusual fly. Within seconds, the Smurf in question goes into spasms, turns black, becomes hostile, and can only say one word... "Gnap!"

The Black Smurf staggers back towards the Smurf Village, where he encounters another Smurf, whom he bites. And THAT Smurf spasms, turns black, and becomes hostile. The two proceed to infect others, and form a horde that threatens the Smurf Village! Eventually, Papa Smurf, the only one who can possibly develop an antidote, is trapped in his barricaded house, under siege by an army of black infected...

Eeeeyeah. You see where this is going. Five years later, George Romero made a movie with a very similar premise, Night Of The Living Dead. But I have always found it hilarious that the SMURFS guy, of all people, had the idea first!

So when I found this at a used bookstore, I felt it needed to be in the Castle Bedlam library. When reprinted, these days, the Smurfs are purple instead of black, to avoid unfortunate implications. It's my understanding that at least one episode of the Saturday morning cartoon used this premise as well, although I've never seen it.

thumbnail_IMG_20190810_192421621.jpg.481a39a328cfddd9f66a6ce0f85542d5.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 10

Picked up two new brushes today, both from the Winsor and Newton Scepter II Gold line...

- 101 #4 round brush, to see if it offers the same bonus moving from a #0 to a #2 brush did for time, and ability to get a more or less even priming job done (and colours being blocked in).  Oh, and if there's something that falls under "nope, too big" in my eyes for brushes.

- 606 6mm/1/4" flat brush, because first and foremost, I don't really have that many flat brushes, and secondly, I wanted to try out that white over black kind of priming thing to see how it goes.  Either that or do some drybrushing with it, haven't decided yet.

IMG_20190810_204711.thumb.jpg.bb6e224f51d16c3a6dad33fb1c76495a.jpg

^Ah boo, it came out blurry.

IMG_20190810_204624.thumb.jpg.a92a21098b3ab43e0681c0b491d5f493.jpg

^6mm flat, #4, #2, then #0 round.  Gawds that #4 is huge by comparison o_O

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Recommendations for an ink that will work like these?  I've tried Scale75, Reaper, Vallejo, Apple Barrel, india ink, Ghost tints, and others and they all have a tendency to evenly coat everything.  I find the contrast to be a combination of an ink and a shade.  Drawing into recesses while still leaving some color at the mid range.  Works well for Fur, hair and cracked surfaces; not much good for anything else

However, Citadel has been known for calling anything they make in paint the salvation to painters everywhere.  This really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, especially after the hype for Shades, dry, and texture paints, all of which have limited uses but are not the skill in a bottle that GW always claims they are.  At 40-50% off they make a nice complement to my paint kit for tabletop minis.  I don't know if I would be willing to pay full price for them though.  Hopefully the chatter will die down by Christmas and we can proceed to ignore them as anything besides just another paint.

Sorry if I sound gripey.  It's been a rough week.

I use an ink I believe is called "Kel's Brown Sauce". The original 5 ounce bottle is older than I've been painting. The ink currently resides in a blank dropper bottle with blue tape and black marker helpfully labeling it "brown ink". Despite this it has little to do with brown ink and doesn't act like a true ink at all. It's a little thin, it has the consistency of skim milk. But it's amazing when used on skin, it works like a wash and a tint and a shade all at once. It has the same qualities of this Citadel Contrast, where it tints the highlights and collects in the recesses, but is much less opaque. It takes 2 to 4 coats to get the same depth of color that this Contrast gives me. But that also means this Contrast provides me with much less subtlety and, in my opinion, much less potential.

I may try to water down this Contrast. It might get me the subtlety I'm used to (and made me overly spoiled).

• Like 6

11 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I use an ink I believe is called "Kel's Brown Sauce". The original 5 ounce bottle is older than I've been painting. The ink currently resides in a blank dropper bottle with blue tape and black marker helpfully labeling it "brown ink". Despite this it has little to do with brown ink and doesn't act like a true ink at all. It's a little thin, it has the consistency of skim milk. But it's amazing when used on skin, it works like a wash and a tint and a shade all at once. It has the same qualities of this Citadel Contrast, where it tints the highlights and collects in the recesses, but is much less opaque. It takes 2 to 4 coats to get the same depth of color that this Contrast gives me. But that also means this Contrast provides me with much less subtlety and, in my opinion, much less potential.

I may try to water down this Contrast. It might get me the subtlety I'm used to (and made me overly spoiled).

Be sure to use Contrast Medium to thin it down, water will destroy its properties. This video is mostly playing around with Contrast and metallics, but it has some very good tips: https://youtu.be/i1zSQdAnqoM

Also, I know why it's sad to only have 5 Return of the Runelords. I inherited nearly all of my friend's Adventure Path collection, and there's only 4 Return of the Runelords in it. We have just finished the Shattered Star and had been so looking forward to having our old characters appear in the final adventure path. I want to complete the series in memory of him, but it kind of hurts the heart whenever I look at the last two books in the other FLGS.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Went to visit my godmother at the hospital and afterwards went to Michaels with my parents.. Snagged two sets of fine Testors brushes, a set of Modge Podge brushes of similar sizes, and a Safari Toobs of Egyptian artifacts, to round out my birthday present almost 2 months after its occurence. ::D:

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Bones Black Stone Lurker while I was there.

Such a simple mini but so full of character. Glad I held off until it went retail (vs using prepainted ones) & picked that one up.

Went to Boise today for my son's B2S shopping. I myself picked up some cargo shorts (to replace the ones that had a major hole next to the right thigh pocket... & one of those stay dri polyester shirts. We ended up going to game store (All about Games) over there & while I was overlooking the minis, I remembered I had a couple of new players in my Saltmarsh game so I needed to pick up minis for them, as I didn't order & tomorrow is Saltmarsh Monday. I picked up the following:

Nolzur's

male elf rogue (the one with the crossbow on his back)

male dwarf cleric

female elf drid (this is the one with the plant summoner/wrangler)

I may hold off & use the new one with the antlers when she comes out but for now, the elf will do. 

I was going to buy 1 or 2 Contrast paints just to try em out but I had no idea which one I really wanted to use so I ended up just snagged a can of Army Painter White primer as I knew I needed that more.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

You mean Thursdays.

11 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

No, Wednesdays; I've only seen DNP given away on the Toolbox stream. That's Wednesdays; iirc. 

What the goblin said.  Toolbox has given DNP away at least twice now, or was it three times now?

• Like 1