Minis you would like to see

Darkrelease

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What would I like to see?

An ankheg! No one, and I mean no one, has ever done an ankheg miniature, and yet they're a fairly common D&D monster.

Another D&D monster I'd love to see would be a salamander. Ral Partha did a really nice one, and the WotC Chainmail salamander was pretty good too, but they're both OOP now. And y'know, if your PCs are heading for the City of Brass, you really need a good-sized squad of salamanders. ::P:

A giant crab would be really cool. A realistic one, not a cheesy fantasy spiky thing like the giant scorpion Reaper produced a while back.

A cyclops would be nifty. On scale with the giants, of course, and holding a boulder over his head like Polyphemus in the Odyssey.

Tiny monkey cavalry mounted on cheetahs, waving pointy sticks over their heads.

A giant nautilus crawling over the ground, a la Ray Harryhausen's "Mysterious Island" maybe clutching a Scantily-Clad Woman In Peril (SCWIP) in a slimy tentacle. With lots of fiddly detail in the shell to be drybrushed.

An off-duty orc, leaning against a spear stuck point-first into the ground, picking his nose nonchalantly. Or scratching his rear. Both poses would be acceptable.

An ogre having lunch -- biting the head off an elf bard.

A giant nautilus crawling over the ground, a la Ray Harryhausen's "Mysterious Island" maybe clutching a Scantily-Clad Woman In Peril (SCWIP) in a slimy tentacle. With lots of fiddly detail in the shell to be drybrushed.

You won't find to many of those scantily clad women in peril in the Reaper lines. They try to avoid a lot of minis like that.

Back when D&D was a basement game, miniatures of monsters were not widely available, so Gygax et al used packs of those cheap chinese toy dinosaurs ( which can still be found today ).

besides the usual dinosaurs, which everyone will recognize, these packs contained 2 obviously non-dino monsters. One became the bullete, the other the rust monster. I played with these same packs as a kid, and many years realized "What is that critter doing in the Monster Manual, and why was it in a dinosaur toy pack?"

Basically Gygax and friends didn't know what they were, so stuck it on the table and went "Uuuh, you here a noise, it is the fearsome, uhm, uh, Bullete! Yeah! That's it"

<paraphrased/made up of course>

Recently, I encountered packs of these same cheapo dinosaurs at a supermarket, they still had the phoenix colored teranadon, but no bullete. It did have 2 anklosaurs, so perhaps it was a packaging mixup. I'll stop by and check again... :)

A giant crab would be really cool. A realistic one, not a cheesy fantasy spiky thing like the giant scorpion Reaper produced a while back.

A cyclops would be nifty. On scale with the giants, of course, and holding a boulder over his head like Polyphemus in the Odyssey.

Tiny monkey cavalry mounted on cheetahs, waving pointy sticks over their heads.

An off-duty orc, leaning against a spear stuck point-first into the ground, picking his nose nonchalantly. Or scratching his rear. Both poses would be acceptable.

An ogre having lunch -- biting the head off an elf bard.

Exactly, just a nice big crab.

Cyclops i'm surprised hasn't been done. but i'd think it better to make it a little smaller than the giants.

monkeys? ::D: i love it. but it might almost be just as cool if they made some kind of cavemen doing that.

the orc and ogre ideas are good as well.

Oh. and those cheapo non dinosaurs still exist in some packs of dinosaurs. i even have a few still from when i was a kid.

what i believe u call the bullet is a complete abomination though. haha

For the SCWIP I didn't mean anything too graphic - something akin to Fay Wray in Kong's paw.

EDIT: Or, even better, it could be holding a limp knight, his armor battered and crushed by the powerful tentacles of the beast, which is now daintily shelling him, armor plate by armor plate, so as to eat him. Just like a human shelling a lobster... :;):