Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

I haven't acquired much lately, but the one this morning makes up for it (I guess)...Mrs. Strawhat and I have acquired a new domicile.  It's definitely a step up: moving back into a better area of the city, much closer to Pa Strawhat, garage, more square footage, etc.

I was happy with the old one (being as it was long in the family) and it was nearly paid off.  But perhaps it was time to part.  Now it's time to rediscover all the things I've packed (and repacked) away (like Bones 3 and Bones 4...).

• Like 11
  • Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of annoying, my broken toad bust did not come with any way to mount it on its plinth. Not sure what I'm supposed to do, as I've never worked with a bust before and in worried about ruining this thing by trying 

Was hoping they would have included a hole in the bust and a stand or something to put into the plinth...

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Kind of annoying, my broken toad bust did not come with any way to mount it on its plinth. Not sure what I'm supposed to do, as I've never worked with a bust before and in worried about ruining this thing by trying 

Was hoping they would have included a hole in the bust and a stand or something to put into the plinth...

Yeah, you'll need to drill a hole and glue in something to support the bust above the plinth.  A piece of brass rod is usually enough, but of course you'll want to use something thicker if it's really big.

Also, this is the traditional method for busts.  I've only noticed more models coming with a pre-existing hole since sculptors have been moving over to 3D sculpting.

• Like 5

i've never done anything with busts before, guess i'll have to find where to procure a brass rod and find soem way of making a hole in the bust and the plinth without ruining them

i don't really have the tools for this lol, maybe i'll just box it back up

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

i've never done anything with busts before, guess i'll have to find where to procure a brass rod and find soem way of making a hole in the bust and the plinth without ruining them

palm drill with a simple metal drill bit works well for me.  for something like a bust you could even use a brad and pound it into the plinth with a hammer then stick the bust on top.  the hole really needs to only be about a quarter inch deep to work

• Like 5

Let the Age of Oils Begin! 

7  canvases - lots of paint tubes.  plans for at least 2 oil canvasses, and a few miniatures - 

then ill reassess and se if I want to keep doing oil landscapes or return to acrylics 

183270186_10222644244947701_5446494871117390102_n.jpg

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:
4 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

palm drill with a simple metal drill bit works well for me.  for something like a bust you could even use a brad and pound it into the plinth with a hammer then stick the bust on top.  the hole really needs to only be about a quarter inch deep to work

Yep, palm drill/pin vice is what I use as well.

The brass rod can be found at Hobby Lobby or Amazon.  You shouldn't need more that 1/8" or 3/16" diameter.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Sirithiliel said:

For now he is going back into his box, I know I only will have one of this guy and I don't want to ruin him

Local hobby shop should have a metal (K&S I think) stock of rods & such. If your comfortable in pinning, then it's no different drilling into a bust. If not, practice on something that same size & get a feel of the object in your hand.

Acquired, Amazon showed up while I was at game night & delivered my Epax nFEP film!! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

• Like 6

Got some Ral Partha Europe stuff in this week, mostly from their The Dark Eye range: a wingless, scorpion-tailed manticore (just the way I like them, only one of three such models I've been able to find), a lady barbarian in chainmail, a chaos wizard with three eyes and four arms and an ogre, along with an octopus-mutated chaos knight not from The Dark Eye, because I'm a sucker for a weird cthuloid villain that isn't just a cultist or a star-spawn.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, haldir said:

Local hobby shop should have a metal (K&S I think) stock of rods & such. If your comfortable in pinning, then it's no different drilling into a bust. If not, practice on something that same size & get a feel of the object in your hand.

Acquired, Amazon showed up while I was at game night & delivered my Epax nFEP film!! I know what I'll be doing tomorrow!

No hobby shop in town. Just some magic card and comic book stores

• Like 4

We did it. We bought a car.

We'll pick it up tomorrow, but.. it's official, we're now the proud, if still somewhat baffled (not sure about Andi, but I've definitely never owned or could claim a /new/ car before), owners of a Volvo XC60. In black, as that is apparently the official Thornehaus vehicle colour, until we break the streak. 

Pictures of the new acquisition might happen tomorrow. :p

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

you don't have to use a brass rod, either.   

It can be perspex rod, it can be a bit of barbed wire, if you believe that it enhances the bust... Maybe a twig?

If it's a Steampunk bust, a small scale camshaft or crankshaft, or even the piston rod... 

You can grind flat the front edge (since they're usually sloped) and pin that so that there are no visible rods.   

Or show off your Greenstuff skills... 

If you spend a lot of hours painting a bust, why just plunk it down on a dime a dozen base?

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

No hobby shop in town. Just some magic card and comic book stores

KS Metals has a website, it's the 2 words I typed.

Might be odd to just order 1 piece. I think they make rods in pinning material size as well.

• Like 3

Almost forgot, I stopped by my local GW store yesterday to pick up these:

20210506_IMG_1900.jpg.af19adf8d1d0c2864faba7192901749e.jpg

I'd watched a video on doing Mars-ish type terrain an basing using these and since I'm doing my Droids using a Geonosis theme.....

• Like 8