Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

3 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Can't take the credit for that one, it seems to have been his internet nickname since forever.

I've heard that tip before, but I'm just way too nervous to go near any part of it with a naked flame!

I'm trying out the hobby stores own brand plastic glue (since their super glue is pretty good), but I'll give the Tamiya stuff a try if it's not a mucher.

The Testors one I have came with a thin wire you can jam down the nozzle to clear blockages. Usually isn't too much effort.  I've been using Army Painter's Plastic Glue lately (since my FLGS has it and Michaels doesn't seem to have the Testors (at least locally) anymore).  It seems to work fine and the one time it clogged I noticed the nozzle is about the same diameter as the bit I use for pinning, so it was quickly cleared. I've tried the Mr. Cement, but I picked up the SP which cures "really fast", which is too quick for me to get things positioned properly, at least while assembling B1s.  I'd like to try one of their other ones, but haven't taken the time to figure out which version is the one I want....

• Like 6
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Monday, March 22: Steve Irwin has you pinned down in a headlock, what cool facts does he tell the audience about you and your habitat? (reddit user zombiepiemaster)

5 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Can't take the credit for that one, it seems to have been his internet nickname since forever.

I've heard that tip before, but I'm just way too nervous to go near any part of it with a naked flame!

I'm trying out the hobby stores own brand plastic glue (since their super glue is pretty good), but I'll give the Tamiya stuff a try if it's not a mucher.

I've done it before, it's not too bad. Don't apply the flame for too long or it'll get too hot to hold. Occasionally A tiny gout of flame will shoot out  of one of the ends and then it's done.

• Like 7

The starter motor I got on riday is now in the car. And it starts!

(Well, it started the first time I tried. Didn't feel like tempting fate by trying one more time... )   

Getting the old one out wasn't all that difficult, but getting the new one in was a pain in the dwarf's bottom.  

The cables could only be fitted after it was bolted into place, and you have to do that blind. Or jack up the car and do it from the underside...   

So, treating myself to tiger balm for my hands, and cheap candy for the soul... 

(loose weight is about $8/Kg right now... Got to love it when there's a price war starting up... )

I got a 35mm diameter 300mm long 'silver steel' rod in the post today. 

And DHL brought me another package, a GPD MicroPC. 

(miniature 'laptop' with 6" screen)

After I killed off Cortana, and scaled the screen to 200%, it actually became a usable writing tool. 

(Using WordPad.)   

Bit bonues is that it has a genuine serial port!  Something my current $2000 office computer(DELL 72000 2-in-one) doesn't have. In fact, none of the regular DELLs or most other brands have one these days. And I sometimes need to use a 'console port' on weird boxen. 

PuTTY will be installed very soon... 

• Like 6

Got my Monument Hobbies order in today! 600 agitators, 6 Pro Acryl paints(black green, jade, burnt red, bold pyrrol red, faded purple, and grey blue) and some dropper bottle tips that are much nicer than the tips that come on the bottles.

20210322_182751.thumb.jpg.271a70496426cabda00e8c60256d3e92.jpg

• Like 10

More hobbying orders today! 

- Zaku I Sniper resin conversion kit

- more sandpaper as well as 5mm sanding sponges in the grits I use the most (600, 1000, and 2500)

- metal detail up kits for 2x Zaku II v2.0 kits, and one for a Gouf custom (basically provides higher detailed nozzles and power pipes for the Zaku II's and the Gouf - I'm just now realizing I only really needed the one kit but oh well, most of the parts can still be used on the Zaku I) 

- Delpi Decals Shin Matsunaga MG Zaku decals (because black howling wolf looks much more epic than the "tongu hanging out in the wind" standard versions to me) 

- Mr Hobby, uh, uhm... What are they called.  Mr Almighty painting clips.  Plus the small cardboard stand thingies, so I don't have to build some myself

I think that's all of it.  Might have missed something like the splinter camo as well as hex camo stencils, but oh well. 

Edit: Oh yeah, DSPIAE's wet palette with spare sheets were also ordered.  Yeah, I have a Masterson's but I never really seem to get along with it (or remember I have it) 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

Let's see, I have either in hand or on the way.

3 Heroclix figures (I had to find something I could buy with the $5 virtual Visas I've gotten for filling out the Ohio Health Departments Covid surveys. They can't be used locally, they can't be transferred to Paypal and they can't be combined to purchase something more than $5.)

A new phone. Samsung Galaxy A51.

A one year service card for the phone.

A 512GB MicroSD card for the new phone (has the 128GB that used to be in my old phone).

A 1TB MicroSD card for my laptop. Both come with the adapters to use in SD card slots.

A water and shock resistant case for the new phone.

Some D&D minis Thri-kreen (6; two poses of 3 each) and 2 Shaitans from Pathfinder Battles.

• Like 10

In my defense these looked much smaller on my monitor.  Also since childhood, I've had a soft spot for Jawas.

Thomas.thumb.jpg.0fd87aad830e1ce58d52df9d4ecf3a6f.jpg

That said, I should stay the heck off of slickdeals, especially while I can't justify trolling through dollar stores looking for terrain bits.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:03 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

The Testors one I have came with a thin wire you can jam down the nozzle to clear blockages. Usually isn't too much effort.  I've been using Army Painter's Plastic Glue lately (since my FLGS has it and Michaels doesn't seem to have the Testors (at least locally) anymore).  It seems to work fine and the one time it clogged I noticed the nozzle is about the same diameter as the bit I use for pinning, so it was quickly cleared. I've tried the Mr. Cement, but I picked up the SP which cures "really fast", which is too quick for me to get things positioned properly, at least while assembling B1s.  I'd like to try one of their other ones, but haven't taken the time to figure out which version is the one I want....

I got too anxious about losing the wire that came with my glue so I bought some piano wire so I could make my own tools to clear out clogs.  Used bits of Bones sprue as handles.  

• Like 8

Acquired more hobbying related products!

20210326_124254.thumb.jpg.cd4e9c70093664b113b3d672aa721daa.jpg

2x Mr Hobby Mr Almighty Clips (GT90), a four pack of the small Mr Paint Station (GT68), and some waterslide decals for one of my MG Zaku II v2.0 Char's Zaku kits, as I'm going to be going relatively custom on that for colours plus a nice resin conversion kit (that I've yet to order, and will hopefully be doing next payday).

Now I'll be painting the handles instead of my hands when airbrushing small parts!

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 11

More things have arrived!

20210329_214910.thumb.jpg.03feb8b60a4b8b532e1a32e1b4ad92f6.jpg

^Sanding sponges as well as adhesive sandpaper (600 grit, 1000 grit, 2500 grit), DSPIAE's wet palette with refills, some new light bulbs for my painting desk (trying these out, hoping they don't zorch my eyes like the LEDs from Ikea do), and then some pre-cut masking tape for a few patterns.  Oh yeah, there's also some resin stuff in that bubble wrap....

The bulbs are rated somewhat lower for lumens than the Ikea ones (900 vs 1000), but on the flipside, the light is more diffused, so overall I'm hoping they'll do give me what I want (the ability to be at my desk for a lot longer before my eyes give out)

20210329_215416.thumb.jpg.005e362e47ff16dc946797dbb4cef9fd.jpg

^1/100 Johnny Ridden Zaku hands.  Figured why not give them a shot to see how they are compared to the old ones the MG Zaku II V2.0 kits came with.

• Like 7

My wife needed to go to a doctor visit over in Nampa, ID yesterday, so afterwards I stopped into the FLGS over there. I was hoping to find a Nolzur's Cloaker but they were out of stock, I did end up getting the genie.

wzk90162_1.jpg

His other hand is holding a scimitar as well, sorta of a whirling dervish look to him. I did have the Eidolon statue in my hand, but figured I can always order that one here at home. 

I did find out that allot of Wave 1 minis are being discontinued, thus the reason for the next wave being almost identical.....ok then.:huh:

• Like 11

Why I haven't bought any minis this month...

st.thumb.jpg.bae753d75ea35f8f2e29efa703a8586c.jpg

Orion Spaceprobe 130ST.  Wide field 5" newtonian reflector telescope on an equatorial mount.  Of course, the weather tonight is cloudy, then some more clouds, but that's par for new telescope day I'm told.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 14