Sign in to follow this  
trappleton

Goblin Pyro! First attempt at OSL, C&C please?

He looks fantastic! ::):

I'm not great at OSL but how about painting the next goblin in much darker tones as if it's night or he's in a cave? That way, you can achieve a greater contrast with the lighting against his body & how far it raidiates outward.

• Like 6

Looking good. I'm sure the camera is not doing it justice. 

Take a look at my first attempt at OSL torch light. What helped me was using a small LED light I had and shining it on the guy from the point of view of the torch. Additionally, as you move away from the source it begins to dim, obviously, and that color is different from the one at the origin. From my studies of what other people far more skilled from me said is that red and orange are your go to for torchlight. Yellow would only really be super close to the source. Unless the source is super close to the object in question then yellow is all over the place. But the same rules apply for a more realistic approach. 

I found that if I didn't have bright enough colors in my collection I would glaze the area with white then reglaze it with the color i had... after it dries of course. If you don't let it dry you get a pink color from the white/red. Dilute the white and build it up. 

The farther you get from the source the more the color of the tunic or what have you starts showing up.  

Lastly, contrast (as TheOldGuard said) is what sells the illusion. darken the spot around the bright spots and the bright spots stand out more. If you have a fear of messing it up, do it in diluted layers until you get to what looks good to you. 

Again, I'm no master but It was far less scary once I started doing it. I now look for ways to add it to miniatures.

Here are some links that Ub3r gave me when I started trying to learn it.

You came to the right place... Here you go:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-object-source-lightning.html

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/08/20/a-beginners-guide-to-heat-and-light-part-2-fire-and-osl/

Spoiler

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4

OSL is a particular skill to master, but i think for your 1st attempt you got very close!  I love the slight glow on his fingers and head,  the only constructive critism i could offer for the others is think about how the light from the torch would affect his sword metal.  light a candle and grab a butter knife,  doesn't have to be a ton of color, but maybe a dry brush highlight along the facing edges...but honestly i'm just reaching for something to offer as advice.  I'd rate that 9.7/10.

great work!!!!

• Like 1

I'm still trying to 'get OSL myself, so I can't offer much advice.

That's very good for a first try! Keep up the good work.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      More to come for this little dude. 

Tried doing a couple things people suggested in my other projects. Mixed inks into paints, went thinner on paint and more layers, focused on less colors and more mixing. 

Pretty happy so far. 
      Will be following up with damage report, but had to post.

Always good to have feedback if you see improvements. 

• By R2ED
      Goblin Menace indeed!  I was doing fine with the other group of goblins I did 2 weeks ago, but these little green bast...guys were not as fun.  

Wins:
      * Found an EXCELLENT new paintbrush - Master's Touch from Hobby Lobby.  Dang! I've been missing this level of spring in the bristles and fine edge with them.  Love it. 
      * Tried diluting steel color with black ink to help with application.  Worked great!  Will do again.
      * Switched the Sta-Wet Palette paper that came with it to just simple parchment paper.  I don't know who uses the actual paper in the Sta-Wet Palette, but that stuff is terrible!  
      * Still using as much breast cancer awareness color pink (got like 4 bottles...need to use!)
      * dry brushing the hair came out much better this time.  Lighter touch and more layers - worked better.

Misses:
      * Eyes this time were more difficult.  Tried doing those chibi eyes, but it wasn't as expressive this time.  
      * Tried a base color of off-white in the eye - also didn't seem to give as much character to them.
      * Washed with Agrax Earthshade around the major bends and muscles.  Didn't seem to work as well this time.  I think it's time to try that black lining on the next goblin and see if Iike that instead.
      * using the new brushes have a bit of a learning curve to them.  Much more springy and reduced my need for pressure, however this caused some interesting streaks when I didn't mean to.  
      * I did it again! I tried using my finger to dab off an excess streak and ended up taking off some of the baselayer AND primer.  With that being the second time it's happened - the best way I can describe what I did was the scene in Top Gun where the flight tower Captain gets a second fly-by.  

Overall the color of Goblin skin still works great, but basecoat of VCG Flat Green may not have been best.  May just add black to Goblin Skin and then lighten it up as I go next time.  

Attempted different primers on them:
      Girl with spear - primed in black with Vallejo Black spray primer
      Chainmail goblin - primed in Vallejo Leather Brown spray primer (didn't like that as much...)
      Stone chuckers - both of them were done in paint-on Vallejo grey primer.  (worked best)

Overall, they aren't bad, but they aren't my best.  Once I base them I'll feel better.  Might even go back after a few days to touch them up to see if I can straighten out the things I missed.

As always - open to feedback.  Thanks for the tips on the Metallics thread.  I put it to use, but still learning.

• By Cyradis
      This one was done for Season 2 of the Vancouver Miniature Painting Club. It is Jexx the Small Bomba by Big Child Creatives. He's a 75mm scale figure, but he's smaller as a little goblin, perhaps 40mm in height total.

Most folks got a good cast of the goblin. Mine was terrible. Ear was chipped in two places, and I only found one part to glue back. The ankle had deep cracks in it, and indeed, did break at one point and I had to repair it. Had mold slip and really bad mold lines. The edge of the hat had crumbly resin. He had a huge blob of excess resin on his nose next to an air bubble - that took a knife, filing, and filling to get to normal goblin nose.

So.... I wasn't super into this one.

But it was good practice on OSL and non-human skin tones. I did similar to the box art on this one too. Leaned into warm hues with the torchlit side, and blues on the non-torch side. Had a rough image in my head that the pants were originally white, but he's a goblin and peed in them regularly. Overall turned out fine. Still not my favorite. Pictures are "sufficient", although again I wish I had my buddy to take better ones!

Unlike the other projects, I did TMM on the bombs and buckles, since I was too lazy for NMM.

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of the forth and last mini I entered in the Pathfinder painting contest. 60118, Order of the Pyre's Hellknight sculpted by Bobby Jackson.
      This time, the colors I selected are completely different from the display model of the Online store. I hope you will enjoy it.

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of the third model I entered in the Pathfinder painting contest. This is the metal version of 60009 Seoni the Sorceress sculpted by Bob Ridolfi.
      The challenging part on this one was painting the tattoos and the other freehand on her clothes.

• Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)