Indirect fire

anvil

I'm not sure if I am handling this correctly. If you fire indirectly at a CAV and fail to lock, it drifts and any hits are not modified by TL. If you fire indirectly at a point on the battle field and get the lock roll, hits are modified by TL. Correct or no? Would really like to be demo'ing the game correctly. All help is appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you fire indirectly at a CAV and fail to lock, it drifts and any hits are not modified by TL

Correct...

If you fire indirectly at a point on the battle field and get the lock roll, hits are modified by TL. Correct or no?

Well... basically the spot on the battlefield takes the brunt of the missile impact and anything covered under the template get splash damage (no TL benefits).

Only the individual unit that gets target locked during IFM attack suffers from the added TL value to the missile. Any other case it's only the base damage value of the missile. Therefore, if a "point" was targeted as opposed to a unit, then only that "point" would suffer the full force of the missile and TL value... but it's a mute point since it was afterall just a "point" on the battlefield.

Hope that helps...

OTOH, 'a point on the battlefield' doesn't get ECM bonuses to resist your target-lock on it...

So it's a good way to tag those targets with huge ECM and pilot bonuses and not a lot of armor. Just take the splash damage and roll that.

Very true and a legitimate tactic. However, when it comes to IFM, it can strongly be argued that getting the added value of TL versus just splash damage makes a HUGE difference in damage. I'm glad to say that IFM does not rule the game and it's very difficult to win with only that form of attack. Rarely does opportunity arise when an IFM assault is the strength of an attack against the weakness of the opponent and the player kicks total butt.

I think I understand now. My confusion arose from what seemed like a very weak attack form. Rare target locks combined with low attack values (of the CAV's I have played) resulted in almost no damage from IF, so I wondered if I was doing it correctly. I guess I need to get a CAV with a chain lock pod, huh?

Actually, I saw a pretty decent application of this the other day - if you are on a big enough table, you target the ground at the edge of your range. Basically, if the enemy is beyond that point, you hope for the deviation and hope that the drift puts the template over some various soft targets. Not terribly effective, but sometimes any shot is better than no shot at all.

There's a straight up target number for targetting a point on the battlefield, and the table in the Rulebook already includes the WSO's skill modifier.

TL doesn't actually happen, since it's not technically a full on TL roll, so no-one that's caught in the splash gets the TL mod added to damage.