Sign in to follow this  
LarsM

The angry Wizard and the mad Dwarf (lots of pictures)

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think it looks great!

I'm not qualified to comment on OSL, only tried it once myself

Thank you.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Doug's Workshop said:

As I have a couple Grenadier dwarves on my painting desk now, I have to say well done!

As for the OSL, I've found two things that work best for me:

1) the lighted areas have to be lighter in color than the base coat.

2) Glaze the appropriate color from the lighting source over the lighted area.

Having the start yellow-orange of the fireball would work better if the overall scene were darker.  Fire doesn't impart a strong yellow-orange color on stuff when it's light outside.

But since my OSL attempts can be counted on one hand, I might not be the best to offer advice.

Still, I love those Grenadier dwarves, so I'm hopeful he can overcome his magic-wielding adversary.  Love the icicles. 

Thank you about the icicles, I just wish they hang a bit more straight down.. but they were such a hasle to control!

Yes, I think youre right, I should have made the hole scene Darker.

I am sure he will overcome the magic trick, He is mad after all!! :0)

• Like 1

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rilkyn said:

I really like the whole piece..  putting stories like this is not something I've tried and always appreciate the imagination the goes into their creation.

love the basing, snow and icicles and wizard and dwarf combat poses sell the duel

Thank you! 

I almost find it "hard" to make single figures, I always imagine them in some kind of duel/situation..my imagination just runs away :-)

Therefor I love minis in dynamic poses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruunwald said:

The dwarf should just jump backward, off the stone, and watch the wizard see-saw away.

Hahaha :0) 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corporea
      This was my Secret Sophie gift to Inarah.  I had a lot of fun painting it, though I was cranky there wasn't much room to play with freehand!  Let's see... the crystals are a combination of sculpey, green stuff, sprue cut into crystal shapes and actual small quartz crystals. You can buy them cheap online in bulk. Great for terrain projects.  The colors are nightmare black, clouded sea and mint green, then after I was done highlighting, I glazed the whole thing except in the light effect area with pthalo green. It knocked down the highlights a bit and I like the more teal look it gives.  The fire was pure white, sun yellow, marigold yellow, fire red and spattered crimson. I think I used some Golden brand carbon black for the deep shadows.

Anyway, enjoy!  I didn't do a lot of WIP stuff for this one, sorry! er, and my camera was dead so I had to use my phone.  The balance is always funky.

I decided I wanted to work on OSL, so I planned ahead of time while painting the miniature. I find this helpful for OSL. I decide where I'll have the light effect and then up the highlighting on that side keeping in mind the spread and direction of the light.  Then when I add the colored effect, the highlighting is already done. I think where I see folks fall down on lighting is one of two things:  remembering that light is brightest at its source and lessens outwards, or thinking that light is color rather than brightness or higher value. Meaning  we have to highlight first before we add the light effect, or it just looks like paint, not light.  If you take a black and white photo of a mini, you should be able to see the light and effect is closer to white. If done incorrectly, the light effect will disappear.  You also have to darken shadows elsewhere to sell the effect. It becomes complicated, but in all honesty, you can do OSL with drybrushing, as long as you remember to highlight first!

Enjoy! C&C always welcome!

Here's what I mean with the black and white photo- see how you don't see the color of the light, but you still see the light?

• By Standifer
      This is a Dwarf Lord Ragmir by Scibor monstrous miniatures, I got this for my nephew awhile back and just finished it. This thing had a lot of good details, and a cool base even if it was a little small, which is no longer an issue since I just mounted him on his stock base and then a metal knockout from an electrical box. 

Thanks for looking!

• By Crissair
      This lil guy had been sitting on my shelf for a while. Decided to tint some metallic w blue paint for his armor. Pretty happy how it turned out. As always, feedback is welcome

• By Dae
      I recently finished Anirion! It was time to add layering to my toolbox of techniques and he seems to be the go-to model for learning.

Since by I now have (just) over 10 minis under my belt, I'm obviously an expert  so I felt confident enough to go with my own colors rather than the ones in the instructions (from Layer-Up kit). Still, even with my "vast experience", I've only painted beasts and monsters so far -- no fancy clothing on any of them -- so I was a bit nervous about messing up my first hero, but you gotta start somewhere. 

I think he turned out great, but it went nothing like the videos one might find... And by that I mean it took me several painting sessions over a few weeks to finish him.

More on how it went on: pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/10/19/anirions-wavy-robes/  *

* First post, woo-hoo! Still finding my way around here. Rules seem to allow non-commercial external links, let me know if I'm wrong... Our blog, Pocket-Sized Adventurers, features the works of two newbies and is meant to keep track of our progress and share our experience with whomever might find it helpful.
    • By JadenZion
      So, I just had to show off this pic.  I'm playing in a 5e Rappan Athuk campaign, and needed to make 3 characters.  I chose to model mine after the characters from the old Lost Vikings video game.  

In order from left to right:
      Olaf the Stout, Life Domain Cleric.
      Baelog the Fierce, Totem Warrior Barbarian.
      Erik the Swift, Battlenaster Fighter (my main).

Sorry, I just really loved this picture.  

• Who's Online   26 Members, 1 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)