Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

OneBoot

I think this might be the best place to ask this with regard to what I WILL be buying, with a little recommendations from y'all.

I marked my calendar for Blick's annual sale they do in January.  I'll have some holiday money (i hope) to burn abs want some ideas. 

I have brushes covered.  Although, I've been tempted to try the Rafael brushes. 

What's some really cool art supply stuff you wish you had?

I think I'm good on paints and inks. 

I'm looking for things in the airbrush realm. 

Interested in new mediums i can try. 

Any terrain stuff that might be found at an art store.

Organizers that will help keep clutter down. 

Palette stuff.

I'm asking the pros here. What do you suggest? 

Also, since this is a place of admitting our hobby addiction guilt.  I went to a Hobby Town for the first time.  I wasn't impressed until i got to the paints aisle and then then it was as if angels sang from the heavens.  I'm a big Vallejo guy, and there before me were 4 or 5 racks of them in their glory:  panzer, model color, game color, primers, inks, pigments... i almost cried.  The only places in town here that carries some of the line is one game store that really isn't into caring about vallejo and instead goes deeeeep into GW, and the other is Hobby Lobby.  I ended up snagging some new greys, browns, red, greens, sanding sticks, and instant bond for super glue.  I was impressed with their selection in paint and happy to find who my source will be. 

Carry on, hobbiers.  Hobbiests?  Addicts...

• Like 2

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I treated myself the previous weekend with some early gifts from @Morihalda's 3d-printing shop on Etsy (at least I think it's Mori's, RumbeardTradingCo). They haven't arrived yet, and aren't scheduled to do so until possibly after Christmas, but I am excited as they're my first 3d-printed anythings... more excited about them than I am for Christmas, honestly.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I treated myself the previous weekend with some early gifts from @Morihalda's 3d-printing shop on Etsy (at least I think it's Mori's, RumbeardTradingCo). They haven't arrived yet, and aren't scheduled to do so until possibly after Christmas, but I am excited as they're my first 3d-printed anythings... more excited about them than I am for Christmas, honestly.

Yup, that her & her husband's business venture (very popular booth over ReaperCon Weekend.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, haldir said:

Yup, that her & her husband's business venture (very popular booth over ReaperCon Weekend.

Glad to support a fellow forumite. They have quite a good selection, I can see why the booth would be busy... and judging by the time window to fill my order, I'm hoping they had a good bit of business during the Black Friday weekend run.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

I did not know @Morihalda had such a shop! Best of luck to you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Reaper got some of my X-Mas money!

02653 Slipshadow, Thief - 4.99 x 14.99

03402 Slithe Champion - 9.99 x 19.99

04053 ReaperCon 2021 Shipwreck Sophie - 16.99 x 116.99

09806 MSP Core Color Triad: Seasons Greetings - 10.99 x 110.99

14657 Narin, Dwarf Halberdier - 7.99 x 17.99

30007 Damras Deveril, Wizard - 4.99 x 14.99

30045 Nub, Dwarf Sausage Maker - 4.99 x 14.99

30012 Enrieth, Female Harefolk Rogue x 1FREE

01225 Reaper Christmas Sampler x 1FREE

01589 Father Christmas x 1FREE

44094 Jade Fire Spearman x 1FREE

• Like 7

On 12/5/2021 at 12:09 PM, R2ED said:

Interested in new mediums

Personally I like Liquitex blended fiber medium for making snow, ice and water foam. It makes really nice ice (Dark base. A thick layer of fiber paste, which may be tinted blue. Smooth with wet palette knife. Do some light diluted washes of colour and a dry brush of white if you want a more frosted appearance. Mix some titanium white and fiber paste, apply for snow). It is also a good additive to ground texture (personally it looks like small roots or sticks in ground, making it look more realistic)

I enjoy Liquitex Stucco medium, I just find it the perfect texture for sandy ground. 

Edited by DragonWyrm
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just got one small package today...749169946_IMG_20211207_183154_7(Medium).thumb.jpg.3f327d0d7bf2f6a734078d7fc47519a5.jpg

I've been waiting for this one since august...   

But since most of the containerships are moored off the coast near US harbors, and the rest are stuck in the Suez canal...   

I should probably be happy that it arrived at all...    

What it contains?  

725591077_IMG_20211207_183545_6(Medium).thumb.jpg.7f217aba36e269e233bc48fbe0e4629e.jpg

That's a Sieg SC2-350 mini lathe. 

55Kg worth of Chinesium all in one easy to open box. 

The 'SC' indicates it's their 'Super Sieg' model with a 500W brushless motor instead of a regular 500W DC motor. 

(More torque for the same amount of power) 

I haven't fully unpacked it, yet, because I want to build a stand for it first. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2021 at 3:33 PM, R2ED said:

@DragonWyrmwow! I had never heard of that stuff before. Just watched a video on it and it looks great to work with.  Does it get much shrinkage as it's drying?  How do you use it for ice?  I get the snow part, but unsure of ice.

Great recommendation.  Adding to my list!

I did a tutorial on how to use it for an ice base. (https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/97600-ice-bases-using-liquitex-blended-fibers-medium/)
It does shrink, but can generally keep peaks. Sorry for the late reply, but it took a while to make a tutorial (mostly due to longish drying time).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1