Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Bedlam

Pig Faced Orcs: A Simple Conversion

Another British company, but Antediluvian (sp?) Miniatures make a get of pig faced orcs based on the 80s Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. Artistic license added of course. 

• Like 1

Mmhm. I bought Antediluvian's Pirate set recently. Fine minis, reasonably priced.

But Tre's orcs were just SITTING there...

• Like 1

*** Excuse me! This Bacon is Green, I'm not gonna eat this!!!***

Great conversion, simple , effective and looking good!

It shows what one can do with the use of toys.

Think of the possibilities for beastmen when using farm/wildlife animals.

• Like 4

The Old Style Piggy Orcs look WONDERFUL. The conversions & brushwork are OUTSTANDINGVERY WELL DONE!

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, malefactus said:

The Old Style Piggy Orcs look WONDERFUL. The conversions & brushwork are OUTSTANDINGVERY WELL DONE!

You flatter me. These are barely tabletop quality; I mostly was just dinkin' to see if the idea was feasible. It is, depending on which orcs you use, and how you trim the pig heads; as it is, I had to brush their necks with dark brushstrokes to hide the angular cuts I made so the heads'd fit.

But I do think there are excellent possibilities here, and my kids at work won't care; painted minis, to them, are a novelty, regardless of HOW well they're painted.

Now I just need to find the rest of my Tre Manor orcs...

• Like 4

Doc, I think these are terrific. You don't give yourself enough credit. I never would have thought of this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rilkyn said:

Other world Miniatures make pig faced orcs sculpted directly from the first monster manual.

I have a set.

[Otherworld Orcs]

20 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I have a set.

I think we want to see all your Oinky-Orks (painted or not) lined up for inspection / scale comparison. 

~~~~~~~~

Years ago a fellow brought an Army to a Warhammer Grand Tournament where he was adding plastic pig heads to plastic Ogre bodies. He was using the figures as an "Ogre Kingdoms" army. (I believe that army, their lands, and the very planet they were on were officially blown to smithereens.... oops.)

All the parts and the rules came from that same company (that blew up its own planet.)

Point is: they looked like very, very big pig-orks.

Ralph Bakshi mentions get auto-like'd by me, but the pigface orcs would have earned one anyhow.  Amazing!

They can take away our pigface orcs, but gamorrean guards are forever...

Kang

Edited by Kang
Spelling

Gamorean Guards are perfectly good oldschool orcs. They're green, they're porcine, they favor archaic melee weapons, they aren't too bright, and a first level adventurer will have his hands full, fighting a Gamorrean one on one, armed with only a sword and shield. Not THEIR fault someone decided to throw a Jedi at them.

As to TGP's request:

20170808_103844.thumb.jpg.f7e9e83da6ec7b55fd723cbf3bcb236a.jpg FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:

Darksword's "Erol Clan," two of Otherworld's first PFO set, and four converted Tre Manor orcs, all using the same pig head; I think it's a tad more obvious in profile. 

It's been a decade or more since I did those Otherworld orcs, and now I want to go back and fix them; they're barely better than the slop and go job I did on the four at right.. TGP has spread my shame across the internet. TGP is a doodoohead.

Weirdly, I find that I like the Tre Manor orcs a LOT more with pig heads than I did with the original, rather shapeless orc heads. Man has his "dynamic poses" down cold, although every Bones orc I've ever done that was in the sword overhead pose? (above at far right) I've had to rebase or rework the existing base. Every one of them falls over backwards, no matter WHAT I do with the ankles.

Note: Rubber pigs do NOT come with tusks. Tusks must be made from putty, allowed to harden, cut to size, and painstakingly glued in place. Biggest PITA in the entire conversion process.

20170808_105732.thumb.jpg.d914b96db08b5617f4bc40380072d3c8.jpg

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MusicalFeline
      So, a coworker and fellow painter gave me a bunch of unwanted Warhammer Underworlds Shadespire minis, so uh... Guess that's mostly what you guys will be seeing from me in the near future!

As I'm just naturally inclined to orcs, and these guys look absolutely awesome, I painted Ironskull's Boyz first. Also, finally got my hands on some premade washes, so I ditched homemade watered down paints on these. Personally, I think it made 'em look pretty good!

The number of ants that tried to photobomb this shot was ridiculous.

The lighting on the individual shots was being weird, so sorry if some are darker and other lighter!

• By Lidless Eye
      Hadn't seen this here yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620164718/28mm-pig-faced-orcs?ref=user_menu

You enter the cavern with water dripping down from overhead. The smell of rotten meat is thick in the air. From up ahead in the distance you hear the loud battle cry of your enemy SQUEEEEEEE! 
      Painted by Ben Rodman      Pig faced orcs.  The most iconic encounter of any classic adventure. We have a nice variety of these little oinkers in the pen.
      We enlisted the help of Bobby Jackson to sculpt the porcs and Jason Wiebe for all the pork besties. They did an awesome job.
      Fortress Figures will be casting these beauties up in lead free white metal. 
      Any support for our small family owned business is greatly appreciated.
      Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler      This project is for unpainted, white metal and/or resin figurines. Models are provided NOT painted. Models are scaled to 28mm toe to eye or 1:60. Models are provided with a plastic tab/slot base. Figurines are not toys and are intended only for adults. Models may require some assembly, may have sharp or pointed parts and are a choking hazard to anyone prone to put them in their mouth.

I backed for the Ettin(ess) Bodyguard myself

• By Rigel
      Finally think I got this group finished up! I've got a soft spot for the dark pulpy weirdness of the "Hellboy" universe, as we have seen. 
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/85925-heckfella-wwwoz-lion-80058-and-rafm-hells-harbinger-raf03897
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/86757-bombshells-gillie-as-abbie-sapien

The idea got into my head to do up the rest of the BPRD Special Operations crew from equally non-official sources. A few months back I got a set of 20+ very cheap miniatures for some superhero boardgame and got it into my head to use them as guilt-free conversion fodder. One of them was pretty spot-on for a younger, less jaded version of the pyrokinetic Liz Sherman. I just added a ring of flame from a Nolzur's aasimar wizard and painted her up. Sculpt was pretty basic and blobby, but I think it gets the point across.

Click for turnaround:

Another had a costume that looked like it could be painted as a diver's suit, so SNIP went the head, and SQUISH went the green stuff, and with a mechanical-pencil eraser  cap, a jump ring, and some tiny watch parts I turned him into the ectoplasmic medium in a pressure suit, Johann Kraus. Aimed for a compromise between the movie version and the comics version. 

Turnaround, so you get all sides of that nice, open face:

The belt pouches are chunks of sprue metal. 

And of course who could forget Roger the Homunculus? This was a Nolzur's Clay Golem, and the scale is a bit off, but hey. He's a hulking construct grown from blood and herbs by a deranged alchemist, and the comics are not really consistent about just how big he is. I can overlook it. 
      Again, watch parts and sprues factored into the conversion to make his lightning capacitor chest and...other distinguishing features. I assure you, it's canonical that it looks even worse if he has pants on. 

You know the drill, 

But I know what you came here for...ACTION SHOTS!

Group photo: 

BONUS HELLBOY VILLAINS!
      Waste not! The torso for Kraus lost a head, but a bodiless bald head is perfect for Hermann von Klempt, horrible head-in-a-jar mad scientist. Ape-X makes a good Kriegaffe. 

And this project finally gave me something to do with the third Grenadier Vile Villain: a good cultish Rasputin ready to summon some Ogdru Hem and/or Ogdru Jahad.

• By Choppertown
      Hi all, my first post was answered by such warm and supportive folks I decided to have a crack at the ol' orc from Reaper mini training set #1. The left eye took me 6 tries (and twice that many curses.)  Really enjoying this new hobby, first time I tried was back in 1983 and it was a disaster.  Maybe patience does come with age.  :)
      #separatedbutnotseparate

• By Standifer
      So I finally fell into the temptation and got my first ground based sci fi minis!(I do have spaceships.) 
      A Cataphract, conquerer , and a halberd by Reaper minis came in with my horsman today! Sadly the halberd is missing a piece so it may in end up being returned. 
      So my first order of business was a small conversion to the cataphract
      Before conversion

And the conquerer has donated the necessary parts for said conversion, specifically his smaller missile pods.

A bit of work with an exacto knife removed said weapons.

And a bit more exacto work to make a spot for the pods on the Cataphract.

Some super glue to assemble the cataphract and voila! It is time for paint!

And don’t worry about the Conquerer, I have a conversion in mind for it too. It just might not be a true mech when I’m done.......

More sci-fi stuff to come soon I hope!
      And maybe just maybe I’ll try to make a backstory for these guys.
      Thankyou for looking! 

• Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)