I thought I followed this a while ago but I guess not. I'm following now though because all these pieces look great.

I've only just started getting into terrain, so seeing the results you're achieving at low cost gives me hope.

• Like 1

Rat13 inspired me to actually do some of the bottle cap objectives I've been thinking of doing:  

40K-Barrels.thumb.jpg.e86e0cbed024619a555a8f0f81ce0193.jpg

I tried to print some numbers on blank transfer paper but only the black seems to be opaque enough and these are pretty dark to read black text on.

I think the green barrels to the left will end up in a toxic waste dump.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

40K-Barrels.thumb.jpg.e86e0cbed024619a555a8f0f81ce0193.jpg

Really digging the way you did the nozzles/vents on these. 

29 minutes ago, Corsair said:

I made ones for Space Wolves out of fire hydrants, beer barrels and doggie bones...

That must be quite a sight.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

I made ones for Space Wolves out of fire hydrants, beer barrels and doggie bones...

Pics will so be needed at some point... 

I gave them to another 40K player when I got out of the game. I may still have some barrels left and will make up another one.

• Like 1

If you look closely at those barricades , you can see bits of yellow where the spray primer didn't stick.  Since these are plastic spacers designed to insulate electric fencing and not expected to be painted maybe that's not surprising.  

Since I've had similar problems with other "soft" plastics (like the bendy straws you can see) I'd like some advice for priming stuff not designed to be painted.  Should I try PVA, gesso something else?  Is there nothing for it but to sand?

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 1

On some of the stuff I did for Dr. J's 40K, I did my usual white over black base coat. Then I did a spray coat of Krylon Workable Fixative. I found that the paint adhered better to the fixative than to the plastic.

• Like 1

Krylons Workable Fixative is meant to be used with watercolors. It seals the painted colors so they won't blend with new colors applied over them.

It also makes a surface that makes new coats cling more readily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I used the time I spent watching some soccer this weekend turning some sprues into bricks and then built these.

Debris_1.thumb.jpg.758c26a9ef9ade42600b3df02831b3b5.jpg

The sprue bricks are surprisingly convincing but I'll have to think about how these could be more accommodating for minis.

• Like 8