• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small to

Some more industrial ruins pieces     The bits of white where the straws attach to the bottles is the clay that I've stuffed into the ends of the straws, hoping it will help keep

Progress on the bunker and on the ruins.       Didn't like how using a wash to weather the ruins looked so I went with some sponge applied chipping.    Originally I used

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Fired up the terrain motor again.  It's running a bit ragged after being put away dirty and wet.  But not as ragged as this analogy...

Planning on turning these nesting boxes into some sci-fi buildings.   Debating on how much I should prioritize keeping the nesting feature and/or making the roofs removable vs. just making some solid buildings.

Nesting_boxes.thumb.jpg.6f3ec418e34efb003874cde40bba05dc.jpg

• Like 8

The sponge work looks good, gives a nice weathered texture. The bright blue feels wrong somehow.  Too fresh and bright, more like a child's toy than an architectural piece. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tell ya what will make those dark colors pop and make them look futurey: broad white or contrasting lines that go horizontally for a bit and then curve to vertical. Play around with how tight you want the curve to be but make the corners rounded rather than square. Then grunge them up normally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Inarah said:

The sponge work looks good, gives a nice weathered texture. The bright blue feels wrong somehow.  Too fresh and bright, more like a child's toy than an architectural piece. 

Well the roof will covered by a mesh floor, if that's what you are worried about.  But I'm not convinced by that color being the under color either.  A bit to saturated or something that an artist could explain.

I would like to have a bit more color to contrast all the rusted industrial stuff I've bashed together but maybe this is a bit too far.

Edited by lowlylowlycook

So for those containers at the top of the page, should the stencil I make for them say "Evergreen" or "Evergiven"?

And I think I have a slight idea that if I cut the stencil into the back side of some corrugated paper then I might be able to limit the leaking.  Thoughts?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

So for those containers at the top of the page, should the stencil I make for them say "Evergreen" or "Evergiven"?

And I think I have a slight idea that if I cut the stencil into the back side of some corrugated paper then I might be able to limit the leaking.  Thoughts?

I believe Evergreen is the company name, appropriate for containers.  Evergiven is a ship name, I think only applied to objects or equipment belonging to the ship which can be removed, but which you don't want to go walking off. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

I believe Evergreen is the company name, appropriate for containers.  Evergiven is a ship name, I think only applied to objects or equipment belonging to the ship which can be removed, but which you don't want to go walking off. 

Yeah but what will be funnier when I break them out for a sci-fi game in 5 years?

I doubt that many folks in the general public will remember the Evergiven in a few years.

Personally, I'd do "Evergreen," use something else sci-fi, game specific, or make up something on my own.

• Thanks 1
On 5/27/2021 at 11:03 AM, lowlylowlycook said:

For many of my Reaper containers, I'm making fictional company names based on the names of my various friends I've played games with over the decades. For others I'm doing fictional company names from various sci-fi shows/movies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1