On 11/6/2019 at 11:08 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

Since I've had similar problems with other "soft" plastics (like the bendy straws you can see) I'd like some advice for priming stuff not designed to be painted.  Should I try PVA, gesso something else?  Is there nothing for it but to sand?

So I tried a few of the above suggestions including malefactus' fixative but while they worked to a degree, they didn't work to the degree I think would be necessary to provide public terrain at my FLGS. Admittedly that's a pretty high bar when it comes to indestructability. 

When I was applying some Polyshades to the brick piles above and was cursing the fact that I somehow had a bit of it on my hands despite wearing gloves, a light bulb went off and I applied said sticky goo to a few few bits of plastic then sprayed some paint after it dried.  Promising,  very promising.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small to

Some more industrial ruins pieces     The bits of white where the straws attach to the bottles is the clay that I've stuffed into the ends of the straws, hoping it will help keep

Progress on the bunker and on the ruins.       Didn't like how using a wash to weather the ruins looked so I went with some sponge applied chipping.    Originally I used

Posted Images

4 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

So I tried a few of the above suggestions including malefactus' fixative but while they worked to a degree, they didn't work to the degree I think would be necessary to provide public terrain at my FLGS. Admittedly that's a pretty high bar when it comes to indestructability.

You could go old school and use artists Gesso.  If you have not tried.  It is a thicker acrylic paint normally used on canvas as a primer.  Some benefits in this situation are that it sticks to itself, is fairly tough and will shrink onto a surface holding tight.  Might fit the bill for what you are looking for.   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

When I was applying some Polyshades to the brick piles above and was cursing the fact that I somehow had a bit of it on my hands despite wearing gloves, a light bulb went off and I applied said sticky goo to a few few bits of plastic then sprayed some paint after it dried.  Promising,  very promising.  

I missed the Game Store usage. You could make the stuff out of reinforced concrete & there will be some ham fisted oaf that will destroy it. I had a moron make a hole in a terrain piece so he could see what the inside was made of. Whatever you leave at your game store is inevitably doomed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

Inspired mostly by Eric's Hobby Workshop on YT I've started to make some (hopefully) better industrial terrain.

1996118118_Terrainbits15.thumb.jpg.8e473c721ebd3fe17e01ec4cc3541839.jpg

Perhaps the pipe goes too high?  Those fans will be installed into the ends of the cans once they are painted.  The fit is pretty much perfect.

Here is the plumbing back end.

1582895996_Terrainbits16.jpg.8d5277febbfd041149e6fa00cde274e2.jpg

Straws will connect the juice bottle with that smoking bit of plastic.  Also plan to get some nail art bits to add as rivets.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Also plan to get some nail art bits to add as rivets.

Google my moniker and look at the second entry in the scratch building section.  I run down many of the commercial products that will help you do rivets.  They will come up smaller that the nail art beads and will give you better results. 

Edited by snitchythedog
edit foo
  • Like 4

Working on another piece.  The fact that the turbine is held onto the two base pieces means that I need to have at least a third point of support the walkway.  

1898656566_Terrainbits20.thumb.jpg.f36765857bd459a831711d1c145cf495.jpg

Also, I think that the support structures need to have the flat areas painted, maybe it the blue I used on the storage tanks.  

• Like 9
36 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

I decided that a lot of these pieces are a bit too large, especially if they were to be used for Kill Team. 

They may be too large for killteam if you actually use the killteam board. If you toss out the board however the game still plays about the same and bigger terrain pieces fit. That's how my gaming group has been playing it, you do lose the almost claustrophobic feel however.

Just an idea; I've really enjoyed watching these builds. You've certainly given me ideas for some new terrain. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2