1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

They go dark to light, ending with orange. I was wondering if you were going to end it with it fading to a darker colour once more, perhaps a dark blue of night.

Ah, I see your point. No, that wasn't something I'd planned for in my didn't really plan for anything planning. ::P:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

But you need to plan for planning! Especially when you're planing a plane on the plain plainly!

Plainly I pass on planning, particularly in precarious predicaments.

• Like 4

I'm not done for the night yet. I have a few things in process. The backs of the wings are nearly done, I've done some shading on the lighter heads and necks. And I finished the eyes on one of the heads. 

So I started out as I usually do for beastie eyes by using Warcolours One Coat Pink in the very corners of the eyes. Then I filled everything in with Warcolours One Coat Beige. 

Next I painted in the Iris with MSP Mossy Green with just a touch of Warcolours One Coat Green and a touch of Scale75 Eldandil Violet.

IMG_2375.thumb.JPG.01c99a9929c432f967b566f268bf221d.JPG

I missed taking a picture for the next step, but I filled in everything of the iris except the very outside with Scale75 Sherwood Green. 

Next, I used Scale75 Eldandil Violet to make little dashes around the iris. Just random placement. 

IMG_2377.thumb.JPG.3e5aa0a7081aa6030da0154c6b278c21.JPG

Then I did the same thing with Warcolours One Coat Yellow-Green. 

IMG_2378.thumb.JPG.b3108e85b13691d69c37730749d6fec6.JPG

Then I used Warcolours One Coat Beige to make a thin, slightly curved V shaped pupil. 

IMG_2379.thumb.JPG.5a3fed94541ae912cd629fb876659012.JPG

Then I took MSP Pure Black and filled in with a slightly smaller slightly curved V shaped pupil. As needed, I went back and forth reshaping this with the One Coat Beige until it looked right and the placement matched on both eyes. 

IMG_2380.thumb.JPG.d0bdb3f07477cc335447ceb0ef4a838e.JPG

Also not pictured, I broke up some of the Beige with MSP Mossy Green. 

Finally I used MSP Pure White to make a reflection spot at the top back side of the pupil. 

IMG_2381.thumb.JPG.9bbe45174b3e0ae014a950dfd234bc3c.JPG

Here's how he looks from the front. 

IMG_2382.thumb.JPG.da1f2ba689db8a947c2a855a617f9407.JPG

He just needs a little little bit of clean up on the eyelids and his eyes are done. 

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 21

I have your eye tutorial from DDS2 printed and kept in my painting tool box. Such a great way to do dragon eyes. Thanks for sharing your method!

• Like 4

On 8/30/2017 at 3:52 PM, Guindyloo said:

I should note that the purple was only one coat. There were a couple of spots that could've used some touch-up, but for the most part I was very, very pleased. I am not often a fan of Scale75's paints because I find them too thick and you have to shake them forever, but this one was a beautiful consistency and obviously covered very, very well. It was a pleasant surprise because it was exactly the colour that I wanted but I was nervous about using it since I've had a lot of trouble with my other Scale75 paints. If it had been the first Scale75 paint I'd used (or the first 5....) then I would've understood the hype behind them.

Awesome work!

You have so got this!

Vortex mixer....

the Scale F&G line is thinner than the Scale Color line, I normally thin the Scale Color 1 to 1, the F&G 2 to one, like MSP, Vallejo, WC, etc...

The metallics are more like the F&G line though, so experiment first....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pochi said:

I have your eye tutorial from DDS2 printed and kept in my painting tool box. Such a great way to do dragon eyes. Thanks for sharing your method!

Awwww thank you! It means a lot to me that you found it so useful! I love painting beastie eyes and it always helps when you enjoy what you're doing. 

So here's the next head's eyes. It's funny you should mention my DDS2 tutorial, because I actually looked back at that to see what colours I used for the blind eye....

IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.25a0375a2c2ca65c7129c94f1671951d.JPG

I did the glare a little bit differently here than I did for DDS2 and I decided not to leave any white showing, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. 

For the other eye, I started out the same as usual. Corners pink, inside beige. Then I painted the iris with MSP Marine Teal. Then I used Warcolours One Coat Turquoise and painted very thin lines in a circular pattern. 

IMG_2383.thumb.JPG.018680a938307650105493bf8a83cb34.JPG

Next I used Scale75 Eldandil Violet to make tiny dots in between the turquoise lines. 

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.2b14a3cfdf4cc0c3c8f3a3b1e202c65a.JPG

Next I made tiny dots of Warcolours One Coat Beige. 

IMG_2386.thumb.JPG.48448c23eae487e81cf7af96473616d2.JPG

Then with the Beige I put in a curvy V shape. 

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.1c5e5408bae09e12c9181ccd60146cf1.JPG

Then I filled that in with MSP Pure Black. If you're wondering why I bother with the Beige if I'm only going to cover it up, it's because it's easier to cover up if I don't like the placement or make a mistake. 

IMG_2388.thumb.JPG.c6b4fa32db278fe17ca3e6dd3b6eff97.JPG

Then MSP Pure White for the reflection. 

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.75fec255cd122c3cdf28045b96fdfdde.JPG

I also cleaned up the eyelid with Brown Liner. I struggled with this one a little bit. Lots of repainting and clean up and honestly I'm still not 100% happy with it so I'm going to see how I feel about it tomorrow. 

Looking at it now, I may have positioned the iris too far forward. 

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

Awwww thank you! It means a lot to me that you found it so useful! I love painting beastie eyes and it always helps when you enjoy what you're doing. 

So here's the next head's eyes. It's funny you should mention my DDS2 tutorial, because I actually looked back at that to see what colours I used for the blind eye....

IMG_2390.thumb.JPG.25a0375a2c2ca65c7129c94f1671951d.JPG

I did the glare a little bit differently here than I did for DDS2 and I decided not to leave any white showing, but otherwise it's pretty much the same. 

For the other eye, I started out the same as usual. Corners pink, inside beige. Then I painted the iris with MSP Marine Teal. Then I used Warcolours One Coat Turquoise and painted very thin lines in a circular pattern. 

IMG_2383.thumb.JPG.018680a938307650105493bf8a83cb34.JPG

Next I used Scale75 Eldandil Violet to make tiny dots in between the turquoise lines. 

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.2b14a3cfdf4cc0c3c8f3a3b1e202c65a.JPG

Next I made tiny dots of Warcolours One Coat Beige. 

IMG_2386.thumb.JPG.48448c23eae487e81cf7af96473616d2.JPG

Then with the Beige I put in a curvy V shape. 

IMG_2387.thumb.JPG.1c5e5408bae09e12c9181ccd60146cf1.JPG

Then I filled that in with MSP Pure Black. If you're wondering why I bother with the Beige if I'm only going to cover it up, it's because it's easier to cover up if I don't like the placement or make a mistake. 

IMG_2388.thumb.JPG.c6b4fa32db278fe17ca3e6dd3b6eff97.JPG

Then MSP Pure White for the reflection. 

IMG_2392.thumb.JPG.75fec255cd122c3cdf28045b96fdfdde.JPG

I also cleaned up the eyelid with Brown Liner. I struggled with this one a little bit. Lots of repainting and clean up and honestly I'm still not 100% happy with it so I'm going to see how I feel about it tomorrow. 

Looking at it now, I may have positioned the iris too far forward. 

The blind eye is awesome and I love the blue eye. For anyone who is a fan of a certain fantasy show whose 7th season just ended and you haven't watched all the way through, don't click the SPOILER.

It looks like Viserion's eye after the Night King brings him back from the dead!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Pochi said:

The blind eye is awesome and I love the blue eye. For anyone who is a fan of a certain fantasy show whose 7th season just ended and you haven't watched all the way through, don't click the SPOILER.

Reveal hidden contents

It looks like Viserion's eye after the Night King brings him back from the dead!

I assume you mean Game of Thrones, which I am extremely behind on, so I'm not clicking that. ::P:

Last update for the night. 

So these eyes are shaped pretty differently. I started them out as usual, pink corners, beige on he inside. But I also spent a lot of time lining them with Brown Liner so I knew exactly what shape I was working with. 

From there I filled in the iris with Warcolours Violet 3. Then I lined the outside of the iris with Warcolours Violet 4. 

IMG_2393.thumb.JPG.6881bd15e100b98ee0f2061f94e9959a.JPG

Next I kinda smooshed in some Warcolours One Coat Violet, concentrating on the inner corner. 

IMG_2394.thumb.JPG.9082df09baecf6e2d69445006b01ca7e.JPG

Then I mixed in a little bit of Warcolours One Coat Beige with the One Coat Violet and painted thin lines all across the iris. 

IMG_2395.thumb.JPG.8633a4896601cfd1b25330a74c3348e2.JPG

Then I mixed in some more of the beige and made some more lines. 

IMG_2396.thumb.JPG.0265c0d469ffc33427836e190bb05f6b.JPG

Next I put in the pupil with One Coat Beige, then over top of that with MSP Pure Black. This time I made sure that a sliver of the beige was still peeking out from behind the black. 

IMG_2397.thumb.JPG.6cdf99aac9e228355596ac83dc855755.JPG

Lastly MSP Pure White for the reflections. 

IMG_2398.thumb.JPG.fb6c3745614cd04282902aaf703c7abf.JPG

How the eyes look from the front. I'm gonna try to tighten up the beige slivers on the right tomorrow. I hadn't realized until now that they were so wide. 

IMG_2399.thumb.JPG.e91b3be997e098c7159a73f433abf534.JPG

I'm gonna go pass out for a few hours now. 

• Like 17

I apologize, I don't have process pictures for these eyes. I woke up much earlier than I wanted to because they were doing some kind of work in the apartment next door that included lots of banging and then there were children noisily running back and forth and screeching in the hallway for an hour. My nerves are pretty frayed right now and the struggle was real on these eyes. There's a bump on the left (his left) eye that complicated things. I've also got kind of shaky hands this morning, although I think eating something is helping with that. 

IMG_2404.thumb.JPG.b58303de9e827efae2c93b04c910d003.JPG

IMG_2405.thumb.JPG.718c9120269789d52aa0b7baebdf1419.JPG

The orange is MSP Pumpkin Orange, the yellows were MSP Mustard Yellow and Warcolours One Coat Yellow. 

Looking at the forward facing pic, I'm going to adjust the white in the left (his left) eye a little. 

• Like 17