OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

HAHAAA!!!! Very excited about this one! Etsy shop “TabletopThings” had a BF sale on their ... well, on very nearly everything. I picked up two of their ships that I’ve had my eye on for a while (don’t tell anyone, but finding these is why I went from OMG REAPER SHIP to “meh, Reaper ship” rather suddenly).

Here they are with a “skeleton crew” (hahaha I crack me up) and a giant catfish for scale:

C39F8341-2BD3-4499-AD9F-4AF4C3F0DE88.jpeg.5edce9e39f8394754a34bcd0c0b65632.jpeg

C8F34F86-62FA-400D-82F9-D8BB00FEACA0.jpeg.47aecf7a4c4e12ceb9fe3d2dff93720b.jpegC8F34F86-62FA-400D-82F9-D8BB00FEACA0.jpeg.47aecf7a4c4e12ceb9fe3d2dff93720b.jpeg

These are two ships TabletopThings offers; the other big ship, which I will get eventually, is a little bit longer and has two more levels; they also have a Viking longship which I’m less interested in.

These two are 16” x 4” playable deck space, the whole thing comes apart and stores flat (took me about 30 seconds to assemble the first time, with no instruction at all), and the decks are tall enough to be playable without disassembly. They smell nice and have some nice laser-etched detailing. Assembled, they’re surprisingly sturdy; I could lift them by one deck and shake with no shifting.

Both ships are available with or without masts, and there’s a sails package as well. I decided to only worry about the masts for one, and I’m glad they’re easily removable if I need an airship.

They might not be as big as the WizKids or Reaper ships, but they’re much less expensive and , I think, considerably more practical for actual game use (I.e., storable, I can fit twice as many on the table, multi-deck simultaneously playable). Plus, they don’t require paint so I can use them in the game tomorrow!

Here’s a shot of both next to the Reaper Stygian Barge:

F430BC2E-5BDA-4E37-A31A-ACDB15EF40DF.jpeg.76008d54e08b069a1bd99c07486fd1a8.jpeg

Not sure why the photos are sideways...they aren’t that way on my device.

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, Sanael said:

HAHAAA!!!! Very excited about this one! Etsy shop “TabletopThings” had a BF sale on their ... well, on very nearly everything. I picked up two of their ships that I’ve had my eye on for a while (don’t tell anyone, but finding these is why I went from OMG REAPER SHIP to “meh, Reaper ship” rather suddenly).

Here they are with a “skeleton crew” (hahaha I crack me up) and a giant catfish for scale:

C39F8341-2BD3-4499-AD9F-4AF4C3F0DE88.jpeg.5edce9e39f8394754a34bcd0c0b65632.jpeg

C8F34F86-62FA-400D-82F9-D8BB00FEACA0.jpeg.47aecf7a4c4e12ceb9fe3d2dff93720b.jpegC8F34F86-62FA-400D-82F9-D8BB00FEACA0.jpeg.47aecf7a4c4e12ceb9fe3d2dff93720b.jpeg

These are two ships TabletopThings offers; the other big ship, which I will get eventually, is a little bit longer and has two more levels; they also have a Viking longship which I’m less interested in.

These two are 16” x 4” playable deck space, the whole thing comes apart and stores flat (took me about 30 seconds to assemble the first time, with no instruction at all), and the decks are tall enough to be playable without disassembly. They smell nice and have some nice laser-etched detailing. Assembled, they’re surprisingly sturdy; I could lift them by one deck and shake with no shifting.

Both ships are available with or without masts, and there’s a sails package as well. I decided to only worry about the masts for one, and I’m glad they’re easily removable if I need an airship.

They might not be as big as the WizKids or Reaper ships, but they’re much less expensive and , I think, considerably more practical for actual game use (I.e., storable, I can fit twice as many on the table, multi-deck simultaneously playable). Plus, they don’t require paint so I can use them in the game tomorrow!

Here’s a shot of both next to the Reaper Stygian Barge:

F430BC2E-5BDA-4E37-A31A-ACDB15EF40DF.jpeg.76008d54e08b069a1bd99c07486fd1a8.jpeg

Not sure why the photos are sideways...they aren’t that way on my device.

Is it an optical glitch or could you expand the centers to make them longer?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Corsair said:

Is it an optical glitch or could you expand the centers to make them longer?

Each deck is a solid piece, so wysiwyg. I know they’re short for “real” ships, but I have a hard time imagining ever needing something larger for one of my games.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Interesting design. I hadn’t seen those before.

I understand their usefulness, but I see them as an accessory to be used with a fully modelled ship rather than a replacement for one.

Besides. I like the pageantry of miniature gaming. I need Reapers ship.^_^

• Like 9

It irks me a little to think that forty years ago, when I first boarded this merry go round, I bought my first dragon. It was a Dragontooth mini, a pound or more of solid lead, and the wings wouldn't stay on for love nor money, but we loved that dragon, and it died a half dozen deaths at least in the time it took me to finish high school. I had to order the thing by mail. There were no other dragons.

Now you can buy the dratted things in six packs at Costco.

thumbnail_IMG_20191207_202505232_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

It irks me a little to think that forty years ago, when I first boarded this merry go round, I bought my first dragon. It was a Dragontooth mini, a pound or more of solid lead, and the wings wouldn't stay on for love nor money, but we loved that dragon, and it died a half dozen deaths at least in the time it took me to finish high school. I had to order the thing by mail. There were no other dragons.

... I NEED THAT.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I feel the same about a lot of things, especially food!  One if the joys of travel was bringing home exotic local foods you couldn't get locally and trinkets that were only available in one place.  These days just about everything is available over the internet and even specialty foods have become reproduced locally.  It takes a lot of joy out of travelling, especially since its now harder than ever for me to do so.

But, to the Dr's point is also makes things leas special.  Why is your first dragon special when you got a dozen for your 6th birthday?  Uniqueness is something that is hard to find anymore.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

... I NEED THAT.

Two wyverns, two pretty good dragons, and two things that sort of look like they were patched together from leftover dragon parts. Fifteen bucks. Costco. Now. Poseable!

2 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I feel the same about a lot of things, especially food!  One if the joys of travel was bringing home exotic local foods you couldn't get locally and trinkets that were only available in one place.  These days just about everything is available over the internet and even specialty foods have become reproduced locally.  It takes a lot of joy out of travelling, especially since its now harder than ever for me to do so.

But, to the Dr's point is also makes things leas special.  Why is your first dragon special when you got a dozen for your 6th birthday?  Uniqueness is something that is hard to find anymore.

That's sort of what I mean. I dunno that I'd want that old Dragontooth dragon, if I found him somewhere in the blister... fact is, he'd probably be priced higher than I'd want to pay... and maybe it's a GOOD thing that anyone who wants a dragon can find one pretty easy now. But trying to find something that worked in 25mm was a &$%@# and a half in 1978.

Final message: They got dragons at Costco, cheap. And I am old.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Today feels like not much painting will be done.  The game 'My Time in Portia' really does bring out "one more turn-itis" ...

Its kind of fun, to say the least. 

• Like 7

On 12/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

Interesting design. I hadn’t seen those before.

I understand their usefulness, but I see them as an accessory to be used with a fully modelled ship rather than a replacement for one.

Besides. I like the pageantry of miniature gaming. I need Reapers ship.^_^

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Our table is already abstracted enough that a full ship isn't a big deal, and honestly the storage consideration is a big factor for me. I am really glad from a health-of-the-hobby standpoint that both the Reaper and the WizKids ships are available!

It's important that one day in the not terribly distant future, a two-pack of fully-sized 28mm scale pirate ship will be available for twenty bucks, on the shelf at Costco right next to @Dr.Bedlam's dragons!

• Like 8

Two packages today...

the first was a strange, folding knife, the Lyra. 

(EveryDay Carry, shaped like a 2" disc that someone cut sections out of, folds out to a 1.2" blade and a 80mm handle. Neat)

Used it to open the second package whih contained Sharysal.

• Like 7