Today, I unveil my first successful sculpt.

That I am somewhat PROUD of, that is. I once sculpted a very passable goblin head. In 62mm. Trouble is, it had started out as 25mm. But today, I break the streak of failure; the BLACK GLOBULOID is complete and ready to face off against adventurers!

Now, the Monster Manual calls 'em Black Puddings, and I suppose that's what this is, but I find the name indistinct; google "black pudding," and the first thing you get is a bunch of recipe and cooking sites from Yorkshire and suchlike. That's not what I wanted. In Soviet D&D, pudding eats YOU! So this is a Black Globuloid, and you can jolly well use the BP stat block if it suits you, or not.

Awhile back at a FLGS, I noted in the glass case full of singles that WotC had released a Black Pudding miniature. It was on a largish base, and was designed like an enveloping wave, big enough that you could put a medium mini INSIDE it, on the same base. I LIKED that idea. And then I priced the single. They wanted fifteen bucks for it.

"$15? For something that looks like I could do it in fifteen minutes with... a hot... glue... gun....?" I thought, as the wheels began to spin...

Front.thumb.jpg.09ef49e170194eab98bcbcf7999b0625.jpg And so I began. It started with one of the big Reaper bases left over from a previous Kickstarter; I figured if it didn't work, I could just peel off the hot glue and reuse the base for a more successful project. I then centered a little glass bell jar on the base, and ran a bead of hot glue along the bottom, sorta fastening it to the base... and then building upwards a little... messily and gloppily. From there, I basically built half a birdcage out of hot glue, let it cool, and then carefully pried the bell jar away from the glue. The bottom of the cage came loose from the base in a couple of places, but a dab more hot glue fixed that. And from there, I just glopped hot glue into the gaps in the bird cage... until I had a solid, semicircular wall. 

Then I stuck the bell jar back in there, and glopped more hot glue over it until it was a sort of breaking wave, then let it cool, popped the bell jar out, and laid a coat of black paint on it, inside and out. It was mostly dry when these pictures were taken, but you can still see a few damp spots. The Dwarf Butcher is included for scale.

Back.thumb.jpg.851246927e1450bcf7efdbaf42962dba.jpg Side.thumb.jpg.e738c3c7fa0180730af73e53a814efca.jpg Altogether, I find it a perfectly acceptable ooze, at the cost of a base, about three mini hot glue sticks and some paint. I do think it'll look even better after a coat of gloss varnish, though.

In the course of this post, though, it was mentioned to me that when you beat up on a Black Pudding, it splits into smaller puddings.

I guess I'll need to make some more.

• Like 11

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.