bojesphob Posted August 10, 2017 Share Posted August 10, 2017 (edited) It's been a LONG time since I posted on here... Probably at least 2 years... But, I've kept up with the kickstarters and although I missed Bones 3, I am definitely in on Bones 4! Anyhow, once I saw Ma'al Drakar from Bones 3, I KNEW I had to have it! Someone on eBay posted one before they were available through retail, and was able to get one earlier than I had been planning on. So, the past few months I've been working on it as I have free time, and have been taking pictures as I went along. Figured I'd post my progress and show some of my techniques. I apologize for the low quality of the images. My workspace has terrible lighting for pictures, and my phone just doesn't photograph well in lower light. Anyhow, unlike many I've seen WIP pics for here, I actually fully assembled mine before I started painting. There really aren't very many places that will be tight, and I have an easier time visualizing what I want to paint when I have it assembled. Funny story with this: My 2 year old came outside when I was assembling and aske me what this was. I told her it was a dragon, and her reply was "It's CUTE!" LOL She then saw it again inside when I brought it in and said "Daddy, it's a dragon, it's awesome!" Anyhow, then tried green stuffing some of the gaps and cleaning mold lines. Unfortunately, the gap on the tail was too much for the green stuff apparently because when it dried it kind of shrunk back into the gap and you can see it. That and I missed a few mold lines (major one I missed was the one across the stomach/hip). Not too noticeable, but of course it will bug me. Next came priming. I know I didn't have to prime, but I typically start with a black base for everything that I paint so it makes it a lot easier to just use a primer to start off with. I use Dupli-color sandable car primer: dries relatively quickly and is EXTREMELY difficult to overspray with and coats very evenly. After hitting the small areas that I somehow managed to miss with the primer with a black paint, I started with the front base part. Darker gray (mechanicum gray from GW, if I remember correctly). I excluded the dragon faces and feet so that I can paint those seperately. When dried, hit up with a black wash (GW Badab Black, I believe I used) Still wet After that dried, a drybrush of a lighter gray. Then, I painted the faces and feet with a tan (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head), then washed using Gryphonne Sepia wash (GW, discontinued unfortunately :( ) Another drybrush of even lighter gray after that dryed, then dry brush of a lighter tan over the faces and feet. Continued in next post.... On to the heads! I wanted a frost dragon to be the head with the curved horns: reminded me of Loki from Avengers so it seemed to fit. Started with a white (GW Ceramite White, I think). Took a couple of coats to get it to my liking Then decided to do a sort of icy looking horns for him. So, started off with a darker blue (but not too dark) Then, to do a wash on the white head, I decide to use a watered down Privateer Press P3 Troll Underbelly (not sure if that's specifically the right one or not, but will check). Did a test on the ear with the wash I liked the look, so I completed the head. Unfortunately, right now the photos don't do the white head justice. Once I get finished painting it, I will try to get better pics to show it all off :) I then did the seconde head with black with gray highlights. That one isn't quite as exciting, since that's pretty much a standard way of painting the black (it will show up better in later pics) Dry brushed the horns with a white, and the rest of the head as well to bring back out some of the details, then painted the eyes. Another view with the heads and the base that's close to being done continued... Edited August 11, 2017 by bojesphob 17 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.