Sign in to follow this  
Glamberry

Bones 3 savage avatars gorilla

Hi guys! 

I'm currently working on the second savage avatar and he is near completion. But somehow I got a little stuck. I have no clue what I can do to his face/eyes. I searched for gorilla pictures as reference and they hardly have any white in their eyes (more like black and brown). I used that scheme but...his eyes are hardly visible. I'd welcome any suggestions. Hope you can see what I mean from the pics. I will try to get a better one tonight after work. 

IMG_20170802_233133998.jpg

IMG_20170802_233059891.jpg

• Like 13

Good work so far!

So this is a tricky one because not only are gorillas obviously very dark in colour, this guy is also wearing a T-Rex as a hat that puts his entire face in shadow so you really don't want to go overboard on the highlights under there. Painters better than I would probably go for a secondary light source pointed up at his face to illuminate his features. A little easier than that would be to direct a light source coming from the top right to illuminate that side of his face more, since I think that side of his face peeks out from under the hat a little more. All of that can be a bit complicated and may be more than what you're looking to do and that's totally understandable.

What I would suggest in that case is to pop your highlights on the rest of the body even higher (all the way up to white or an off-white) on the highest points and that will allow you to do your highlighting a little more exaggerated on the face and as long as you don't go as high on the face as you did on the body, it should still read as being in shadow.

Another thing I would suggest would be to direct his eyes to the right, since his face is turned that way anyway. That's going to give you a plausible reason to put more white (I would use a light cream colour for the "whites") in the eyes to make them pop a little more.

177391_54_news_hub_154928_328x250.jpg.6073d362f3d371ebb65dd3260b57f640.jpg

For the colour of the irises, you want to use a lighter brown. It'll still appear as brown eyes without just reading as more darkness upon darkness. For how light, refer to Derek Schubert's eye tutorial here:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

Good work so far!

So this is a tricky one because not only are gorillas obviously very dark in colour, this guy is also wearing a T-Rex as a hat that puts his entire face in shadow so you really don't want to go overboard on the highlights under there. Painters better than I would probably go for a secondary light source pointed up at his face to illuminate his features. A little easier than that would be to direct a light source coming from the top right to illuminate that side of his face more, since I think that side of his face peeks out from under the hat a little more. All of that can be a bit complicated and may be more than what you're looking to do and that's totally understandable.

What I would suggest in that case is to pop your highlights on the rest of the body even higher (all the way up to white or an off-white) on the highest points and that will allow you to do your highlighting a little more exaggerated on the face and as long as you don't go as high on the face as you did on the body, it should still read as being in shadow.

Another thing I would suggest would be to direct his eyes to the right, since his face is turned that way anyway. That's going to give you a plausible reason to put more white (I would use a light cream colour for the "whites") in the eyes to make them pop a little more.

177391_54_news_hub_154928_328x250.jpg.6073d362f3d371ebb65dd3260b57f640.jpg

For the colour of the irises, you want to use a lighter brown. It'll still appear as brown eyes without just reading as more darkness upon darkness. For how light, refer to Derek Schubert's eye tutorial here:

Thank you so much for taking the time and writing such detailed suggestions. I think I will redo the eyes to show some off white, realistic or not...it's a gorilla wearing a raptor skin. I think it's fair to take some artistic liberty. Also am definitely going to push the highlights a little more. I tried to make him look like a silverback which is why I didn't push them quite as much on arms and legs. 

Here a picture before I resume but from the front. I didn't take one last night but only realised on my way to work.

IMG_20170803_221152133.jpg

IMG_20170803_221114042.jpg

• Like 6

Worked a bit more on him. I think the rest will just be a bit of clean up and possibly a tiny change to the raptor skin. I think I ended up a little overboard in the chest highlights but I'm at a point where I feel like any tampering will just end up making it look worse. I generally are not too confident with high contrasts. My friend used to lovingly call my highlights "shylights". This figure really pushed me a bit out of my comfort zone. 

IMG_20170803_233850206.jpg

• Like 9

That looks great!

Don't worry about the chest highlights, I think they're great. When in doubt, always push the highlights higher! Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone with painting is generally a good thing and often leads to breakthroughs. 

• Like 3

First time trying out some green stuff. I usually use milliput and must say there is a learning curve. Now onto painting the base.

IMG_20170807_192954638.jpg

IMG_20170807_193004307.jpg

IMG_20170807_193021637.jpg

• Like 6