Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

On 1/12/2021 at 3:06 PM, Brother Jim said:

Just waiting on the Gale Force 9 order, but I haven't gotten an email that it was mailed yet, so gonna have to email them.

It was ordered on the 1st of this month.

Just got a response from them, it's supposedly been shipped.

• Like 6
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, Mrs Hamster finished her 3D print job a little early.

I have acquired US citizenship!

Acquired:  One new place of employment, 33% pay increase, 50% stress decrease

Posted Images

5 hours ago, haldir said:

When I "set up" the game room, ie the garage I got a dedicated trash can & bags for it. Probably one of my smartest purchases for hobbies. ha ha.

Yeah, it's somewhat surprising just how useful such a thing can be.

What I miss the most though is being able to listen to music over at my assembly desk, that's probably going to be an acquisition at some point - a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50XBT's will probably suffice.  They won't be my super comfy Sennheiser HD 600's, but on the other hand there'll be nooooo cables to worry about!

• Like 4

Got a package from a patreon related to Star Wars Legion.  They send out acrylic pieces to their backers every so often.

20210109_IMG_1562.jpg.4f164c76f14ebc7dc4be0f85bdff8cec.jpg

The two standie type things are silhouettes, used for tournament play since the last major update to determine line of sight, instead of just using "can they see that model" Used to standardize it and  keep people from always placing their snipers backwards (since there is no facing for standard size models) to keep their gun barrels from sticking out.  I really like the theme of them.

The 6 white corner pieces are used to define your deployment zone (the box came with cardboard ones).  You can't really see the stickers on them, but once removed they look like this:

20210119_IMG_1565.jpg.7910cccf4a8054ec3c2c169e27dfe7f0.jpg

And since I had to run out to pick up some meds, I made a run over the the other lfgs and picked up a few more contrast paints and a couple of others.

20210119_IMG_1563.thumb.jpg.6349999e54d90a8fd217f0246c53c7c1.jpg

And my wife spotted the cat in that pack of familiars and wants me to paint it for her....

• Like 9
On 1/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, Mad Jack said:

So... Last week-ish, me and a guy at work were talking about miniatures since he used to play D&D back in the day, and he mentioned he still had a small box of them somewhere. He said he'd dig it out and let me have it...

I was figuring it'd end up being a box of broken junk.

Turns out, it was a box set...

Hide contents

image.png.f7f748489cdbfbab7ff53975a9bb9f31.png

The outside sleeve is kinda trashed, as well as the foam inside, but the figures are all there and none of them are broken...

Nice!!

That's a great set!

On 1/19/2021 at 4:03 AM, haldir said:

Good luck with any of the skeleton humanoids in that set. They were a major PiTA to assemble. The death cleric thou is the prize of that set.

True, the skeletons are a PITA, but the death cleric and the half orc fighter are both great minis. I've gotten and painted a couple of each of them.

• Like 5

I'm really excited to receive these, Rosemary and Co Red Dot synthetic brushes. They were recommended by someone on the Reaper Twitch streams and apparently they are really good quality, comparable to kolinsky. Not that I've ever used those, but they look and feel really nice. I ordered them directly from the company as all the shops are closed here for the foreseeable future. 

IMG_20210119_210741894.thumb.jpg.dae074eb8d3a3cbc3f2556aaa6842ecc.jpg

Not pictured- the teeny little (delicious) complementary chocolates, they didn't last long enough! :ph34r:

• Like 11

Not to be blunt, but there's a reason why I don't actually buy kolinskys....and it's not financial ::P:

Each to their own, and all that, but they're not for me.

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 6

@Kuroneko I'm looking forward to your review of these brushes.  Currently there are no reviews of the Rounds on the Rosemary site.  I looked at the pricing and they are comparable to individual synthetics I've bought elsewhere (Hobby Lobby and Michaels mostly).

• Like 5
16 minutes ago, Serenity said:

@Kuroneko I'm looking forward to your review of these brushes.  Currently there are no reviews of the Rounds on the Rosemary site.  I looked at the pricing and they are comparable to individual synthetics I've bought elsewhere (Hobby Lobby and Michaels mostly).

No problem, I'd be happy to oblige. I'm thinking of giving them a months hard service before I give my final opinion on them, but I'm loving them so far. The price was really good too, just over £40 for them plus free shipping and they arrived in three days, which is very good considering the current lockdown.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Not to be blunt, but there's a reason why I don't actually buy kolinskys....and it's not financial ::P:

I really like most of the lines by Rosemary and Co.  The only real exception is the eclipse line, not because the brushes are bad so much as they have a very rounded tip and even the finest brush cuts a wide swath on the mini.  I like there synthetics as well as the sable brushes.

Maybe someone knows:  Why we cant just shave the weasel to get brush fibers?  I mean then we could have reasonably kinder harvested natural fibers and we could have discussions about shaved weasels without tripping up the moderators ::D: 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

We all have our reasons for every thing. 

Enjoy your synthetics.  If they're anywhere near the quality of their other lines, then they are good.  

I have a few Short Filbert synthetics from them(Eclipse). Marvellous for basecoating 'large' flat areas.   

The new Red dot series sounds interesting. I think I'll just order up a couple.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I enabled myself while discussing diversity and minis...

Bought this lovely lady ( I bought the 3D file but she's also available as a physical mini as are her friends)

Strata Miniatures.

You think you can take her? 

You think you can reach her before one of those knives get you?

Think again!

image.png.e1d7bf4883d801365682952a82c0ab5f.png

• Like 8

Got another Anhurian Cavalry, the one a friend had ordered to trade with me for the partial one that I had...she's using the horse and lower torso it seems for a conversion project, not sure what all else is happening there.

Ordered some of the rounded cavalry bases thanks to another friend trying to convince me to rebase my current ones and the new one for Oathmark...

• Like 8
On 1/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, Brother Jim said:

I didn't get 2 boxes of aliens, but I did order the following:

Star Trek Ascendancy Expansion: Dice (x9) - Federation....1          USD 10.00

Star Trek: Ascendancy Federation Starbases......................1          USD 12.00

Aliens: Assets and Hazards..................................................1          USD 15.00

Aliens: Alien Warriors............................................................1          USD 25.00

Just got these.

The dice looked white in the pictures, but they're more of a really light gray. The pips and Federation symbol that replaces the 6 are a dark purplish blue. I really like them and will probably get another set. They are about 14mm across.

The Federation Starbases are going to need glued to the bases they come with. They are approximately 1 and 1/2 inches [39mm] tall and the upper saucer is about 1 and 3/16th inches [30mm] in diameter.

I haven't opened the 2 Aliens boxes.

• Like 9

Housemate asked me if I could stay in this morning whilst they went out food shopping because they were expecting an "essential delivery" that would help both of us in Lockdown.  

Yup, seems pretty essential to me :lol:

IMG_20210121_144425101.thumb.jpg.2e3df79479810276364b2741bd9d95c4.jpg

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1