Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Ok, this is a mini that I made as a joke for a friend of mine. He GMs a lot of games, and has always been a bit fascinated by the fact that the Half Dragon template can be added to almost any kind of creature. Including ones that reproduce by dividing.
Truly, the biology of dragons is a wonder.
Anyway, he got to completely wreck the party with this Half Black Dragon Gelatinous Cube.
I made it by combining some parts from an invisible dragon and gelatinous cube minis (both from Reaper’s Bones line). I used water effect for gap filling and a bit of sculpting, and added a little color with some thinned down paints. I wanted to give the impression that it picks up debris from the floor as it moves along.
Except for the eyes, which are totally opaque so that they can show up. Seriously, I think they’re the only part that really shows up at all in the pictures, but you get the idea.
In an unrelated project for the same friend, I found a really strange bit that I think is supposed to be the head of a dragon, but seriously looks like a half dragon spider. So that got painted too.
Man, dragons really make some poor choices.
As Halloween approaches the dollar stores are filling up with cheap decorations and spooky bricabrac. Amid all the potential projects a certain reflective skull caught my eye. Not knowing if it would take paint or not I decided to roll the dice on a few. I attached them to some bases, added a bit of sand, and the next day I took them out to prime.
They ended up taking primer just fine, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised with the primer I use. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of their grey primed goodness.
Next up were the basecoats of the skull and "dirt".
I didn't get great or even smooth coverage on the skulls, but it was good enough as I was just going to add a heavy wash anyway.
The wash was a bit thicker than I wanted but again I figured it was passable and more than good enough to move onto a final drybrush.
Not too bad, but there is definitely room for improvement. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit more with my new drybrush.
I finally took the leap and tried Uncle Atom's makeup dry brushing technique. Though this project probably qualifies as a failure, I do see the potential. Now all I need is more practice, it's not like I don't have a huge backlog of terrain just waiting to be painted.
Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.
Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more.
They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick.
They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine.
Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
Who's Online 28 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)