Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Mrs Hamster finished her 3D print job a little early.

I have acquired US citizenship!

Acquired:  One new place of employment, 33% pay increase, 50% stress decrease

Posted Images

Got a new pair of winter gloves today. Hoping they work well enough to get this sudden Raynaud's development under control. It'll be nice not to have to wear three pairs of gloves when I go outside. Took them for a test spin, they held up well enough, whereas the three pair I was wearing are a 50/50 chance of developing white fingers. True test will come either tonight when the temps drop or tomorrow morning. Supposedly they are waterproof and windproof, and will stay warm up to temps of minus 40 F. We'll see.

Have to find some gloves to wear inside the house too, and in the grocery store. Just can't seem to keep my hands warm enough since Christmas day.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, malefactus said:

Isn't comforting knowing what you will be doing in your free time for the rest of your life?

And Bones V is still coming, just backed a 3D files Kickstarter, Patreon of EPIC miniatures, will probably add one or two more..

I...ehhh... hrmm... ehhh.

EEP!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
8 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Have to find some gloves to wear inside the house too, and in the grocery store. Just can't seem to keep my hands warm enough since Christmas day.

Get a pair of gloves made for cross-country skiing.

look for 40 or 80gram thinsulate gloves. Wonderful stuff.

• Like 6

Afternoon deliveries.....

20201229_IMG_1458.jpg.3bdb1418d230fd7c4f7dcab6c85f9aae.jpg

So new IPA for the printers, replacement drill bits (I'd ordered smaller magnets from the Canadian site I usually use, and the kits were supposed to come with matching drill bits, but they accidentally sent two of the kits without drill bits) and 2 new size 0 Rafael 8404s.  These are my go to brushes for everything and my first two have lasted since....umm, at least 2017, if not longer.....

• Like 9
On 12/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, ManvsMini said:

Got a new pair of winter gloves today. Hoping they work well enough to get this sudden Raynaud's development under control. It'll be nice not to have to wear three pairs of gloves when I go outside. Took them for a test spin, they held up well enough, whereas the three pair I was wearing are a 50/50 chance of developing white fingers. True test will come either tonight when the temps drop or tomorrow morning. Supposedly they are waterproof and windproof, and will stay warm up to temps of minus 40 F. We'll see.

Gah! I feel your pain.

For several years now I've been suffering from chilblains on my toes. Mostly due to medication. But my toes do not like being cold and suddenly thawing with too much blood pressure. In my case, it's like a bunch of tiny sensitive sores that become bruises that take forever to heal. And of course I keep hitting my toes on everything while they heal! <_<

I have to be careful about what footwear (warm and not tight) I have when I go out and limit how long I'm in the cold. You'd think it was simple, but the same habits that were not a problem for decades suddenly doesn't work anymore.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5
4 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Get a pair of gloves made for cross-country skiing.

look for 40 or 80gram thinsulate gloves. Wonderful stuff.

The ones I just got are 150g thinsulate meant for snowboarding (the design is of fingers inside of a mitten). So far, I'm not overly enthusiastic as to how well they are going to perform. It's been around 30-32 F today, and this evening I got one finger starting to turn white after about 15 minutes outside. I'll try them with the thermasilk glove liners I have to see if that improves their performance. Granted, the gloves are for outdoors, not for inside the house. I'll look into something else for inside.

@Cranky Dog I think I had chilblains a couple years ago. A couple sores on my toes, but none of the doctors I saw could tell me what they were. Once I started taking some muscle relaxers, a lot of problems in my feet went away, and my circulation improved. The frustrating part with my hands is that one month ago, I was out shoveling the first snow in the same temperatures with a pair of wool gloves, no issues. 25 days after that now I can't even sift through old mail and shred it without a finger going white. I'm going to end up needing to see the doctor, which I don't want to do right now.

• Sad 6
2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

The ones I just got are 150g thinsulate meant for snowboarding (the design is of fingers inside of a mitten). So far, I'm not overly enthusiastic as to how well they are going to perform. It's been around 30-32 F today, and this evening I got one finger starting to turn white after about 15 minutes outside. I'll try them with the thermasilk glove liners I have to see if that improves their performance. Granted, the gloves are for outdoors, not for inside the house. I'll look into something else for inside.

Have you looked at heated gloves (although they aren't cheap) or picking up some of the chemical heating things to tuck into your gloves?

My hands run at the other end of the scale (you should have seen me trying to roll peanut butter balls with the wife...every couple I'd have to run my hands under cold water to try to keep from melting them) but my wife has used the chemical packs a bunch of times.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Have you looked at heated gloves (although they aren't cheap) or picking up some of the chemical heating things to tuck into your gloves?

I came across the heated ones during my search for arctic gloves, and it was the price that kept me from getting them. Otherwise they'd have been purchased. Chemical heating packs would be nice, but it's also cost inefficient; I could break them open to go outside, and only end up being out for 5 minutes, and the pack is more or less wasted. Better to invest in a solid pair of gloves at that point. If I were outside regularly for hours, the packs would be a definite necessity.

It's now dawned on me that I've missed taking one of my injections for the past couple weeks, and I'm wondering if that is having an effect on things... I should go do that now.

• Like 6