Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My partner for the Secret Sophie exchange this year was NecroMancer and they requested demons or some other stuff, so I painted the Queen of Hell. About the same time I had ordered a 3D printer and I had found a base that kind of matched an idea I had in my head. The printer was going to ship on time, then it wasn't, then it was, and finally came in just in time to print my display base. It is from the celestial pack by Archvillain Games. It's 100mm plus some overhang. For a bit of additional flair I added some blood imps to the base.
One thing about pre-made display bases though is they can be next to impossible to actually use if they are not designed well. This base is an example of that as there is so much rubble that I had to carve away spaces for feet or build up the area with a bit of milliput to give them something to stand on. Since ancient statues were actually painted I decided to go with that and put a simple face on the bit of statue that remained.
The Queen was actually painted before my printer arrived and because things hadn't gone crazy at work yet, I actually had time to paint her properly. I went for a stylized NMM on her armor. It was the first time I had tried NMM this way. It worked but I need some more practice to really sell it. I didn't want her to look like some cheap plastic figure (even though she kinda is ) so instead of going red like the blood imps I made her skin mostly human and then put the orange/red/purples in the midtones and shadows.
Her wings don't fit in my tiny photo setup so...
And with wings. They were not attached for shipping and needed a bit of support, so ignore the paint bottle. Bones are evil. Mold lines suddenly appear everywhere. And for better or for worse, a year from now her wings will sink toward the earth, but they should rotate and touch the base.
A few extra pics I took, if anyone wants to look
I received this little 3D print with some minis I bought near the beginning of me getting back into painting. I looked at it and thought it was soooo cool. Now that months have gone by and I've got more of an eye for things I like and don't like, it became immediately apparent that this thing had a number of flaws.
1. 3D print left that weird topographic build quality to it.
2. The paint has a weird time adhering to it because of the lines in the model
3. The size of it is WAY out of proportion for 28mm, unless those are actual full size trees and this is a campfire for giants.
Overall it's just not a very good model. Yet, it was something that was sitting there calling me out and needed to get painted. I'll find some use for it, but I honestly think it came out pretty decent. I used a Stormy Grey from MSP on the rocks w/ GW Agrax Earthshade. On the wood I used a chocolate brown and brown sand mix (leftover on the palette...just went for it) with a GW Sepia Wash. Then I used flat red inside the burning log, highlighted up with a lemon yellow and flat red mix, then highlighted again with lemon yellow. Then dotted with white. The log was a little on the light side after the first wash, so I took Nuln Oil to it and dulled it down, which worked and gave it that more dark colored effect. The whole thing looks like it's actually warm when I'm looking at it, so the effect worked! I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just gotta find an ogre or giant to put it with....
This was a repaint from earlier this year. I bought Quickshade Strong Tone for speed painting some of my board games and tried it in Woody. I liked the way it worked for the most part but as you can tell I got some frosting when I matte coated it. Another thing that happened was my paint cracked on my base but I kinda like the way it looks. I probably won't bother fixing any of the issues as I moved on to another figure I am struggling with.
Who's Online 16 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)