Minis you would like to see

Darkrelease

Umm...

Actually, my group and I use sheilds.  A good defense is a good offense, no?  And it's not like magical armor is just lying around everywere.

Oh and bucklers.  Lot's of bucklers.  What's that?  A plus to AC and you can still use a small or medium weapon with that arm?  Why not then?

Isn't this a popular item for players?

Leather or no armor?  20 dex?  Wha?!!!!

You make it sound as if nearly every fighter or just about anyone has 20 dex.

I thought most players would like a high AC and use chainmail a lot since it's the highest AC without lowering your max speed with a reasonable dex modifier.  

Having a high dex increases one's AC and with the 3rd edition of D&D, stats go up every 4 levels.  So if you're an elf with a +2 dex bonus, put an 18 in that slot, boom, 20 dex at 1st level.  That gives you a 15 AC.  Throw in some leather (or studded leather, it's cheaper than chain) and it goes up to around 17 or so.  In previous editions, that's a three AC.  Not bad for 1st level eh? Shields only give a +1 to AC so aren't worth the weight.  In 3Ed using two weapons causes you to suffer huge penaltys unless you are ambi and have two weapon style and use a smaller weapon in the off hand.  So as a fighter, take two weapon fighting and ambi as starting skills and bob's yer uncle.   OR be an archer.  That uses your dex skill instead of strenght for rolling to hit so you're better off.

As for two weapons not being realistic....we're talkin D&D here.  Ain't none of it real.  It's called "fantasy" for a reason, see?

Never looked into bucklers before.  Might do that next time I get a chance to play.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, HC. Way to twist the rules to your benefit. Had I seen that on a character sheet, I would be tempted to throw a rock at you (it was a big rock...) or lock you in a room with poison gas... :)

But long experience has taught me that if you have all that dex, no matter what you class is, pick up Weapon Finess: Rapier (Or shortsword). There are more magical mods for hand-to-hand weapons than there are for missile weapons.

Legolas was good with a bow, but when crunch time came, it was all about shortswords.

--lstormhammer, 15th level Player/15th level GM (Yes, I'm an Epic character)

Actually, if you use a weapon in the off hand with a buckler you do NOT get the bonus to AC from it, plus you take another -1 penalty to hit (PHB 3.0 pg 105, 3.5 pg 124).  Bucklers are good for Halflings/Gnomes to get the +1 AC without a lot of extra weight (or the cheese +5 mithril buckler for spellcasters).  You cant even shield bash with them (and per D&D rules, a shield bash isn't that great either - all the penalties of TWF with sad damage).

I see nothing wrong with HCs 20 Dex Elf, it's perfectly within the rules.

I agree with the high Dexterity.  Now I don't play straight Fighters (I think the class is weak past 4th level and I'm not so sure past 2nd level), but I put a higher stat in Dex way before Strength (in fact, it's my primary stat for non-spellcasters and second stat for spellcasters).  You should never stand toe-to-toe with someone and trade damage (unless you are sure you can take it - and how can you be sure).  I'll take getting hit less over doing more damage.

And Finesse is just icing on the cake, not only do you get hit less, you can hit more.  It reduces your MAD (multiple ability dependency), which is important if you aren't rolling 100 times for your stats (seen it) or using point buy (did I mention I'm a fan of point buy?).

So, ON TOPIC, if more character minis are to be made, we need to see more with lighter armor (mobility is important in D&D) and finessable weapons (Rapiers, please).  Two weapon characters are OK (since people seem to want them), but the stats for D&D don't really give you a big bonus for TWF if you run the numbers (in fact 3.5 favors two handed weapons even more, but I dont see too many people taking advantage of that).

Characters with guns!

I saw Kenzer's new Pirate suppliment and flipped through it.  Nice art, not as much crunch as I was looking for.  The unforgivable part though was that you had priates and ships and no black powder weapons.  Giant ballistas on the decks of pirate ships.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Most of Reaper's pirates/swashbuckliers are the same.

Kids, if you accept full plate armour in your D&D (or any fantasy) game then you can accept single-shot match or flintlocks.  By the time full plate has all the "bugs" worked out black powder weapons were on the rise.  Cannons on battle fields were relatively common before full plate armour.  Just a mini-rant about what some people consider acceptable in fantasy and what not.

So for  Kyla, Bounty Huntress Warlord 14025) I'm going to replace the hand/light crossbow (dumb weapon unless hunting vampires) with a match or flintlock weapon from a GW mini.

I just don't understand why someone would make a Renaissance figure and not give it Renaissance weapons like rapiers or pistols.

Iain.

Don't forget, DS that a lot of the Fighter's coolness is the huge number of feats they get at 1st level, and continue to get at almost a one every other level rate. They also have some of the highest hit die of the game (up there with Rangers and Paladins). They are straight line fighters who take and deliver a huge ammount of damage and continue onwards. While the Rogue depends on wit and skill, the fighter depends on one thing: His weapon. They take the punishment because we all know that the Mage (yes, I still call them Mage) can't.

--lstormhammer, who will now go and make a Fighter. Woohoo!

I see... some of us play D&D3E... yupp, we all have our own personal issues... (just being my own sarcastic self, it is not intended to insult or continue a debate on the merits or demerits of that system, just my POV).

But to the important part, characters with guns.  Actually for Stunties (these currently being what I'm working on) (Dwarves for the unenlightened) accross the gameworlds these are the most likely to have the industrial capacity to produce the guns, and the interest in the mechanization process (rarely do they have true wizards).  Thus it makes sense for them to have guns and or be more technologically advanced.  

To the person who noted that he was looking into getting GW gun bits:  Did you find anything cheap that looked good?  The bit on the Dwarf command sprue looks like ####.

As for the comment on fantasy... The laws of physics in most fantasy settings are the same as ours.  Most things work the same, including such minor details as what happens to the body when you try to use two weapons.   My two cents.  I have my own very strong biases when I GM any game, but thats all from my background and well... we all have our own problems...

Exactly, coolness at first level.  After a while, the cool factor drops off.

I believe that feats give you a diminishing return after a while.  I've even considered giving the Fighter a feat EVERY level to see if it would balance out.  Remember also, the bonus feat comes from a pool of feats, not just any feat you want to take.

If HP is your thing, then multiclass with a Barbarian.  Better HD, the ability to Rage, and Fast Movement if you wear light armor.  At higher levels you even get damage reduction!  Even if all you want to be is a Tank Damage Sponge, you can still multiclass as a Barbarian and be decked out in your heavy armor.  You won't get the Fast Movement, but you get the rest of the package.

The Fighter does depend on his weapon, another drawback IMO.  What if you face a foe who is immune to your weapon (not unheard of at higher levels)?  What if you face a foe who disarms you?  What if you face a foe who sunders your weapon?  What if you face a foe who grapples you (I doubt you took weapon specialization in dagger)?

While a Fighter is nice, a party can survive without one.  You don't need to take damage.

Although we should probably start a new thread to discuss this...

I see... some of us play D&D3E... yupp, we all have our own personal issues...

Easy now Walker, I would venture a guess that most of us play D&D.  With the majority of those playing some form of 3rd edition.

As for guns, in the Forgotten Realms you can actually get a pistol as bonus starting equipement if you're from the right area.  They aren't very accurate though, take time to reload, and they take a feat to be proficient with.  I've got no problems with that (actually have a player IMC that has one, she isn't proficient with it yet though).

For gun bits I was going to recommend the Pirates of the Dragonspire Sea, but for some reason I can't find the Boneyard...

People can weild two weapons, it's just harder (and a lot of times they didn't fight with both, but used the offhand weapon to parry).  D&D3E does take that into account with reduced chances to hit using TWF.

Easy now Walker, I would venture a guess that most of us play D&D.  With the majority of those playing some form of 3rd edition.
Yupp, I realized that, that's why I included the disclaimer, it is in fact the same way I would ahve told it to you in person...  Alot of people think it's the best thing since sliced bred, my opinion differs.  I suspect it is great for a type of game I don't enjoy.  Eh, that's life.

For gun bits I was going to recommend the Pirates of the Dragonspire Sea, but for some reason I can't find the Boneyard...

Is that a boxed set, or can you pick up the gun bits seperately, and of course do they look nice/do they scale well to the reaper Dwarves... which is one of the conversions I'm looking to do.

People can weild two weapons, it's just harder (and a lot of times they didn't fight with both, but used the offhand weapon to parry).  D&D3E does take that into account with reduced chances to hit using TWF.

Not enough IMHO.  Miyamoto Musashi, yes (and even he didn't fight most of his duels with them), anyone who's practiced less than 10-15 years with the style exclusively... nope.  Sorry, unless you are naturally ambidexterous (bloody rare) the amount of coordination is insane.  Think of painting two figures at the same time with, one with each hand (that's probably slightly harder, but it is also a non-stress situation).  Now the parry aspect, sure.  However then the shield is better (bigger, protects better and requires less training to be marginally effective, this is bloody hard to represent in high fantasy settings which is why you don't see this kind of cost benefit analysis in D&D and similar).

As for the person pointing out that part of this thread should be moved... concur.

This talk of dwarves with guns - and other odd implements - leads to me something I would like to see - open-hand minis I can add weapons to. I have these old TSR AD&D Dwarves* that came 3/blister with a shield sprue and a weapon sprue. I have outfitted a few packs of them myself and armed them with shields and weapons from their own pack, the Reaper weapons pack, and so on. Lots of identical dwarves to start with, but weapon choice is beyond trivial - pick it out, glue it on, and viola! new dwarf mini. Lop off some horns on a helm or add some detail with green stuff (or from my bits box) and the minis look very different.

It also occured to me that my favorite thing about the GW plastic models is the choice of gear - so easy to buy the models and make them anything from crossbowmen to archers to halberdiers to sword-armed pistol-packing pirates. Gear choice on a mini is fantastic.

So, I would really love to see figures like that. Yes, even dwarves, nevermind how many I already have. I mean, I didn't need as many as I have now, but it is so fun to pick new weapons for them.

* Which were bizarrely tall back in the 80s, but now are almost the same height as my Chainmail and (Olley) Reaper dwarves. Heh. They fit in just fine nowadays.

Well for a PC:

A blind sorceror/wizard. yes i could just paint one to be blind but i am thinking of one with a bandana around his eyes.

I am currently playing one in out Gurps campaign

As for monsters im still trying to think of one i want :D