Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

19 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Who can afford 10 GW paints at once?!  :blink:

Nearest full GW store is currently a 4 hour drive plus 4 weeks of self isolating away (in a different province, so two weeks when I get there and two weeks when I get back).  Wife might not go for "Hey Hon, I'm running out for a some paint.  See you in a month!" ::D:

I know a few people who seem to buy them that way...I'm about 45 minutes from one that's close to a family members home, and stopped there last month for the free monthly mini...missed this months since their open and closed days has been shuffled to almost random when a few of the employees were in quarantine and it took a while for me to get there and they'd run out by the time I could go in. That it was a 40k mini meant that I didn't care as much, fantasy ones interest me more, and it's a free mini

Edited by SotF
odd duplication issue
  • Like 7
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Mrs Hamster finished her 3D print job a little early.

I have acquired US citizenship!

Acquired:  One new place of employment, 33% pay increase, 50% stress decrease

Posted Images

5 hours ago, SotF said:

I know a few people who seem to buy them that way...I'm about 45 minutes from one that's close to a family members home, and stopped there last month for the free monthly mini...missed this months since their open and closed days has been shuffled to almost random when a few of the employees were in quarantine and it took a while for me to get there and they'd run out by the time I could go in. That it was a 40k mini meant that I didn't care as much, fantasy ones interest me more, and it's a free mini

I didn't know they did a free monthly mini either, but then the only one I've been in in the last decade or two is the one in Montreal 2 or 3 years ago during F1....I'm sure the figs I picked up are in a box here somewhere, still partially painted....

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I didn't know they did a free monthly mini either, but then the only one I've been in in the last decade or two is the one in Montreal 2 or 3 years ago during F1....I'm sure the figs I picked up are in a box here somewhere, still partially painted....

It started in November, the first one was a dark elf of some sort, then a chaos space marine was this months.

Their thing is basically to get people into their stores with everything going on.

Free mini for just walking in, buy 9 paints get one free, and a medallion thing if you spend over a certain amount (not sure about that one, it varies by country...and if you get 12 of them, you get a free case). Was only bringing up the paint thing because you were talking about getting contrast paints.

I'd only stopped in at their actual store last month because they'd announced things last month and I'd gotten corralled into taking care of my cousins kids for a few weeks due to quarantine potential things and it wasn't that far from their school anyway.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, SotF said:

It started in November, the first one was a dark elf of some sort, then a chaos space marine was this months.

Their thing is basically to get people into their stores with everything going on.

Free mini for just walking in, buy 9 paints get one free, and a medallion thing if you spend over a certain amount (not sure about that one, it varies by country...and if you get 12 of them, you get a free case). Was only bringing up the paint thing because you were talking about getting contrast paints.

I'd only stopped in at their actual store last month because they'd announced things last month and I'd gotten corralled into taking care of my cousins kids for a few weeks due to quarantine potential things and it wasn't that far from their school anyway.

That's a pretty decent set of promotions. I hope it is helping their stores as I imagine they are struggling like everyone else.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

That's a pretty decent set of promotions. I hope it is helping their stores as I imagine they are struggling like everyone else.

Yeah, unfortunately, from the little I got from the guy running it when I'd tried to get this months mini, they've had a lot of employees end up in quarantine...though none actually ended up with it as of the saturday before Christmas. They'd had their hours for the store be unreliable at best for it.

From what I've heard, you can order things from the webshop for delivery to the store and pay there to get things as well for the medallion if nothing else.

Before stopping by last month, the only GW things that I'd purchased were one of the old, metal vampires and the AoS magazine with the Stormcast Eternal wizard...both at other stores, the second at a heavy discount. Before that it was a few things I'd bought when the last Vampire Counts release came prior to the End Times thing, again at a non-GW store, and I'd visited the GW store shortly after AoS came out to see it played, though the local stores moved on to other games.

• Like 5

Box of tanks is in!

20201230_205946.thumb.jpg.eec95771ac5c1e32853fb8f06a6e50fc.jpg

Trumpeter British Challenger 2 Enhanced Armour, Rye Field Models M1 Assault Breacher, Meng T-90 w/TBS-86 Tank Dozer, Trumpeter T-72B3 Mod.2016, and Meng Leopard C2 Mexas w/Dozer Blade.  Oh yeah, and both types of AK Interactive putty, because I'm curious about their putty (hopefully it smells better than Tamiya's!)  Yup, tanks with dozer blades was apparently one of my thoughts and themes this time, despite not deliberately going after such.  I just picked out tanks that seemed interesting to me.  Yup, rather certain most of the kits will keep my paws very VERY busy for a while...

Vendor threw in five 3mL pipettes, as well as flyers for Vallejo Model Air and Vallejo Model Wash, which was a nice little touch.

• Like 10

I can happily inform you all that Wargames Illustrated October 2020 issue arrived in Australia. Sadly, while I wanted to compare the random free sprues I was unable to do so due to the two newsagents that I visited only having the 3 magazines with the Ashigaru Missile Troops. So that is what I got. Luckily those where the ones I was planing on getting anyways.

9 hours ago, SotF said:

My GW requires you to organise a meeting through facebook to get the mini and you probably need to build it in-store, so I won't really bother with them. Actually that seems really similar to the thing they had going for as longs I remember where if you wanted to learn how to build a mini you could go into a store and just ask them (in which case they would give you a basic sprue, last I remember that was stormcasts when they came out).

• Like 8

Went up to the FLGS yesterday & the shop owner himself was running the store. It's been awhile since I last talked with him. He taken on a couple of other jobs to help the store out due to COVID state rules in place right now. I ended up picked up some of the lastest Wizkids Unpainted figures.

16094338951341336797844060079157.jpg

MTG line:

Obzedat Ghost Council ( I can see myself picking this one again, just for the variety of ghostly figures in it)

Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (great looking celestial figure)

Jorga Warcaller & Jorga Treespeaker (Love the one with the staff. I'm assuming elves maybe??)

Nolzur's

Alhoon & 2 Intellect Devourers (This is an awesome looking figure!! Compared to prepainted prices, yah this is a no brainer purchase!)

Silver Dragon Wyrmling & female halfling friend (this is great looking duo. The dragon has that "Rocky" feel to it & the halfling is a great sculpt as well)

Pathfinder

GOBLINS!!!!!

male rogues

male fighters

female rogues

Love the Pathfinder take on goblins. These will find uses!

I also picked up a order. Chessex  Borealis Icicle/light blue dice. These are nice!

16094339183508876797667450378871.jpg

• Like 11

A miracle occurred....Purolator actually delivered my package....

20201231_IMG_1480.jpg.f88fe602fb23a0eed6d2a5e1b3a83047.jpg

These shipped on Dec 7th from BC.  Reached Moncton, an hour from here, on Dec 14th (so a week to cross the country).  Then nothing, until today when they magically appeared.  So 24 days, within the country....
I'd opened an investigation on it the 21st or 22nd, and the last update I'd had, from yesterday, was that they still hadn't found it.
So can't say I'll be choosing them for anything if I have an option.....

But the box I was expecting today also arrived (via fedex, doing that international thing they do so I don't have to pay duties...woohoo).

20201231_IMG_1477.jpg.9f3d2e87827bf06ed5303a71460a1b8f.jpg

This is the Wave 1 shipment of Infinity Defiance, from the Kickstarter.

All the packaging looks great. Big box on the right is the core game box.  Big box on the left I think is all the minis for the core stuff that were goals from the KS. Scenery Pack is pretty much that.
The Megalodon is the big baddy (I think, it's been a while since the KS) from the core game. It's a pretty massive mini,  And I apparently got all the sleeves needed to handle all the cards, probably for the expansions coming next year too.  Don't remember if that was an add-on or part of my pledge level.  Oh and the card of tokens is some stuff that got missed in the first run of the core but they got printed and packaged quick enough to be added to all the NA pledges.

Think I'll be checking this out over the long weekend......

• Like 10
19 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

I can happily inform you all that Wargames Illustrated October 2020 issue arrived in Australia. Sadly, while I wanted to compare the random free sprues I was unable to do so due to the two newsagents that I visited only having the 3 magazines with the Ashigaru Missile Troops. So that is what I got. Luckily those where the ones I was planing on getting anyways.

My GW requires you to organise a meeting through facebook to get the mini and you probably need to build it in-store, so I won't really bother with them. Actually that seems really similar to the thing they had going for as longs I remember where if you wanted to learn how to build a mini you could go into a store and just ask them (in which case they would give you a basic sprue, last I remember that was stormcasts when they came out).

The mini is preassembled in their little gift box thing. Relatively well cleaned up, but a few things that needed smoothing out, gaps seemed to be rather well handled and the dark elf wasn't a pushfit.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, haldir said:

Went up to the FLGS yesterday & the shop owner himself was running the store. It's been awhile since I last talked with him. He taken on a couple of other jobs to help the store out due to COVID state rules in place right now. I ended up picked up some of the lastest Wizkids Unpainted figures.

16094338951341336797844060079157.jpg

MTG line:

Obzedat Ghost Council ( I can see myself picking this one again, just for the variety of ghostly figures in it)

Aurelia, Exemplar of Justice (great looking celestial figure)

Jorga Warcaller & Jorga Treespeaker (Love the one with the staff. I'm assuming elves maybe??)

Ah nuts. Forgot to preorder those figures from my store. They usually do 20% discount. Yea joraga would be the elves. 

I think I'll wait for some discount on the sphinx.

• Like 6

Ordered in two more tanks.  Something something sales, something something someone on Reddit mentioning/helping out with getting more kits that are different from the ones I already have...

1:35 scale Russian T-72A Mod.1985 (Trumpeter 09548)

1:35 scale Russian T-90A, welded turret (Trumpeter 05562)

And I'm already looking at getting my paws on a few transporters like the German SLT-56 Faun (which I'd probably put a Leopard 2 of some description onto, or go with the VRC-105 Spanish Centauro), and the Russian KZKT-7428 (which I'd put the 2S19-M2 onto...), but those will have to wait a little while due to their sheer cost.  And probably wanting to get food while also paying bills.  Gotta at least be a sort of responsible adult...

• Like 8

Well starting 2021 out like I ended 2020, buying stls off myminifactory. ha ha

(hey, I did say I was done buying for the rest of the year......:poke:)

Small order but I ended up with files from Bite the Bullet, a "ettercap" from Rocketpig Games & a couple of terrain files from Dark Realms. The highlight of the order is this beauty:

il_794xN.2735150275_luxv.jpg 

720X720-printed-dracul.jpg

720X720-alpaca01sa.jpg

• Like 8
33 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

That’s a beautiful castle!

Yah, I'm looking forward to getting it printed up. I need to repair my Ender 6 first. I guess gives me more motivation to do that.

• Like 4