Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

OneBoot

I was young & needed the money.....😄

Acquired this the other day. Glad to have it, but I will never order from GameNerdz again. Prices are decent, website is modern & nice. Staff seems to be ok, but damn it took over 16 days to get to me. They are out of Texas.

Had I not look to see if maybe this was out of stock when I  ordered, I'm sure it would still be there. Something about Holding till want the item is the default shipping option....wtfluff.  You then pay shipping to release the item (more time involved).

Anyways, glad to have it as it appears to be Out of Print now & I needed this for when my Weds guys get into the epic trilogy.

Also tonight at the FLGS, picked up a couple of dice orders, both Chessex. First one is one of the newest Lab Dice. It's a clear blood red with gold #s. Second set is a standard set, Gemini Black-Purple w/Gold

16995077673665583317356200214733.jpg

CHX30058-W7.jpeg

chx26440.jpg

• Like 10

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Michaels currently has a pretty good deal on paints and brushes.  They are discounted, and the store also has a coupon for an additional discount on all items in your cart.  Not sure I'll go for it, but I did get something on an earlier order.

New brushes.  Silver handled Artist's Loft Tribeca, synthetic, dagger shape, 1/4", aluminum ferrule.  Blue handled Princeton Select, synthetic, pointed filbert, size 2, nickel-plated brass ferrule.  Both are artist brushes and make fine lines and handle pretty well making shapes when used on paper.  I doubt I'll use them on standard 28mm minis, though the Tribeca would probably be good on larger models.

The Princeton has a very fine point (just a few hairs wide which I've considered trimming) and has a minor issue with the point not coming together, but when wet it usually isn't a problem.  I heated it with a blow dryer on low and formed the point with brush soap overnight.  These things helped straighten the point which was slightly wavy.  I would have returned or exchanged it if it hadn't improved.  Also, for reasons I don't understand, I basically got this one for free.

636881494_Brushes2023-11-04.jpg.ff2bc7957de00f6591dc9d25f57a8620.jpg

Also a package of Testor's micro sponges.  Not sure what I'll do with these yet, but figured they might come in handy at some point.

Store comment: Be careful ordering online for store pickup using a coupon on an item that is low stock (one or two left).  I tried that with this order, and the item was out of stock, and the coupon was ignored for the other items in the same order (they were using a lesser coupon good on all reg. price items).

• Like 7

Spent most of today hanging out at the FLGS, which was very nice.

20231111_IMG_2217.JPG.bed4e4dbf081e1b3fc9cff4b5a9545c2.JPG

I'm starting to build my US Airborne army for Bolt Action, so I picked up the support group to get the bazooka team primarily, although the rest will come in handy too.  I also picked up the USMC bazooka, sniper and flamethrower team to fill in if I need any of those until I can see what other Airborne special weapon teams are available and order them in.
I picked up the AP Air army green triad, which I'm planning to use on some of the US troopers, although I'm not sure if the Airborne will get it as It looks like it depends if I paint them with the M1932 uniforms (mostly beiges from a quick google search) or the M1943 uniforms which are more olive greens.  We'll see, but either way, new paint!!

I also picked up sleeves from a new company to try with my SW Legion cars as I was almost out of my current ones.

And the main reason I went in:

20231111_IMG_2218.JPG.b4bff7ca80751e57bff90f6d13ce5918.JPG

I had to pick up the rest of my Marvel Zombies! Kickstarter, which I backed through the store.

That's a LOT more minis (considering I haven't even started on the base game I got a year ago.....).

Time to go reorganize some shelves in the closet.  Two big sets of boxes in a couple of days after not getting any for ages....I've got some rearranging to do!

• Like 8

Thanks to the parental visit, I acquired a few things... 

• Gamblin Napthol Red and Phtalo Emerald
  • Fluid 100 (100% cotton) hot press 9x12" block, Strathmore watercolour postcards
  • a palette knife so I don't have to wear out a brush (and waste paint) for mixing on my glass palette20231114_155105.thumb.jpg.fc7db147c983a62c006c83d8a3ef4938.jpg
  • Like 7

In an unusual occurrence for me, I have another acquisition!

This time I'm getting semi-caught up on HeroQuest: Rise of the Dread Moon!  Avalon Hill's first real attempt at a wholly new expansion.  It contains a version of the (rather botched) Commander of the Guardian Knights under a different name, but otherwise the same.  Elven-styled furniture.  New beasties.  New floor tiles.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new furniture (which is only slightly different than the original furniture).  I didn't really enjoy painting all of it the first time, and now I've got more.

I'm not sure if I'll go after Prophecy of Telor or Spirit Queen's Torment.  I've already got the Mythic Expansion, and there's not a whole lot to draw me in.  Sure there's a extra alternate gargoyle to use as the Warlock's demon form, and the minis will be in translucent plastic, more dice, etc.  I'll have to ponder those releases.

• Like 7

Well, it appears I'm going to my first live hockey in March next year!!

Glass Palace night - Portland Winterhawks vs Victoria Royals (March 2)

Memorial Coliseum has heavy theater curtains surrounding the upper windows & are covered during games. They'll open them up fully for the game & have a earlier start time to let the sunshine into the arena. I figured this was a good game to go to + gives me something to look forward to as far a waiting for vacation time. Here's the seats I picked out, lower bowl, but not near the glass as I wanted to be up, but not in the upper bowl area.

image?sectionNames=4&placeSRS=4,M,6&w=62

After a weekend in Portland, we'll hit the coast for the most of the week & a couple nights in Bend on our way back home. Looking forward to the trip next year!!

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Neatpete said:

My neck of the woods! Enjoy Bend, and watch your back in Portland 😒

The hotel I picked out is pretty much across the street from the Arena, so quick walk to & from the hotel. I think the last time we went to Portland was---damn I can't really remember, 2011 maybe? I know the kids were with us as we went to a Lego Tour thing at the convention center. 

• Like 8

My favorite time of the year to shop at the dollar store is between Halloween and Christmas. So many goodies for cheap terrain. Recently I purchased a little model cabin from Dollarama under the MonToy brand. It cost me maybe $4. I put it together tonight, and it looks like it's going to be almost the perfect size for 28mm wargaming. Huzzah! It's rectangular, so I'm going to buy two more and make a small square one and a big square one. I might put cereal box shingles on the roof and pick a wood stain from the hardware to spruce them up, but they will be perfect for Silver Bayonet Canada. 

I also bought a huge haul of Lemax trees from Michaels, as they had a BOGO on them. They have a bit of snow painted on them, but I think we can make them work. 

• Like 9