Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

Maledrakh's Bones 3 Mystic Circle

VERY WELL DONE! The Stones painted up BEAUTIFULLY; a FINE array of colors & some SPLENDID brushwork. The ground cover is LOVELY; it completes the piece perfectly.

These are awesome stones!  If I could get my terrain from Dragons Don't Share II to look like a slightly more muted version of this I'd be happy.  Spoiler: it won't.

I've very little experience doing any kind of terrain base for miniatures.  What did you stick the stones on before apply the grass tufts and such?  If you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate a paragraph on what you did.

19 hours ago, Genghis_Sean said:

I've very little experience doing any kind of terrain base for miniatures.  What did you stick the stones on before apply the grass tufts and such?  If you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate a paragraph on what you did.

Generous is my middle name ::P:

If I understand you correctly, you would like to know what the bases are made of?

This henge is actually wholly made by Reaper like this, bases included. You can find it here: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/mystic circle/latest/77556

At any rate, such a set of standing stones can be DIY made with some styrofoam for the stones and some stiff board of some kind for the base. You can use PVA white woodworking glue for this, just make sure to leave it to dry overnight before touching them again. If you want a more interesting surface to the stones, you can coat them with PVA and stick some scraps of textured tissue paper (common kitchen tissue) here and there, together with some sand for effect, papier mache style.

I would recommend either foamcard (aka foamcore) which is a stiff plastic foam sandwiched between sheets of paper, and a commonly used material to build model buildings and bases from because it does not warp and is easy to cut, carve and sand. (If you use plain cardboard or a wooden plank, it will warp sooner rather than later.) Foamcard should be available from any good crafts shop.  This material is often used for advertising or point of sale-posters, standees and such in retail stores, maybe you can talk to your local stores and see if they might let you have some such for free when they no longer need it?

If you can't get foamcard, try using MDF wooden fiberboard, or plywood. Plasticard / sheet styrene will also do.

I paint these first with a black undercoat, then brush over with a dark greenish-grey. When dry, I drybrush heavily with a sandy yellow/brown and later much lighter with an offwhite.

I find the green and yellow give a much more interesting and naturalistic  stone colour than just using shades of grey.

I use superglue for the tufts of model grass, and I have a mix of several different types and colours of scatter material (aka flock, ballast, what have you, basically miniscule wood shavings that are coloured), that I glue to the base (i paint the base earth brown first) with PVA white woodworking glue).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Awesome.  I got the Mystic Circle with my Reaper 3 kickstarter, but it's still in the box.  It doesn't look like it would take long to paint compared to all the detail on a mini, but I didn't know what to use for the base.  You've given me some options.  Thanks.

• Like 1