My brother was cutting up cedar limbs to use for a project for his wife.  I figured I might as well grab a few just in case I might could turn them into bases or platforms for miniatures.  I have several sizes and several heights, but when I started looking I was not finding much on integrating something like this into a base.  Lots of things for already prepared woods, but not many ideas on fresher wood.  Now, most of these limbs were dropped from trees, so, not exactly full of sap:

IMG_4235.thumb.jpg.e8c119cf7eb189c18a3b8c04331b9e51.jpg

I am thinking I would need sealer but wasn't sure how that would interact when trying to get a miniature to adhere, or should I strictly use the taller ones as a plinth of some kind that the completed miniature sits on?

Thoughts? Ideas? Practical experience?

Also need to find the best way to handle the bark (leave it, clear it, etc.).

• Like 2
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing I thought was that I would have liked it cut into cubes. 

There is really nice grain.  If it is dry and free from sap, you might try just an application of tung oil.  But you shouldn't have issues gluing to any sealer. 

• Like 3

This is the kinda thing I'm looking for.

I have bought stuff like this before.

If it is a fresh one, let it dry so the saps will be gone.

You said it doesn't contain much so that's great.

I bought something like that in a garden centre and I covered it in dash clay before building the diorama on it.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65337-halloween-pumpkin-house-and-witches-project-by-glitterwolf/&

Another wooden disc ( not even a tree round) I primed before building.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/73384-the-elder-god-escapes-his-container-by-glitterwolf/

• Like 3

Cool.  Thanks guys.  I have enough I can experiment with, so once the Tung Oil arrives, I'll see how it all goes together and if I can retain enough of the bark to feel like it does currently (minus the fly-aways).

• Like 3

I did a diorama out of a small piece like this for my wife's birthday this year. It was dried poplar. I wanted to save the rough bark on the edges but most of it came off when I sawed it. Can't really give much advice. All I did was paint it with thick craft paints as a base coat and then painted or flocked on top of that.

• Like 2

Took a couple pics of what I did. The river was made with a router, some of the bits were bought at Michaels and the rest were just rocks and twigs from around the farm and a little flock and moss from my terrain supplies. I didn't seal the wood before painting but did use a spray varnish after. I'd probably want to use a sealer like Sergeant_Crunch if I was to make another one.

IMG_5288.JPG

IMG_5289.JPG

• Like 8

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SparrowMarie
      I am looking for something to put on Grimtalon's base that will look like desert sand. I have found a few things but I am not sure how well they will work. I don't really want to spend 10$ for Citadel technical paints if at all possible. I thought Army Painter might have some but alas they do not.

I did find some Vallejo desert sand gel. Has anyone worked with this before? If so, how did it come out?

Are there other options I have not considered that might work? I'm still fairly new to basing so I want to put a little more effort than "winging it" for this.
    • By Kuroneko
      I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but I need to pick the brains of people with more terrain experience than myself. To be honest, that's pretty much everyone on the forum, but there you go! 

I've been experimenting with different water effects on bases because I'm planning a somewhat finicky deep pond effect on a particularly awesome mini coming in the Bones 5 Kickstarter. It's been an interesting journey/struggle/experience but this one particular one has flummoxed me because it manifested a full three weeks after the material had set. Here's a couple of pics. It was crystal clear before.

You can see the cloudiness, it appeared overnight on the base. It seems to follow the line of the second layer of the material. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? It was Secret Weapon Water Effects. 
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.

They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line.  This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs.  I am worried about getting a good hold.

So I have a few questions:

1: how to fasten these guys to a base?  Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
      2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
      3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?

So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter.  There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders.  Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape.  I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently.  One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.

Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit.  I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).

The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.

Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful.  My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
    • By [email protected]
      Started painting during the pandemic but was really intimidated by basing. Finally picked up some supplies and based my first couple models. Really improved the overall quality and aesthetic. 

• By MoonglowMinis
      Not super sure where to post this but this made the most sense to me. I found some fantastic miniature pumpkins at my local Joann Fabrics.

Hopefully you can find them elsewhere if you don't have a Joann's.
      They come in $10 bags that are pretty big. I don't see myself ever needing to buy more. 

They say "fall drieds" which makes me think they're some kind of organic. But they have the consistency of some kind of acorn or pinecone. So pretty solid. I don't think they'd deteriorate but if you're worried I'm sure a sealant of some kind would do the trick. 

They come in a mix of sizes but they all look pretty good at 28mm scale. The cutting mat has half-inch squares.
      Most of the pumpkins are of the artistically exaggerated size compared to a mini, and the smaller ones tend to be darker and a bit more mishapen. The coloration in them is pretty decent. I think they could use a layer of highlights but if you're in a hurry or making a huge pumpkin patch, then they look just fine. 

Anyways, I hope this is useful for someone!
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)