• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small to

Progress on the bunker and on the ruins.       Didn't like how using a wash to weather the ruins looked so I went with some sponge applied chipping.    Originally I used

Some more industrial ruins pieces     The bits of white where the straws attach to the bottles is the clay that I've stuffed into the ends of the straws, hoping it will help keep

Posted Images

Regarding cheap ideas for terrain bits:

Juice Bottle Lid Pedestals:

I save lids from Tropicana and certain other drinks that have a sort of "gothic arch" thing going on with the design:

large_b98942db-afc6-486a-967c-5bc2f7c0c1

(Note the orange lid at top.)  I sometimes use these as extra-large bases for extra-large Bones models, or else as a dais for a statue, once spray-painted black and then given grey highlights.  Alternatively, find a cardboard or PVC tube of the right diameter to insert, and it makes a massive column topper.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, Knochensack said:

Looking forward to seeing it finished 

Not finsished but I've got the bases in decent shape and I've glued the interior piping of my four bases of the industrial terrain.

59bc64c65782a_StorageTanks4.thumb.jpg.ec855eefe80f6c5774ddb73a31cbd718.jpg

Also have these objective markers made from Deadzone stuff.

ObjectiveMarkers1.thumb.jpg.ec6bda5f5c218d5f5df359bd969b02b0.jpg

I do have some of those orange juice lids but I think they are mostly already serving as bases for some fantasy statues.

I am tempted to get some of these Tehnolog plastics.  They are slightly cheaper than Forgeworld Primarchs.   On the other hand I've found that not everyone shares my sense of humor...

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2dfd27ac937447ef3eb2001568e0134c.jpg

• Like 10
  • 3 months later...

This is one of many projects I need to get back too.  Although until the weather gets better to the point I can spray outside, I dunno.

But I was randomly walking around in a farm supply store and found something interesting.  

5a55102d5495d_Terrainbits.thumb.jpg.913f6d1750f4695fe1965ce4957f07fa.jpg

Namely those yellow bits of plastic are made to hold electrical fence away from posts.  IMO they should make some nice supports and were pretty cheap considering how many come in a bag.

Also shown some mesh that's for keeping leaves out of gutters and a bit of grating that I cut out of a screen door protector.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

NICE FINDS! My friend, Bill, used to go walking through Home Depot with me asking what I'd use different things for. I'd tell him what I could make from whatever; then he'd tell me what it was used for.

We both agreed that what I came up with was more interesting. All that aside, you have some interesting things going on. Have FUN with it all!

• Like 4

Re: Curlers as ladders: Absolutely BRILLIANT!  :D  My own workaround was to get boxes of heavy staples and stick them into foam-core-walled buildings (such that the interior was safely closed away so that I'd never be getting my fingers with the prickly points sticking out the other side).  However, that still requires a bit of effort in lining the "rungs" up just SO, whereas this looks like a far more natural solution.

• Like 1