I edited my post above. I think it is the squareness that is throwing me off. Do you have round dowels or anything that you could make posts from?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pochi said:

I edited my post above. I think it is the squareness that is throwing me off. Do you have round dowels or anything that you could make posts from?

7 minutes ago, SGHawkins09 said:

I would try cutting them in half and then rounding off the tops, with a dremel or soemthing similar, to mimic the doors. That should help.

Tomorrow I'll  look through my materials and see what I have on hand and if nothing else I'll try to cut the posts in half and round them off. 

• Like 1

Maybe a moo point, but the top and bottom columns near the stairs appear unaligned, probably not attached yet.

For the banister posts, could you use straw? Or a plastic pen tube? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

Maybe a moo point, but the top and bottom columns near the stairs appear unaligned, probably not attached yet.

For the banister posts, could you use straw? Or a plastic pen tube? 

original.png

Like the idea, though. Perhaps cutting a pencil into pieces?

• Like 2

Nice project goin on here.  I agree with cutting down the bannister posts. Try Hobby town for round styrene rods ( I know, you didn't wanna go to the store). No mention of those cool coulmn bases? They are awesome, where'd they come from?

Edited by Flaming Tiki
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Flaming Tiki said:

Nice project goin on here.  I agree with cutting down the bannister posts. Try Hobby town for round styrene rods ( I know, you didn't wanna go to the store). No mention of those cool coulmn bases? They are awesome, where'd they come from?

Hmm I do have styrene rods on hand. Guess I forgot about them. 

Columns are from Dragon Forge Design. He does some really cool bases and scenery items.  

• Like 2

I think you should flip the 2nd floor balcony pillars around so that the large base is pointed towards the sky like you see in ancient ruins(roman, greek, egyptian, etc), just a suggestion since it's a balcony and not a floor so they seem 1 piece and not two pieces. But I like your style and look forward towards your progress. also too bad you don't have brass etchings in your parts box for the railings, (hint, hint) I know don't want too shop.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kazmania7 said:

I think you should flip the 2nd floor balcony pillars around so that the large base is pointed towards the sky like you see in ancient ruins(roman, greek, egyptian, etc), just a suggestion since it's a balcony and not a floor so they seem 1 piece and not two pieces. But I like your style and look forward towards your progress. also too bad you don't have brass etchings in your parts box for the railings, (hint, hint) I know don't want too shop.

Hmm... I wanted to give the illusion that the ceiling is much higher up than what the columns go to. If I flip them, they give the impression that the ceiling right above them. 

I'm still not exactly sure what I want to do for the balcony railing. I'm having a crisis of inspiration for them with what I have on hand. I thought that the plastic/cord would look cool, but as everyone says it's too bulky and I really don't want to mess with cutting that hard plastic in half and then rounding it off.

Time to dig through some more parts/basing boxes and look for more inspiration online!

Everyone, please feel free to give me some ideas for the railing as I look around. I can use some help here to make it look good and believable. 

• Like 1

Do you have a thin plasticstuct sheet I think they're called, say like 0.10 mm thick that's really bendable. Cut it in a 1/2 in.-

1 in. strip depending how u glue to balcony either covering the entire lip of the balcony or place it on top of the floor. Lip would be best. You can cut diamond squares evenly along its length also (exacto would be most you need) and you said 

you already have the piping which you can glue/melt on the top part (to give you an image like you would see in a garden

or house fence). I suggested the diamond holes so that your summoner bottom half isn't completely obscured. (p.s. the plasticstruct is what I use to build houses, building structures when I was into model railroading way back when, should even be able to get at a hardware store like ace if memory serves me right...hell getting old, lol.)

Edited by kazmania7
forgot to add comment
  • Like 1

I liked the post and cords but the posts seemed to0 bulky and could have possibly blocked the view of any minis behind them. If you want to stay with that look, I just had an idea. Use toothpicks for the posts (with the points removed) and use sewing thread instead of the heavy cord. It would give you a similar look without blocking the line of sight too much.

Edited by SGHawkins09
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, aku-chan said:

My first thought is, does it need a railing? I think it looks good without one.

My vision of it has a railing, so I'd like to keep to it. 

7 hours ago, kazmania7 said:

Do you have a thin plasticstuct sheet I think they're called, say like 0.10 mm thick that's really bendable. Cut it in a 1/2 in.-

1 in. strip depending how u glue to balcony either covering the entire lip of the balcony or place it on top of the floor. Lip would be best. You can cut diamond squares evenly along its length also (exacto would be most you need) and you said 

you already have the piping which you can glue/melt on the top part (to give you an image like you would see in a garden

or house fence). I suggested the diamond holes so that your summoner bottom half isn't completely obscured. (p.s. the plasticstruct is what I use to build houses, building structures when I was into model railroading way back when, should even be able to get at a hardware store like ace if memory serves me right...hell getting old, lol.)

Ahh! Great ideas! I have plenty of plasticard. I'd just have to make a cool design for the railing. 

I think this is what I'll try for tonight. 

2 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

I liked the post and cords but the posts seemed to0 bulky and could have possibly blocked the view of any minis behind them. If you want to stay with that look, I just had an idea. Use toothpicks for the posts (with the points removed) and use sewing thread instead of the heavy cord. It would give you a similar look without blocking the line of sight too much.

I tried toothpicks at first and nearly went through my finger trying to drill through them with my pin vise :wacko: 

• Like 2

Well, now that you've dipped your foot in the pool, you could get the Modeler's Multi-Tool which looks to be a great hand held mini-vise.  Of course, there might be a better option for holding toothpicks to drill them, but that was the first one that wasn't over $30 and would fit with the rest of our tools.  And I'm leery of spending too much time on that site because I might need something.  

I think smaller will help bring the scale back.  I think you'll need something thicker than thread... you might could get some of the thread the crossstich crafter's use.  it has at least 6 threads that twine together.  You can peel off however many you need and then treat it with whatever you wanted for pre-paint.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

I tried toothpicks at first and nearly went through my finger trying to drill through them with my pin vise :wacko: 

Ouch! Yeah, we definitely don't you to injure yourself further. I do like the plasticard idea, with the right design it could work.

• Like 1