Apparently I've lost my mind because despite the FLGS closing and the fact I can't really keep up with the flow of books and models that GW throws at you, I've somehow decided to get myself out of my covid hobby funk by making some more industrial terrain.

I ordered some of the Maelstrom's Edge terrain sprues, water guns and, crucially, some soffit vents that I'm going to test as the basis of walkways and platforms.    Oh yeah, and I now have a 3D printer so I may well use that to make some fiddly bits.

So far a couple water guns and one sample of venting showed up.  

water_guns_1.thumb.jpg.5705d1ceac36c501fb14f5392a9641e0.jpg

Really liking the green bit of that top gun.  It even has places to hook up some pipes.

• Like 9

OK, since I have two of the tank guns and three with the ring handle, this should be enough...

IMG_20200921_180644683.thumb.jpg.34008e76a45be9004bc9ee5c2c32ddf9.jpg

Once you include this big boy that I think will form the central spine of a hive world vertical slum.

IMG_20200921_181105376.thumb.jpg.90eea630d579a28307d97a254a46f87d.jpg

A quick review of the soffit vents is that the ones with circular holes are a bit flexible, should be easier to cut into different shapes  but might need support.   The black one with slits is basically a ready to use walkway.  The one on the left with circular ends and square holes are really nice but it might lose its rigidity if you had to cut the supports that are under the grill.

• Like 6

if you could square off the bottom of the pipe it would probably look more 40k, since all their stuff seems to be built on arch and buttresses instead of full rounds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A bigger pipe could be haved and turned into some kind of quonset hut.  This one is a bit small for that. 

Or maybe I just need to think about how this could be some kind of Tau terrain.  

Two experimental railings.  One with come tube caps and zip ties and another with the edge of an bit of plastic that's used as an edge of area of tile.  Both are a bit fiddly.  The one with the zip ties should be pretty robust.

Railing_Test_1.jpg.41b2efa32865f61eaab32669796ffe79.jpg

• Like 3

This tile edge trim looks very promising.  It's similar to the beige bits  I was messing with in the previous pic but designed to go against a wall so doesn't have a rounded extrusion that gets in the way.  And I like the pattern of holes.

Tile_Railing_q.PNG.6fdacb4a7a2d0a72bcdb104409e1bfab.PNG

• Like 1

Got a different bit of pipe and cut it in half  (irrigation pipe maybe?)  Added zip ties corrugated paper, Maestrom bits, and some plastic shims I found while waiting for a price check.

Terrain_bits24.thumb.jpg.989bb43b2645fea92aa703d3176bb371.jpg

Terrain_bits25.thumb.jpg.3fde8e66410cdc8ff8ee2094b959a7b0.jpg

Also cut off the grip and trigger from a watergun then repaired with another of those shims and a grate from the Maestrom sprue.

Terrain_bits26.thumb.jpg.c4648af2fe2e3b6b28c7878ba715d940.jpg

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 6

An attempt to use some syringe plungers for some anti-tank barriers.  

Terrain_bits29.thumb.jpg.b8e7a749a7c69788425fd3e9981225a3.jpg

Some weird barrel like scatter made with conduit connectors, the ends of those plungers and some washers.

Terrain_bits30.thumb.jpg.29e8371cdbc097def2992a0d6c5c0afa.jpg

• Like 5