Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

OneBoot

Apparently I haven't learnt my lesson when it comes to the "Hit and Miss"-ness of Malifauxs special releases, ordered this years Gencon sets.

Set 1 and Set 2 (I also got a free fire-eating lady!), if I like them there's a third set to grab come Black Friday time.

• Like 8

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Bones 5.5 stuff arrived today! I did the parts inventory and dry fitting of the larger sets.

• Power Up: Rocky Brush Holder Option x1
  • Power Up: Disapproving Hand Spell Effect x1
  • Option: Mouslings Fun-Size Scale x1
  • Option: Encounter - The Bridge Troll's Toll x1

599152948_Trollbridge.thumb.jpg.9b0ec07c229736f111ef15fa0ce7c744.jpg

From the original art, I hadn't realized there was a hatchling in the nest with the eggs.

• Option: Encounter - The Spiders of Emrith Kul x1

123161434_SpidersofEmrithKul.thumb.jpg.59c485b8a658055033657ba13d88588a.jpg

Probably my favorite of my new encounter sets for its effective simplicity. I really appreciate the different spider designs.

• Option: Encounter at Gallowgard x1

Gallowgard.thumb.jpg.5504da8f529b2420fe3210268c8e48c9.jpg

The dry fitting worked, but it'll need a hot bath. The one complaint is the skeletal horse. It's made of the extra flimsy Bones material, and it's made to stand on it's rear legs. That ain't happening without extra support.

• Option: Encounter at Mandupar Pass x1

173654966_ManduparPass.thumb.jpg.9067f6694763ec7ba6bc675e7c20bb71.jpg

Big and intimidating, even without paint.

• Like 14

Barbaric Splendor is closing/restructuring and had a sale to clear out old stock so I took advantage. Some of the nicer models were already sold out but I still managed to snag a few nice ones.

(it really needed more foe minis for the barbarian heroes to battle, when one is a Forever DM, one only needs so many barbarian heroes)

image.thumb.png.653d4eeba8bea046d781ee8adb3a7759.png

Second topless mini I have (first being one of Reaper's devils) so I guess I need to get the greenstuff before I ever even consider painting her.
Also one of my first resin pieces, that big winged creature... feels sturdy yet brittle at the same time.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Corsair said:

Found this little switcher in storage yesterday. It started right up and runs great. Probably 50 years old.

image.thumb.png.5207e3148641d86b83cf8e0d71728a03.png

Nice!

Gotta love it when Dad's and or Grandad's stuff still works!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, knarthex said:

Nice!

Gotta love it when Dad's and or Grandad's stuff still works!

Sadly, it's mine! Yup, I'm an official grumpy of fart!

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

As a Grandad, I am always delighted to find my stuff still works/

I am with you!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

My latest order from our hosts....

DSC03061.thumb.JPG.53046162de12028d5b350531288bbf40.JPG

There were also 4 assorted blisters of bases...

DSC03062.thumb.JPG.34f26353df9aeb7eccef6e23a896ea4a.JPG

Since I did the Duergar sets, I have a color scheme already worked out, and the enlarged guy is cool...

Just need to figure out how to modify the hammer head on the normal sized guy to match the big one...

DSC03063.thumb.JPG.0e2f8ebe917a1c949757d966e566d446.JPG

The mousling is for the quarterly comp...

I might get to it, never having painted a mousling....

(Snakefood you know....:devil:)

And I hope I can replicate the paint job I did for a Secret Sophie with the Peryton...

Was one of my best works on a critter, IMHO

DSC03064.thumb.JPG.3a8279c62f611126360e4e918b4831c6.JPG

These were the free figs...

I am likely to test out the archer, as it is bones use, and I haven't done anything with that yet....

Thanks for looking!

• Like 10

The Cobalt Keep "Painting Hilt Pro" has a magnet to hold a magnetized base, so I picked up a cheap set of magnets on Amazon to see what I could do with it. (ObPlug: Cobalt Keep has a Dual Palette KS right now!) I stuck a magnet on my old craft paint pots, and magnets underneath the bases of miniatures I'm painting. The idea is that I can swap a miniature to be painted from the holding rack (kept after its toaster over was long gone) to the cheap holder for priming, basecoating, and washes, then to the painting hilt for details. You can also see the pots with magnets magnetized to the side of my desk. 🙂 The hilt has a light attachment I find really useful. I'm seeing how far I can get with magnets and superglue, since I'm sick of reusing putty that gets less sticky and my miniature falling off in the middle of painting. I did try putting the magnetized miniatures on the magnetized pots, but the magnets kept repelling and knocking down stuff. 😛

I dunno if I'd recommend this for anyone who doesn't use magnetized bases (eg. for their GW armies).

Oh, and you can use the toaster oven rack to temporarily hold eye droppers on their side! And, yes, that's a taco holder I'm using for some brushes. 😛

DSC05047.JPG

EDIT: Impromptu miniature paint holder. You hold the knife, not the miniature. Rotate the magnet with your thumb and finger.  😄 Knife also pries off miniatures superglued to magnets as well. Blade will hold two miniatures if you're into that sort of thing.

DSC05049.thumb.JPG.40b56cfd2af4ea8487dda0fbff7c9173.JPG

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 9

16 hours ago, knarthex said:

My latest order from our hosts....

DSC03061.thumb.JPG.53046162de12028d5b350531288bbf40.JPG

There were also 4 assorted blisters of bases...

DSC03062.thumb.JPG.34f26353df9aeb7eccef6e23a896ea4a.JPG

Since I did the Duergar sets, I have a color scheme already worked out, and the enlarged guy is cool...

Just need to figure out how to modify the hammer head on the normal sized guy to match the big one...

DSC03063.thumb.JPG.0e2f8ebe917a1c949757d966e566d446.JPG

The mousling is for the quarterly comp...

I might get to it, never having painted a mousling....

(Snakefood you know....:devil:)

And I hope I can replicate the paint job I did for a Secret Sophie with the Peryton...

Was one of my best works on a critter, IMHO

DSC03064.thumb.JPG.3a8279c62f611126360e4e918b4831c6.JPG

These were the free figs...

I am likely to test out the archer, as it is bones use, and I haven't done anything with that yet....

Thanks for looking!

No need to modify:

https://www.reapermini.com/search/dark dwarf/latest/03899

All the dark dwarf that are Bones are in metal (besides the enlarged one).

I was hoping to pick up some at RCon this year, but alas no Boneyard shopping.....:sadface:

• Like 5

Isn't it weird how sometimes what you set out to buy isn't what you end up buying?

I was going to get some Warmahordes stuff (I've seen rumours that a lot of their back catalogue is going to be phased out), but had no luck actually finding what I wanted for sale, even on Ebay.

But while on Ebay I saw this rather snazzy set of big, ugly dudes, and so I ended up ordering a Necromunda Slaver Entourage instead. 

• Like 8

Stickers!!

Order from Teepublic arrived yesterday.  Now, whee so I put these?

(Note, the covered sticker is a political but funny one. If you wanna see it, search he, lost, cult)

16600621490719034006758205265802.jpg

• Like 7

Played in my first official Bolt Action tournament on Saturday.  we had 8 players, which was nice, and we each had 3 games.  My first game was a draw, with me ahead 3-2 and pretty much every roll on the last turn could have changed the results.  The last action of the game I hit a unit of his with a flamethrower, and put 6 pins on him and forcing a moral roll. With his officer handing he was a -5 on his morale check , so needed to roll a 4 or less on 2d6 or I'd get the win (you needed to kill 2 more units to get a win).  He, of course, rolled a 3 and 1.
That was my best game.  The second game I could not make a morale roll of any sort. So many 10s and 11s rolled.  And the final game I couldn't roll ANYTHING.  But I had fun.

And with the guys from Warlord Games, everyone gets a prize.
20220809_IMG_0107.JPG.e2542aa8089379151dee5b87f5d4f4b2.JPG

I also got a Warlord Games tape measure and a silver activation die, both of which are in my bag somewhere....),

• Like 8