Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I'm planning to paint Ma'al Drakar as Dungeons & Dragons' Dark Lady, Tiamat.
She's going to be, by far, my biggest painting project. Before I start painting, I'm planning some conversions to make her look more like D&D's Chromatic Dragon.
I'd love to get any advice or tips that anyone would like to share about painting large models, or any of the other parts of the process. I'll share my plans, and try to keep up a WIP thread about this grand adventure.
My first step is going to be pretty drastic, so if anyone wants to jump in with advice, please do.
I have WotC's Gargantuan Black Dragon. The forward-sweeping horns are so iconic, my Tiamat's black dragon head (Ma'al's lower right head) should have horns like that. The Gargantuan Black's a perfect scale to use for Tiamat's horns. I'm actually planning to carefully cut the horns off the black dragon, make a 2-part mold, cast a set of horns for Tiamat, and reattach the horns back on the black dragon.
Am I out of my mind? Does any one see potential problems with this plan, other than the usual challenges of casting minis, etc?
Thanks in advance for any advice, feedback, and encouragement!
Ordered Ma'al Drakar to play the role of Tiamat in my Rise of Tiamat campaign I'm currently running. (Icons of the realm Tiamat is just to small IMHO)
Having just received it in the mail I'm finally understanding the scale of the project I have Doomed myself to. Lol
I was wondering if people had tips on mold line removal for pieces this large, what you suggest for Gap filling between all the assembled pieces, should I prime before assembly, and if there is a best way (or horribly wrong way) to pin all the pieces together.
My take on the classic coloring for notiamat. The process was quite a series of trial and error. This one has been taking up a lot of space on my shelf of shame and over the holiday i decided to make the final push and finish the project! these are just phone photos, i will take better shots and add them when I figure out how to get her into a light box! This is probably the largest (but not the heaviest) project I have tackled to date. i started with an assembled model and wound up tearing it apart to finish the job. I hope people enjoy her. I think it came out reasonably well. I did like the way the stone base came out and also the way the 5 colors are integrated into the body without making the dragon look patchwork or giving one color dominance. i had considered fading the wings through the 5 colors but it distracted too much from the heads.
Well she is finished now, I just need to apply some dulcoat and figure out where to display her. Let me know what you think! I will post close ups later
Who's Online 36 Members, 0 Anonymous, 31 Guests (See full list)
- Xiwo Xerase
- Patrik Strom
- Lidless Eye
- Dan S
- Grumpy Cave Bear
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Cranky Dog