frank_russo_of_vault_66_by_jordangreywol

Reaper Chronoscope #50044 -- "Frank Russo, Mercenary," with bare-head option, on 25mm round resin base (War Cast Studios).

This mini from the Chronoscope line pretty much strikes me as a proxy for "Punisher-knock-off character" for a superheroic campaign, but the spandex-like costume ALSO strikes me as a good contender for a Vault-Tec vault-dweller jumpsuit.  Of the two heads provided with this mini (bare-headed, or skull mask), I went with the bare head, of course.  The basic scheme for a vault suit just means that I paint the suit blue, paint some yellow trim around the neck and down the front, and paint some number from 1 to 120 on the back.  In this case, I went with the notion of "Vault 66" for a variety of reasons: Originally, "Vault 66" was going to be a scenario for Necronomicon, giving justification for "Rex," my converted Khans road-ganger (in another thread) to be able to drive his Nuka-Bike around underground.  (Otherwise, what use would his Driving and Ace skills/Edges be in a post-apocalyptic dungeon-crawl?)  My rough idea was that the vault was built upon an old facility that once housed an underground hyperloop, and that with the conversion of the facility into a Vault, the "hyperloop" was widened into a driving track, and some nuclear-powered vehicles were housed in an adjoining garage.  Having a road to nowhere accomplishes nothing, save for giving the inhabitants a hobby, I suppose, but if the vault-dwellers were vehicle obsessed, I figured it would justify having some extra-wide hallways -- either because they were built that way originally, or modified over the following 200+ years.

I never really did anything with it, but on a whim I decided to paint up this guy as from "Vault 66."  He could be another driver/Ace type, though more combat-focused than Rex (who was a bit more well-rounded in his skill selections).

Anyway, the backdrop is a work in progress -- a Batcave play set I picked up at the Goodwill for 2 bucks, which I have been slowly transforming into a sort of cut-away Vault diorama.  It's not really practical for miniatures-gaming, as the "play area" is too narrow, and it'd be a pain to see and access minis in the corners, but I intend to use it as a sort of glorified GM screen and table display to attract attention to my game, and then to serve as a visual aid for the PCs' progress through a Vault, as they explore it.  I've moved on from the "vehicle-focused vault" idea, as I just couldn't think of an overarching "story" for the vault and what the PCs would do there, but just in case I DO do something with it, I'm keeping the terrain itself relatively neutral (i.e., I could recycle to represent Vault 66 or Vault 122 or whatever).

Those are supposed to be stimpacks on the back of his utility belt, by the way.  At that size, however, my shaky hands and bad eye sight pretty much mean that the best I can hope for is to blotch on some dots of color in the general vicinity and hope that it conveys the general idea to someone seated across the table.  This post isn't about "Gee, look at my l33t painting skills," because I don't have them, but rather about, "Gee, look, this mini could be a Vault Dweller!" because I've been on a bit of a Fallout kick for a while.  ;)

(One of these days / one of these years / hopefully sometime before I kick the bucket or my brain gets too addled for me to run these things anymore, I hope to run a Fallout-themed Savage Worlds campaign, but my player group keeps latching onto something else every time we come up for a new campaign, so I haven't gotten there yet, and my main outlet has been to run Fallout-themed one-shots at Necronomicon.)

Edited by Jordan Peacock
figure ID added
  • Like 14

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      More denizens of the post-nuclear hellscape, though they could also work well as SPACEFUTURE COMMUNISTS OF MARS ("Keep the Red Planet Red!"). Wasteland Maelee and Ivan the Mutant occupy opposite ends of the Nuclear Glow-Up spectrum. 

First, Ivan. Painted him ages ago, mostly in washes. This is another of that 3-pack of mutants from Pinnacle's "Hell on Earth" line. He has a bad case of Gnarly Arm, and those veins look like they might be infected. On the other (giant, mutated) hand, everyone likes a guy who can bicep-curl a tractor. 

Bombshell's own Wasteland Maelee, by contrast, is looking fine. Mechanic and fix-it gal of her settlement, her skills are always in demand. That colossal wrench is good for braining radioactive monsters, too, and she has the arms to swing it. 
      She's one of my most recently-finished minis and I have to say I am not displeased! Used some flesh-tone wash to give her a set of sick abs, and used 'Ardcoat for bright eyes and lip gloss. I could do a close-up of that face without shame. 

The thing under her eye is supposed to be a band-aid, I think. 

• By Rigel
      Promised more Wastelanders a while ago, and here they are! 
      On one of my Space Apes post, someone mentioned damn dirty apes getting their stinking paws off of a body. 50297, Hans, Post-Apocalyptic Survivor, seems like the sort of brick-jawed two-fisted hero who would make such a demand of a dirty ape. Look at them abs! Shirts that button are for the decadent pre-apocalyptic world! 

Yesterday was Rutger Hauer's birthday, so this guy seems appropriate. 

50283, Evie, Post-Apocalyptic Heroine, was a casualty of sudden breezes during priming. Painted a long while back, when I didn't even want to think about painting eyes. I should really Simple-Green her and start again, but since I'm both lazy and impatient we'll just say it's *very gritty and dusty* in the post-nuclear hellscape. 
      The bandage could have come out worse. 

• By Rigel
      My FLGS is pushing WH40K Kill Team and has a lot of stuff for budgets a lot bigger than mine. But I did find this nice five-pack of Chaos Cultists in tatters and rags and gas masks for cheap! I'd be irresponsible NOT to get it, especially for spacefuturey Failed Colonies or postapocalyptic nuclear hellscapes!

I've been working on them on and off for a few weeks; lots of washes, lots of repainting where the paint rubbed off. (For some reason the Imperial Primer did not want to hold paint to these GW guys.)
      Check out these bad bros and their wretched scavenged gear! 

Here's the raider with the most complete outfit. Sweet gas mask, nice coat. I got a crappy stiff brush and flicked some thinned Agrellan Earth all over him (and over all these culty boys for that matter.)  You won't keep anything clean in the Wastelands. 

This dude has cobbled together a bit of a Plague Doctor look by sewing together bits of weird masks. What's that glowing fluid going into the mask from that canister? I don't know, but these cultists sure do love that stuff! I tried to make it look like the tubes and such are actually luminous by drybrushing the areas around them, but it's hard to see in this light.

Here's a burly fellow with some ritual scarification on his shoulder. He sure does love his glow-juice. The matching spats and trousers on him and his buddies indicate they were once part of a unit that went loopy. 

We can see part of this guy's snarling face and grimy hair, so based on what the TV teaches us, he must be the leader. He's got a makeshift spiked flail tied together with cable. I decided on blue for the cables after the fashion of Horizon: Zero Dawn. 

Our man here looks like he smells even worse than you're thinking. 

And here we have a cultist with the latest in wasteland weapons technology: a bat with some horrible spikes and barbed wire. I tried to make the spikes and wire look rusty, but bloody works too. The green glow on this one didn't turn out too badly. 

What a horrible crew! Keep them far away from your settlement! 

• By SparrowMarie
      I got this for myself:

I'm having tons of fun with it. I've finished 2 so far and am onto a third. I'm trying to implement my 3D painting techniques onto paper, like highlighting and shading.

ETA: I'm using colored pencils not paint.
    • By Guildenstern
      Spoilered for my Exchange partner:

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 344 Guests (See full list)