Arydis

Creating depth by using varnish?

The goal is to make a miniature's shield look almost like a cracked crystal portal (to a galaxy).  My thought to achieve this is to create an illusion of depth with an underpainting, MANY layers of varnish, and even small touches of paint between layers.  Being a mini, there won't be too much bulk, but I wondered if anyone had any experience with a project like this and could offer any pointers.  Would this idea work?   

I've done "cracked" marble that looks pretty good, and you won't get there with layers of varnish.

The layers we work with are just too thin to create the effect you want.

What I do is to get some thinned paint and very very very lightly make the "crack."  Do this a couple times, creating the deepest cracks.  Then, a couple more with slightly darker paint.  Keep all the lines roughly parallel, grouping the faintest in one direction (let's say 45 degrees), then the next 'level' at 55 degrees . . . creating the illusion that there are different levels that crack in slightly different ways.  The effect is that things deeper will not be as visible (you can do the same thing when painting a landscape by keeping the colors lighter - it gives things in the distance a fuzzy feeling of distance).

It's also important not to draw straight lines when doing the cracks - nature doesn't like straight lines, so have a lot of coffee and draw your line.  Lightly.  Like, barely touching the surface light.  Use a brush with a very good point.

• Like 5

If you want layers with any thickness at all, you may want to try out Tamia Clear Arcylic Paint (sku: X-22).

It's NOT a vater-based acrylic, though, so you need to be extra, extra certain that the previous layer is absolutely dry before adding another...

It's also 'not good' for good brushes.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      I'm planning to test some different ways of varnishing Bones, since there is some confusion and some materials seem to dry sticky, or turn sticky after some time.

This is going to be a long-term experiment because of the aforementioned change over time.

I have a dozen rats and five mummies from the first two Bones Kickstarters which I have painted up in colors known for their shininess (the blacks and reds on the rats) and their matte qualities (the grey bases and the linen color on the mummies).

These are super quick paints, just there to test the results.

Once they are fully cured I plan to number them under their bases and experiment with different combinations of matte and gloss finish, including at least one unvarnished of each type.

I plan to report back after some time has passed.

• By Splurch
      I seal my miniatures with Liquitex High Gloss Varnish through an airbrush and then do a matte coat. Last year, I put a number of figures away sealed with gloss but did not get around to putting a matte coat on them. Figures were primed with Badger Stynylrez, had several paint brands used on them and washed with an ink/liquitex medium/flow improver/slow dri home made mix. Some of these figures were Reaper Bones, some were not. They were all kept in a display case that, while not airproof, does keep dust out and is not in direct sunlight. The metal, resin and hard plastic figures have cured just fine and are not sticky at all. Even the bases of the bones figures, which are green stuff or plastic are not sticky. Only the bones figures themselves have become tacky. Some are barely sticky, some are so sticky I can press my finger to them and life the figure up without fear of it falling. I don't know when the problem happened, but the figures were sealed at various points last year and some had no issues for at least weeks after being sealed. Other bones painted at the time that were not sealed do not have this issue.

The problem seems to be some kind of reaction with the bones material and the liquitex high gloss varnish that happens through the primer/paint. I've only read up on issues with them becoming tacky when aerosols that react with the bones material. I'm concerned if I matte them, the tackyness will just come through again. I had some issues with the same problem with Liquitex High Gloss and bones a few years ago when I started using it. After some change in application/use I eventually got it to work without issue (or at least with no immediate issue.)

Has anyone else experienced your bones becoming tacky months after being sealed with no issues beforehand? Any idea why it is happening or if there is something I can do to fix and/or prevent it?
    • By knarthex
      Hey folks!

A newcomer to the forums just made a comment that they did not know what Dullcote was, so after explaining what it was and adding a pic of the can, I thought I would add a link to a discussion on sealers....

Imagine my surprise when I searched the pinned resources to find nothing listed!

Now a search of this forum gave me many hits to a lot of different threads, but they were all about a problem, or people asking questions or something other.

So I decided to start a thread talking about Sealers.

Now I use Dullcote Spray Lacquer from Testors, and have been using it for over 30 years.

I am not liable to change any time soon...
      I like the nice flat coat that it always gives me when I use it.

It does have it's drawbacks though.
      It can hide?, remove?, blur?, your subtle high lights. (Not sure what the right word is, but your high lights can disappear. This has only happened to me once, when I was painting my Behir, and I was not a happy camper.
      Went back and did them again a little stronger, and didn't have the problem again...

Spray sealers can 'Frost' if they are sprayed on in areas of high humidity. This will make you tear your hair out, as your wonderful paint job now looks like it has been out in the cold over night....
      I have fixed this at last once by re spraying in a non humid environment, but not something I want to experience again....

When I need to put Decals, or water slide transfers as they are sometimes known, I will use Glosscote on the model before doing the decaling. The reason for this is that the Gloss finish is much smoother, making the decal fit to the model better. (there are other things that I do as well, but this isn't about decaling)

I have read that some folks will Glosscote, then Dullcote their gaming pieces, as the Glosscote offers better protection, and the Dullcote takes the shine back off...

The only difference in the cans is the cap of the Glosscote is clear, while the Dullcote looks frosted, so I have started writting on the cans with a sharpie so that I am sure which is which.

I have some 30 year old Polly S Flat Finish brush on sealer, as well as Testors Aztek Clear Matte Airbrush sealer, but I have used neither as of now...

I also have a pot of GW 'Ardcote, that I bought not knowing it is nothing more than a clear gloss sealer. I have used this on gems or critter tongues, things I want shiny, but as it gets applied to my minis after Dullcote, I don't know how it would react to paint.

I know that our hosts Reaper make a brush on sealer, but I have no experience with it...

So chime in folks with your experiences and brands of sealers that you use!

George

• By hammer570
      Hey all,

After sealing my Eregris Darkfathom tonight and reflecting on the experience of painting him, I discovered a few issues with my approach that I would really like to rectify before the next detail heavy mini (read: mini that I spend way too many hours on ).  For the glove fringes and the tassles hanging from the pauldrons, I wanted a wash to create depth.  However, the actual topography of these features is very shallow, so I had to let the wash sit there pretty heavily basically until it dried naturally (some areas I'll remove pooled wash with a clean brush if it's too much) in order to take hold in the cracks so to speak.  The result was pretty much staining the whole area rather than just the little nooks I was shooting for.

TL;DR - What are some preferred methods for creating depth or separation in very small areas where a wash won't sink into the desired areas without staining the foreground?
    • By 72moonglum
      So all, I just finished something this morning, the combination of middle age and wanting to get things done before people start waking up and make me do other random fun things (like take down the Christmas decorations) and I want to seal it.  I normally wait for a day for whatever reason, but I'd like to get this figure finished and move on.  Is there a recommended minimum drying time for paint before you throw varnish on it?
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 3 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)