So I was doing a glaze and it was looking BEAUTIFUL, I really, really loved it. But for some reason, something told me to take a picture to see how it was looking on camera and....it was not good. And when I say not good, I don't mean it was disappointing or not as nice as in person, I mean it looked like complete and utter garbage. Really, really bad. Fortunately, I hadn't done too much of it at that point so I was able to glaze over it with my basecoat and re-highlight it. So that's why I'm still awake and yet it's been 4 hours since I last posted an update. 

So here's yet another round of highlights with more skin tone added.

IMG_2423.thumb.JPG.26bf9e503c750e2c22da2b19b69ac6e1.JPG

I still need to do this round of highlights on the scales on the wings, but I can't keep myself upright any longer. Time to go pass out for a few hours. Hopefully there won't be any hammering waking me up and crushing my soul all day again. 

• Like 19

Hm. Sometimes I wonder if it looks great in real life and in your display cabinet but looks crap on camera what is more important?

Anyway great progress!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Hm. Sometimes I wonder if it looks great in real life and in your display cabinet but looks crap on camera what is more important?

Anyway great progress!

If I were solely painting it to put on my shelf, hands down I would have left the glaze. But since the contest for Ma'al is entered via picture and not in person, it makes no sense for me to spend all of this time and effort only to shoot myself in the foot by leaving something that looked bad on camera. 

Believe me, it wasn't an easy decision for me to destroy and re-do my work. 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Only you would have the skill to redo your work in the middle of a challenge. You can defeat her!

That's very high praise, Pezler, and I don't think it's entirely deserved, but thank you. 

Have some terrible pictures of where I'm at with the pink head/neck. 

IMG_2426.thumb.JPG.b079054496069d842e0aed6a1e768a16.JPG

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.b059156c67ed96e0652315388db3bc24.JPG

I dont think id mentioned that I shaded the 3 lighter colored heads/necks with GW Reikland Fleshshade. This is after I brought it back up to the base colour Vallejo Nocturna Reddish Flesh. 

I don't use washes a lot because I prefer to have control over my shading and one of the things that I especially don't like about washes is that because it gathers in any crevices, it often ends up shading areas that should actually be highlighted. But I do like them to do some quick high contrast shading for light colours like this where you don't want to have to do a ton of layers to break it all the way up from a really dark colour. 

• Like 15

37 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

That's very high praise, Pezler, and I don't think it's entirely deserved, but thank you. 

I think everyone here will disagree with you on that point.::):

Duncan Rhodes on Warhammer TV uses the washes as a recess shade all the time, he seems to know a way to get a lot more control out of them. Will have to go over his Tips of the Day again to see how that's done.

Just glancing at the Layer LTPK instructions, Rhonda mentions that lining should be done after the base coat but before the layers, just in case you get it in places you shouldn't. Guess that even with a steady hand, it can still be a little messy.::P:

• Like 5

On 9/2/2017 at 2:57 PM, Guindyloo said:

And now I have a headache and am taking a kitty snuggle break on the couch. 

>wakes up abruptly after being knocked off the couch by an alien queen and some cats<

'Huh, wha...oh, we need more popcorn'

>pads off in search of munchies<

I'm sorry I fell behind on this, but please keep right on kicking butt!

You're doing an amazing job here, keep it up!!!:winkthumbs:

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I think everyone here will disagree with you on that point.::):

Duncan Rhodes on Warhammer TV uses the washes as a recess shade all the time, he seems to know a way to get a lot more control out of them. Will have to go over his Tips of the Day again to see how that's done.

Just glancing at the Layer LTPK instructions, Rhonda mentions that lining should be done after the base coat but before the layers, just in case you get it in places you shouldn't. Guess that even with a steady hand, it can still be a little messy.::P:

And I'll continue to disagree that I'm the only one with such skill. ::P:

Mind you, I'm not dismissing washes by any means, they're just not my personal preference is all. Any method that gives you the effect that you're looking for is perfectly valid. 

Next round of highlights on the pink. I mixed MSP Bright Skin Shadow with the Reddish Flesh for this one. I'm just going to show the head for the steps since it's easier to take pictures of alone. 

IMG_2428.thumb.JPG.649b7e472af4f61d4bdbe1883e3c5d8e.JPG

IMG_2429.thumb.JPG.c97d5c2822d8cf564cc19ee64dff2728.JPG

• Like 13