OneBoot

Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

mhm, which is why we only print terrain, since our filament printer cannot do justice on actual detailed minis

also makes me sad to see all these cool kickstarters, then find out they're STL files only. oh well, saves me money from backing

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 7

The irony in collecting miniatures in STL format and not as physical models is you still run into storage problems.  

I just maxed out my 500GB SSD and still have files I need to store.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Clearman said:

The irony in collecting miniatures in STL format and not as physical models is you still run into storage problems.  

External Hardrives...:ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:
15 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

External Hardrives...:ph34r:

External Hard Drives?   That hardly counts as enablement.

I have one word acronym  for @Clearman and that acronym is NAS.

My 500GB SSD is already external; I filled it up in under 6 months.

I also backup to Cloud storage.  I've considered NAS, but Cloud is a bit more economical.

My point is that the problem still exists - just in a different medium.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

So you're not stockpiling files in preparation for when you get a resin printer?   

no, because we're not planning on getting a resin printer. husband is happy with the terrain he can print, and doesn't see the need to buy another printer so we can do miniatures to

and really i'm not too bothered. it sounds like a huge chore maintaining a resin printer, and it'd just be for display painting, which i have little room for anyways, especially with Reaper kickstarters

so no, no plans to get a resin printer, so no reason to stockpile STLs

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

no, because we're not planning on getting a resin printer. husband is happy with the terrain he can print, and doesn't see the need to buy another printer so we can do miniatures to

and really i'm not too bothered. it sounds like a huge chore maintaining a resin printer, and it'd just be for display painting, which i have little room for anyways, especially with Reaper kickstarters

so no, no plans to get a resin printer, so no reason to stockpile STLs

To be honest, I found my Elegoo Mars a plug and play machine with little troubles.

I'm a non tech person and I had no trouble operating it, I even changed the FEP film this weekend with the aid of youtube without a problem.

I chose a resin printer because I thought the filament ones where too much of a chore with clogging nozzles and stuff like that.

Funny how everyone has his own views on such things.

If you have no plans for a resin printer then you could always let someone who has one print something for you if there's something you really really want.

Or in some cases print it on the filament one. Sometimes it works although with less detail.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

To be honest, I found my Elegoo Mars a plug and play machine with little troubles.

I'm a non tech person and I had no trouble operating it, I even changed the FEP film this weekend with the aid of youtube without a problem.

I chose a resin printer because I thought the filament ones where too much of a chore with clogging nozzles and stuff like that.

Funny how everyone has his own views on such things.

If you have no plans for a resin printer then you could always let someone who has one print something for you if there's something you really really want.

Or in some cases print it on the filament one. Sometimes it works although with less detail.

we went with a filament printer becuase he wasn't sure he'd like 3D printer or what to have to maintain one, and now doesn't see the point in buying another printer when we have one that does what he wants. We'd use terrain a whole lot more than a one off display miniature i would paint just for fun, so we agreed it wasn't worth the price tag just so i can have a few more dragons to paint

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i can have a few more dragons to paint

Little miniatures lose detail.  Its perfectly possible to print a dragon on a filament printer...  this is the body of the Arcan dragon from one of the patreons

20200608_102936.thumb.jpg.9a9276d58405fb542b38de94aeaa6398.jpg

All I've done so far is remove the supports.  The print is .15mm on an ender 3

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

we went with a filament printer becuase he wasn't sure he'd like 3D printer or what to have to maintain one, and now doesn't see the point in buying another printer when we have one that does what he wants. We'd use terrain a whole lot more than a one off display miniature i would paint just for fun, so we agreed it wasn't worth the price tag just so i can have a few more dragons to paint

Sounds good to me, everyone has their preferences, I wanted a resin one because I like my minis to be suitable for display painting.

And because I'm basically a non-tech person, so I went for something relatively easy to handle.

I still consider it Scifi tech..to me it's like Star Trek Tech coming true.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Clearman said:

I have a Synology NAS with 3x 4TB HDDs in it, which gives me 8TB of storage. Half of that is movies and TV series. So I still have a bit of space for not just .stls, but also for pictures of the minis I own.(I download them from the manufacturers' websites when I order them, and make certain they have proper filenames. Makes it easier to ID the minis strewn about on my worktable)

The NAS I have have room for 4 HDDs,  so there's room for expansion, but by then I'll also start swapping the old 4TBs out for 8TB or larger drives.

• Like 5

3 Wizkid young dragons (Gold, White, and Blue) and alligator

Alligators did not come with a black base. Unsure if it was supposed to have one

White dragon left wing was damaged from box damage

IMG_20200608_115053.jpg

• Like 12

Went car shopping again for the youngest.  He has a 2k limit so not much out there that he really likes. Unfortunately the place we went to over in Nampa, ID had sold the car. He wanted to go over to Boise, so mom told him to call them vs driving over & he didn't feel like it so car shopping came to a end. He wants to resume today.

I did take the opportunity to go to Hobby Lobby & I actually bought something (well over a year since I did that). I picked up a airbrush tray. It was packaged in cellophane so I thought it coated rubber but its more of a mouse pad with walls. I'm not sure if I like using it or how it'll stand up to chemicals when breaking down the 'brush for cleaning. I also picked up some coarse sanding sticks for resin print clean ups.

Got home & stopped at the flgs as he got in the COVID19 wave of Wizkids. I really wanna pick up the Hydra & behir. I saved those for next time.

20200608_160747.jpg

• Like 10

Seems like its the week for picking up Wizkids dragons....

DSCN9991.thumb.JPG.3039bc324aa64917f9a5ab90e1cf4866.JPG

The order included gold, silver and red dragons, owlbear, raptors, 2 demons and some elementals. Someone got a new box too! Who says that black cats don't photograph well?

DSCN9989.thumb.JPG.5bbcc21cfcf5140e470954464a8c7b6a.JPG

I also got victimised by the Qwertee sale. I'm certainly not going to ignore £4 t-shirts and free shipping :poke:

DSCN9995.thumb.JPG.0e7ae483c63bed600b14082a99ee5863.JPG

• Like 11