Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
Here are a couple great characters for Modiphius' Fallout miniatures game that I got to paint up.
The first one is the Nukacola girl- sort of a pinup girl used in advertising for the brand, so she's wearing more makeup than most Fallout characters.
The second is the alien. If you don't recognize him from the game, that probably means that you didn't explore his location yet.
An old friend from college is finally getting married so in addition to their more traditional wedding gift my wife and I decided to make them something as well. While my wife opted for a nice cross stitch wall hanger, I went my usual route of miniatures. As luck would have it I even pulled the perfect miniature from the last round of the Box of Goodwill.
Since I first met him my friend has always been a fan of Fallout, way more than I ever got into it. As a fan he owns all the games, has some Fallout wall art throughout his house, and even owns a large bucket filled with bottle caps; like I said he's a fan. So as a bonus wedding present I decided to paint up Astro Girl as the Nuka Cola girl.
This being a present I even attempted some simple eyes, a step I usually ignore.
I think he'll get a kick out of it and who knows my handiwork may even get a spot on the mantelpiece right next to his bottle of Nuka Cola Quantum.
The Cursêd Earth cries out in bitter torment. Little grows in the poisoned soil. The rain is a caustic joke. Roving gangs of marauders and mercenaries squabble and kill for the pettiest of gains. ...But that doesn't mean that people in this bleak hellscape can't accessorize!
These are the Lady and Gentleman from Crooked Dice's apocalypse line. I painted them up in schemes evoking Peter Perfect and Penelope Pitstop, from "Wacky Races." I love the rag-wrapped viola on Peter's back--a fragile souvenir from the Before-Times.
The dumpster is Reaper's, 49036. It is a magnificent piece of municipal infrastructure. The lids open and the hatches slide.
The shipping containers are 80036. I love doing rust effects! Should probably try my hand at graffiti sometime. Not like the apocalypse would have changed the fundamental nature of unruly teens.
By Jordan Peacock
Recently, Modiphius released an STL model of the Corvega Coupe, so fans can 3D-print their own (provided they have access to a 3D printer, of course). I am fortunate enough to have a friend (Chris Thesing) who actually has *two* 3D printers. He printed off two runs of the model: one in lower resolution on his older PrintrBot Plus printer (using Solutech PLA filament), and another using his newer, higher-resolution resin printer.
The PLA filament version of the model. This model prints in two pieces -- one for the undercarriage and wheel hubs, and another for the upper body shell. Alas, there are no tires, and no separate segments for the gull-wing doors, windows, hood, trunk, etc. This was printed flat on the bed, and due to the low resolution this of course means a lot of striation on those gently curving surfaces. (This is how it looked after an initial spritz of white spray primer, as the sheen of the bare plastic was problematic for taking photos of the detail, such as it is.)
On the right is the resin-printed version of the same model. First off, it's a much higher resolution, but also Chris tried printing it at a 45-degree angle (supported by temporary scaffolding) as he's seen several others do. I'm not quite sure about the advantages of doing this, but I think it makes a difference, because the curved surfaces of the hood, roof, and trunk are very shallow curves. Actually, I think if the car were put up straight on its bumper, there'd be the best result, because each of the slices across the car would have a minimum variation of width from one to the next, versus the big jumps in footprint area to each layer when the car is printed right-side-up. That's just my notion, however; there might be factors I'm unaware of that are contributing to this.
Anyway, on the left is the PLA car, but I've gone back with some sandpaper to try to smooth it out a bit. The trouble is, I noticed that I'd utterly *destroyed* the shallow scribing detail of the gull-wing doors on the roof, and I was in danger of obliterating the Chryslus symbol on the hood and other such things, so I called it quits after a bit, and hoped I could make up for it by camouflaging the striation with "rust paint" effects.
Here's a side-by-side of the two models now that each one is a little closer in terms of where I am in the process. The green car on the left is the PLA model (you can still see the striation despite my sanding), whereas the resin one is the red one on the right. I went in and painted the window areas and chrome detail in grey, and splashed some paint on the PLA undercarriage in preparation for making it look a bit rusted out. At this point, I pretty much decided that the resin car is going to look pretty much intact, though a bit grungy, with the thought that it's a car that's been restored Post-War, or has somehow otherwise been kept in relatively good condition. (I could after all use it as a "show car" for my "Chryslus Show Room" scenario.)