congratulations.....   queen of the goblin challenges! 

I only wish I could do those eyes....   not even with a week to try would I come close!

The blends on the wing and scales are lovely and way beyond my skill set... you have set the bar very high on this one.

• Like 2

How did you manage to do all that with Bones 4 running at the same time?! ::o:

I'd be pausing to check for KS updates every 30 seconds.

• Like 2

This is soooo awesome!  I love the color choices.  The orange is my favorite.  Congrats on he accomplishment - I hope you can put this somewhere that you can look on it regularly and feel a warm glow of satisfaction.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I think the photos are really strong. They show the detail well, the colors are vibrant, focus is good, and there aren't any significant distractions.

Oh, and the dragon is cool too.

^_^

Hide contents

Really, really cool. I'm amazed at what you have created. And more amazed that you could do it under the handicaps of limited time and tools. I hope I get to see it at ReaperCon.

Thank you, Doug. I'm glad you approve of the photos....and the dragon. ::P:

I feel very torn about bringing him to Reapercon, honestly. While I'm very proud of the work that I did overall, there are parts of it that severely suffered due to the time constraints. Some of those things I can easily fix with paint over the next few weeks like highlighting the horns, spikes and claws and refining the base. But some things I simply can't do anything about without doing massive reworking and repainting, which I'm not sure that I have the heart to do. There are massive mold lines in places that are going to stick out like a sore thumb to the judges. My greenstuff patch job on the tail was absolutely abysmal. Overall, my prep work was mediocre at best and that sucks because I absolutely think that this was my best paint job to date. 

So I have to weigh the pros and cons. Take it as is, knowing that I'm going to get massively dinged for the bad prep, which is something that I didn't want to do again. Or spend the next few weeks reworking what I just about killed myself getting done so that I feel like I'm actually putting my best foot forward. 

I know which one my heart is leaning toward, but I know which one my back is leaning against. 

Ah, hell, I think I just made my decision. 

Can I use acetone to spot remove paint, or will that eat through the Bones material?

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

How did you manage to do all that with Bones 4 running at the same time?! ::o:

I'd be pausing to check for KS updates every 30 seconds.

That wasn't that hard for me simply because the kickstarter ran at a bad time for me so my initial pledge was all I could contribute at this time, the rest I'll have to add from time to time in the pledge manager. 

Also, y'all realize that I did take breaks, right? It wasn't hard to look at the email updates on my phone from time to time. ::P:

6 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

This is soooo awesome!  I love the color choices.  The orange is my favorite.  Congrats on he accomplishment - I hope you can put this somewhere that you can look on it regularly and feel a warm glow of satisfaction.

Usually I put goblin challenge figures straight away into the pantry so I don't have to look at them anymore. :lol: Ma'al Drakar, however is actually still on my desk, so I guess that's something.....or it's just because I passed out shortly after finishing him and then had to go to work this morning. ::P:

• Like 9

Just wow. This is such a beautiful paint job. I have no clue how you managed to get all this done in so little time, adding such incredible detail. Congratulations! You truly mastered this challenge!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Guindyloo said:

I feel very torn about bringing him to Reapercon, honestly.

Can I use acetone to spot remove paint, or will that eat through the Bones material?

I don't care whether you enter it. I just want to see it. ::D:

I do understand that it wasn't really done as a competition piece. And if you're flying, it would be ... tricky at best to bring that huge thing with, especially if you don't enter it. I really would like to see it some time, though.

So, what I found out about acetone and PVC: "As long as you don't let the acetone touch the PVC, you should be fine." It's possible that might be complex to arrange when stripping. ::D:

• Like 3

Your work on the eyes is tremendous!!  I actually think I used your DDS2 dragon's eye for when I painted mine.

I wish you had YouTube tutorials I would definitely watch them!  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Glamberry said:

Just wow. This is such a beautiful paint job. I have no clue how you managed to get all this done in so little time, adding such incredible detail. Congratulations! You truly mastered this challenge!

I don't have a clue how I managed it either. :lol: I made my obligatory sacrifice to the blood god, maybe that had something to do with it. ::P:

10 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I don't care whether you enter it. I just want to see it. ::D:

I do understand that it wasn't really done as a competition piece. And if you're flying, it would be ... tricky at best to bring that huge thing with, especially if you don't enter it. I really would like to see it some time, though.

So, what I found out about acetone and PVC: "As long as you don't let the acetone touch the PVC, you should be fine." It's possible that might be complex to arrange when stripping. ::D:

Well I'm driving so the flying complication doesn't exist. We'll see though. The good news is, one of the complications is not one anymore - I had to glue one of the wings for pictures because it wouldn't stay on its own and I wasn't looking forward to having to hold him with a wing attached. I went home for lunch and it turns out that I did an awful job of gluing it, as it popped right off. :lol:

Hmmm... it's the teeth that I'd like to strip as I just globbed unthinned paint on them to get them done. :zombie: But obviously I wouldn't want to toss the heads into simple green.

3 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Your work on the eyes is tremendous!!  I actually think I used your DDS2 dragon's eye for when I painted mine.

I wish you had YouTube tutorials I would definitely watch them!  

I'm glad my DDS2 tutorial helped you, that's always great to hear!

Thank you, I'm not so sure that youtube tutorials would be that helpful from me though. "Now watch me basecoat this for 4 hours" :lol:

• Like 8

Holy Crap those eyes are amazing!  Tutorial once you slay the beast and complete the challenge!!!

Edit:  helps to read the whole post and nothing but the post...tutorial in DDS 2 thread.....:rolleyes:

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bloodhowl said:

Holy Crap those eyes are amazing!  Tutorial once you slay the beast and complete the challenge!!!

Edit:  helps to read the whole post and nothing but the post...tutorial in DDS 2 thread.....:rolleyes:

No worries!

DDS2 thread eyes tutorial is here:

Ma'al Drakar eye tutorials start here:

Maybe I should compile all of the info into a single thread in the painting tips forum.

• Like 9