OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

18 minutes ago, Rob Dean said:

Nice!  The only Malifaux figures I have painted have been plastics, and done for speed painting contests, but there’s some unusual stuff there.  As far as retro goes, though, my acquisition for yesterday was another 1930s three figure mold for semi-round World War One figures...

I would advocate picking up some of the old Malifaux metals, they almost paint themselves, they're such excellent quality.

• Like 8

So I mentioned that a vintage mold arrived yesterday; two more came in today’s mail, the third Buck Rogers mold I’ve acquired (sadly, somewhat warped, so it will require extra careful handling) and this interesting aviation-themed mold, with a plane (subscale), a pilot, and a woman in a beret.  I can’t decide without casting it what she is carrying; could either be a notebook or a camera, so she’s tentatively dubbed a reporter...Since I didn’t post a picture, yesterday’s mold is also here, with the 3 WWI guys:

10B7C834-D2A1-4CF6-B2D5-ED66F76EC733.thumb.jpeg.f939ac705fd01b4a1463057dbaa7fc87.jpeg

UPS dropped off two packages, one being Joseph McCullough’s Oathmark fantasy mass battle rules, ...

372A97AF-DDCD-4B9F-A525-515C9DB43069.thumb.jpeg.bd1b7fc3efacfb8001ad2552bd8bc090.jpeg

...and the other being 25 pounds of lead-free pewter ingots (~92% Sn, ~8% Sb, <1% Cu, if you’re curious).  Unfortunately, I need to cast outside and it’s looks like we’re subject to pop-up thunderstorms this afternoon, so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 13

First off, I received the first item earlier this week. CURSED CRYPT Kickstarter. I just went in on the basic get the tiles pledge. Looking at the tiles, I think I need maybe 2 more (3 x 3). Tiles were wrapped in the black paper, they used a magnet (the skull, their logo) on top, nice touch. They included a few stickers & such (the eyeball, aka mimic & Cursed Crypt logo is on one of my miniature cases. Overall I really like the product. I didn't mind the wait for this one & will support future projects.

20200604_104029.jpg

20200604_104241.jpg

Second, received yesterday, Miniature Market order:

20200606_140200.jpg

3rd: Received today Turbo Dork order & Noble Knight orders. Note, yes I made 2 orders of Dragonborn, sigh. Thou with the optional head, this might be a good thing.

20200606_140125.jpg

20200606_140049.jpg

4th, stopped into my FLGS today & picked up a order I made.

15914740704346280687283120610269.jpg

(the dice, I like em, but I kinda wish they were glossy vs matte)

15914741056712386302135019880077.jpg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Got this month's freebie .stl from Westfalia. 

westfalia_june.png.b882dbb6153b5f50e1723d7a77af38e0.png

Is there anyone who still hasn't signed up?    

Me, I didn't know, but I'm gonna remedy that now. Nice halfling, too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Got this month's freebie .stl from Westfalia. 

westfalia_june.png.b882dbb6153b5f50e1723d7a77af38e0.png

Is there anyone who still hasn't signed up?    

Me, I don't see anything I really want there.

• Like 2

Brought myself the Marvel Crisis Protocol Starter Set

I'd been eyeing it up for a while, but since my earlier attempts at painting superhero minis from the Knight Models range didn't really work out, I was wary about picking it up.

But I've had a bit of spare cash lying around, so I thought 'Why not?'.

• Like 9

Elegoo Saturn Acquired.. so I can print a lot of the STLs I keep acquiring all at once, and seemless dragons..

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Beagle said:

I would advocate picking up some of the old Malifaux metals, they almost paint themselves, they're such excellent quality.

It's just a pity about the assembly on some of them - tidgy tiny little contact points (as in no more than 1mm square) on some of the models!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

It's just a pity about the assembly on some of them - tidgy tiny little contact points (as in no more than 1mm square) on some of the models!

That's true, some are fiddly, not the worst I've encountered by a long stretch, but a couple of the skinny undead models are really tricky to assemble

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ratsmitglied said:

my favourite is the Viktoria with swords - split at the wrist and it's a tiny connection point!

I gave up with that mini, which isn't one of the best in the line...so no great loss. At the time of their release the larger metal models were amongst the best on the market in terms of quality and design, that design quality has been surpassed by later models (which are of incredible quality), but I prefer working with metal so much more than plastic.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Elegoo Saturn Acquired.. so I can print a lot of the STLs I keep acquiring all at once, and seemless dragons..

Congrats!

Have fun!

• Like 4

for resin printing, I think I am going to play with my friends resin printer first and see how that goes.  I am not sure I am up for learning resin printing while i am still at about 60% on the filament printing side.  Right now I am trying my first dragon on a filament printer.  we will see how that goes.

• Like 6

Dragons prefer the smoothness only possible with a resin printer. They complain that the banding from the filament printers cause issues with the smooth airflow over the wings and result in poor lift and a danger of losing control in sharp turns.   

• Haha 8