phantom1592

7 DAY/5 HEADS Ma'al CHALLENGE!

Well... the time is nearly upon me. I'm on my last night of work for the next six days, so it's time to tackle this beastie! Or at least it will be tomorrow, Just setting up the thread and planning my attack. I've painted all the other 'large' things, but this is the first I've seen of the 7-day challenges. I'm actually pretty excited about it.  A lot of my normal strategies are thrown out the window because of the rule stipulations and I'm NOT sure I'll be able to get the result I want... I have a plan for the wings, but that may be needed to come back to after the challenge is over... Still not sure yet. I've made a reputation for making the most of the tools I have for interesting results... Just not sure yet about THESE tools.. 

So yeah... I've got it fitted and washed... I've replaced the paints I needed... and I tied up any brush bigger than 0 and threw them in a drawers to avoid mistakes... Just need to finish out this shift, grab a few hours sleep... and start the clock. The weekend should be fine, but I'm going to lose some time on Monday... I still think I have it in me!! 

Frankly the biggest issue I predict is going to be internet access. I have my phone, but I hate typing on that... hence the cut and pasting being done tonight.  Still think I can do this though!!! 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, OneBoot said:

1.  You may use no brushes larger than Size 0.  As Size 0 can vary by company and brand, the average bristle  dimensions are 10mm long by 1mm wide.  When selecting brushes, try to be as close to this guideline as possible. 

2.  You have 7 full days to complete from your posted start time (including a picture with a time stamp from a phone or computer screen is helpful to establish this) to complete the model.

3.  All visible areas must be painted, and all paint must be applied with a regulation brush.

4.  No drilling, filing, mold line removal or other preparation work is permitted before start time.  The only preparation allowed is to dry fit your pieces to make sure the model is complete, and do any boiling and reshaping necessary to correct warping and return the model to "factory spec".   You may also clean the pieces with soap and water.

5.  All pieces as included in the box set at retail must be painted.  This includes, for example, the 5 adventurer figures included with Dragons Don't Share 2. (Note that this means you cannot remove any parts) 

6.  You must declare in your thread title that you are doing a 7-day challenge (ex: Ma'al drakar in 7 Days).  This way your thread gets noticed as a challenge so we can watch the fun and make arrangements for the prize if you succeed.

7. After declaration of completion in your WIP thread, you have 2 hours to submit your official entry photos in the Official Entries thread (this is to allow time for setting up of photo taking area). Up to 5 pictures per entry may be submitted. Link to entry thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76081-maal-drakar-7-day-challenge-entries-no-chatter/

• Like 11

Woo hoo! Welcome to the madness! :bday:

I'm glad you removed your too-large brushes from your painting area; we don't want any more accidental disqualifications, they're pretty heartbreaking for everyone. ::(: A reminder that "paint" includes things like ink and dry pigments, so if you use those they must also be applied with a regulation brush.

2 hours ago, phantom1592 said:

A lot of my normal strategies are thrown out the window because of the rule stipulations and I'm NOT sure I'll be able to get the result I want...

This right here is the essence of the Goblin Challenges! ^_^ They are intentionally time-constrained, which forces you to make hard choices between what looks best and what will actually let you finish in time. Remember that perfect is the enemy of done, and that unexpected distractions will come up that nibble away at your time.

My advice: Have an Awesome Painting Plan, but also have one or two Time Crunch Backup Plans. For example, let's say you want to do red scales on the body with awesome orange and yellow highlights. Backup plan #1 might be to only highlight with yellow, and Backup plan #2 may be "just get red paint on all the things aaaaahhh!!!"

Best of luck to you, you'll need it! I'll be rooting for you! ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Awesome Painting Plan, but also have one or two Time Crunch Backup Plans. For example, let's say you want to do red scales on the body with awesome orange and yellow highlights. Backup plan #1 might be to only highlight with yellow, and Backup plan #2 may be "just get red paint on all the things aaaaahhh!!!"

The time I haven't really internalized yet. It SOUNDS like a ton of time and I really don't have that many distractions being single and on vacation... but everyone is freaking out about it which DOES make me concerned... so I keep flip flopping on that.  Can't imagine that I really spent more than 7 actual days on any of the other big figures... and If I don't multitask with a dozen other projects I THINK I can handle that... 

For me it's that 'size 0' only rule that. concerns me... Before I knew about this challenge I had picked up sticks, and sponges, and learned that Zenthil highlighting stuff... and everything except an airbrush (though they were priced ;) ) Now looking at my lonely tiny brushes... It's more the actual technique that I'm curious about...

It'll be exciting, and I can always go back later and retweak some things, but if I finish it in the challenge, I really want it to be the finished FINISHED project. Point at it years later and say BAM! 7 days!!

We'll see :) 

• Like 8

Another challenger steps up! Heh. May you have better luck than us goblins. ^^

I .. okay, so, it is, in fact, kind of crazy. But I didn't find myself freaking out over the time limit, or even the brush size (I did Khanjira, and finished well under limit). For me, it was the part where I wasn't /quite sure/ I could do what I wanted to do and get it to look right. That's probably going to be your biggest hurdle; can I do this, is it going to work? Can I make it work, even if something goes to hand in a hellbasket? How many brushes am I going to ruin? o.0

It worked out. I still finished with a couple of hours to spare. My advice? Don't worry about it; just do it. You have a plan, you have a general idea what you want to do. .. just buckle down and do it.

And don't let the brain weasels get you, even if you do something stupid. ^.~

• Like 5

Welcome to the fun! My best advice is to take breaks. I tend to get really focused and ended up starting at 5am when I got up to feed the critters and stopped at 2:30am. I was exhausted after 5 days when I had to go back to work. Luckily I work for the state and no one is in good shape on Mondays! If it hadn't been for the dogs wanting to go out, I probably wouldn't have taken any breaks. And if you have old brushes - use them for base coating. I brought two brushes out of retirement just for that task. Amazingly, they lasted for the entire model and I never even broke out my shiny new ones - love my Rosemary brushes.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

I find that there's enough room on a cheap airbrush to stick a #0 label on it...

I could also stick a #0 label on a cat. Doesn't mean I could use it to apply paint to a Challenge mini, though.

Huzzah!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OneBoot said:

I could also stick a #0 label on a cat. Doesn't mean I could use it to apply paint to a Challenge mini, though.

Huzzah!

I hope that never becomes a challenge!!! I don't even have a cat.....

• Like 3

7 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

Maybe the rule should read a "Size 0 hair- Brush"???

(Just maybe that could help cut down on the jokes / questions? 

Though the rules description pretty much does that! )

• Like 1

Step one... base with craftsman Dark Gray, along with a ton of thinner and retarder. 

Step two.. perch buffet dinner.... 

Hopefully it'll be dry enough to start the washing with deep grey, and highlighting with grey, and possibly gray wolf and white.... haven't decided yet on how many layers to go up. Never dry brushed with this small a brush..

1503087651275634072659.jpg

• Like 14