Department of Acquisitions and Enablement, the Second

OneBoot

We acquired (pending financing) a new to us car last night...  Out 10 year old car was starting to show those signs that the next problem was going to cost a bomb to fix and my wife found a like replacement and by the time I got to the dealership she had already test-driven it and was all smiles... So, we replaced our 2013 Mazda CX9 with a 2021 Mazda CX9... 😒  Of course, we only just finished paying off the other car.  So much for better cash flow. 💸

• Like 11

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/20/2023 at 10:31 PM, Great Khan Artist said:

My favorite time of the year to shop at the dollar store is between Halloween and Christmas. So many goodies for cheap terrain. Recently I purchased a little model cabin from Dollarama under the MonToy brand. It cost me maybe $4. I put it together tonight, and it looks like it's going to be almost the perfect size for 28mm wargaming. Huzzah! It's rectangular, so I'm going to buy two more and make a small square one and a big square one. I might put cereal box shingles on the roof and pick a wood stain from the hardware to spruce them up, but they will be perfect for Silver Bayonet Canada. 

I also bought a huge haul of Lemax trees from Michaels, as they had a BOGO on them. They have a bit of snow painted on them, but I think we can make them work. 

This sounds fantastic.  It makes me want to go shopping and see what I can find.

• Like 5

How did Black Friday go?

I'm curious, since I bought less junk deals than last year. Either that, or I already spent my money throughout the year at Miniature Market. 😛

Pretty much only Amazon this time:

* Estate planning book

* Jammies and slippers

* MtG Lord of the Rings : $13

* Dice tray : $7

* Funko Pop 4-figure sets: $10 each

* Funko Pop mini-figure card game : $5 each

I have a few hundred dollars of stuff at MM on hold for a few years (no idea how much of the stock they'll misplace) and Frosthaven at GameNerdz (which I read in an earlier Acquisitions post wasn't recommended 😛

We save up stuff we bought during December and wait until Xmas to open it, one package at a time. Or at least *I* do, while the rest of the family opens their stuff as soon as it arrives and I have to find useless junk to open while I open my 30-lb boxes from KS and the OLGS. Mom gets to open a package of 3rd party printer ink, because she prints 24/7. Dad gets a $260 mini-desktop so I don't have to fix his laptop every other week. Should receive a Boglanders miniature KS package this month.

And how was your Thanksgiving? 🦃

Turkey Day: 3 people. Turkey breast, keto stuffing with sausage and mushrooms, cranberry sauce with orange peel and artificial sweetener. Tented the turkey kept it from being dry, and the cranberry sauce worked well with the orange peel. Too much food for dessert, and two individual servings of leftovers.

Black Friday: Dessert: Keto brownies, low carb ice cream, sugarfree vanilla pudding, sugarfree caramel syrup, oreo cookies. Well, four out of five ain't bad, and I guess I won't miss the whipped cream with artificial sweeteners. 

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 7

Order I placed with PlazaJapan last month arrived yesterday!

17009278644833507816823649927775.jpg

Paints clips, large & small. Also the first pack is a strip of metal & there is a double sided tape (included) that goes on the strip, so you can hold small parts & such. Looking forward to using these for hobbies. Tamiya tapes as they are cheap over there like a buck, 2 bucks a piece. Brush/tool holder & finally Inifini sanding sticks, Grit 220. Love these, big & really do their job with a few swipes (cheap over there too).

The squirrel was part of the newspaper "stuffing" in the box. It must be a sign!!

17009279311938033213062718957160.jpg

The main reason for the order was, I finally caved in & pick this up when it was released on PlazaJapan. Looking forward to building this one!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Michael's has a good sale on beads (50% off) and painting supplies (30% or buy 3 get 2 free). Going to use the charms for terrain decoration. Swung by Goodwill (ship decor) and Game Kastle (miniatures and free game). Just noticed I have a pirate theme going. 

20231125_165023.thumb.jpg.9796a0e36229cbdada3c3bf3dd6fa8f3.jpg

• Like 11

On 11/24/2023 at 11:23 AM, aku-chan said:

Since I was already up I managed to catch the Kingdom Death Black Friday sale as it launched, got myself a Sun Lantern Aya, Screaming Sun Lucy, Grimgory (I forgot to save a link and he's already gone from the store), Oblivion Mosquito Armour and a Death Chicken

Ended up adding pre-orders for the Pathfinders of Death set (I saw a rumour that all the crossover stuff wouldn't go on general release) and the Heliocenterism pack (I really like the Samurai mini that comes with it).

I think that's enough for this Black Friday.

• Like 7

I joined in on the silly turkey spending frenzy and picked up a small variety of filament for my printers as well as a couple board games that were on sale. 

Not incentivized by the "spend spend spend Friday", we also picked up a new-to us car. 

• Like 7

I didn't buy as much Black Friday stuff this year as last year. I did my yearly Croc Games order, as I really needed some bitz to fix some secondhand stuff I bought, and added a few new units to the order. I will have a 1000 pt force of Typhon with Nekharu allies after my order comes. Eventually I'd like to add the Scorpion King and his retinue from Dragon Bait minis at some point. 

The reason why: I bought the big Silver Bayonet: Canada bundle. I also bought some monsters and other units to go with them. I will make a GKA does New World page when I start them. They arrived today from the UK, along with a 25$ customs bill. Ouch. I didn't know Canadians have to pay customs on stuff from the Commonwealth. I'm really stoked to start them. I'm going to do the wolves first, since I can use them right away in SB and Tribal.   

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

They arrived today from the UK, along with a 25$ customs bill. Ouch. I didn't know Canadians have to pay customs on stuff from the Commonwealth. 

It has been very hit or miss for me, but they seem to have started enforcing it more the last couple of years. Never a fun surprise.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Some of my packages have arrived. I got some Luis Royo prints and a 2024 wall calendar, but I can't show those off for... Obvious reasons. :ph34r:

I also got my copy of Night of the Creeps, which will be a fun watch in a few hours, and I got a copy of Pulp! because it was cheap during some online sales.

Edited by CaptainPete
Conjugation is hard, kids
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, CaptainPete said:

What are folks' thoughts about the "aquatic mystery box"? I ordered one because I had some extra funds.

I'm not one for mystery random boxes, but the previous blind box had a bunch of figures for undead fans. This one will probably be the same for the current Bones Black offerings of seafood errr life minis out there now.

• Like 3